Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Marie Laguerre assault

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That's not the case in France though. If you see someone being assaulted then bystanders have a legal duty to intervene or can nebe charged with non-assistance à personne en danger. I imagine a magistrate may be looking at this to see whether anyone could have intervened or whether it happened too quickly.
I knnow, It’s not reality though is it? Eg It’s the law in the first place not to commit crime but people still do sadly

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That, as I pointed out above, is just not true. In France, you're more likely to be prosecuted for not doing anything
I was thinking of England, as that's where we live, and if we saw someone fit a woman, we'd likely be at home in England. Maybe you'd be ok with it in France, but strictly speaking those people weren't in a position to stop an attack, as the attack had ended and the guy was walking away.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I was thinking of England, as that's where we live, and if we saw someone fit a woman, we'd likely be at home in England. Maybe you'd be ok with it in France, but strictly speaking those people weren't in a position to stop an attack, as the attack had ended and the guy was walking away.

My frustration wasn't that the guy wasn't decked, because of what you say. My frustration was that no one stopped him from getting away. He should have been held down until the Police arrived.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
That's not the case in France though. If you see someone being assaulted then bystanders have a legal duty to intervene or can nebe charged with non-assistance à personne en danger. I imagine a magistrate may be looking at this to see whether anyone could have intervened or whether it happened too quickly.

That, as I pointed out above, is just not true. In France, you're more likely to be prosecuted for not doing anything

Does that apply after the attacker is already walking away? There's a difference between not intervening to help someone and decking someone who is walking away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm surprised nobody has pointed out 'it wouldn't have happened if she had a gun' :facepalm:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was thinking of England, as that's where we live
We may live in England but the attack happened in France and English law doesn't apply there

Does that apply after the attacker is already walking away? There's a difference between not intervening to help someone and decking someone who is walking away.

I've absolutely no idea, I'm not a French lawyer. But there is a difference in French law and English law here given the obligation to help. My guess here is that no-one would be expected to intervene but if someone thought to give the bloke a bit of a slap, the authorities would be happy to turn a blind eye.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
We may live in England but the attack happened in France and English law doesn't apply there

I've absolutely no idea, I'm not a French lawyer. But there is a difference in French law and English law here given the obligation to help. My guess here is that no-one would be expected to intervene but if someone thought to give the bloke a bit of a slap, the authorities would be happy to turn a blind eye.

Quite possibly. But when Triggaaar responded to suggestions that the bloke should have been attacked in response, saying "The thing is, if you (he) did that, you could be (successfully) prosecuted", you responding by "that is just not true". Because the guy walked away immediately after the attack, and was continuing to do so, it's not 100% clear that anyone attacking the guy wouldn't have been prosecuted, particularly if they had done serious damage. It would seem more like retribution rather than helping. Plus, Triggaaar only said "could", not that that it was 100%. The point at which intervention was possible the guy was well away, it wouldn't have been helping her to attack him, so I agree with Triggaaar's response.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But I was replying to Simster who was saying what he thinks he'd do in a similar situation. A similar situation would be for it to happen here, and if on holiday I don't suppose he'd have time to quickly look up the law in the country he's in to determine whether or not he's within his rights to punch the guy.

My guess here is that no-one would be expected to intervene but if someone thought to give the bloke a bit of a slap, the authorities would be happy to turn a blind eye.
I agree if it was just a slap, but if you punched him and he fell to the floor and injured his head, you could be in a spot of bother.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm surprised nobody has pointed out 'it wouldn't have happened if she had a gun' :facepalm:
She'd have got her gun out, he'd have taken it off her and killed her, and then he'd have killed the guy with the chair and a few others for good measure. We'd then be discussing whether lives could have been saved if the guy with a chair had a gun instead of a chair.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
She'd have got her gun out, he'd have taken it off her and killed her, and then he'd have killed the guy with the chair and a few others for good measure. We'd then be discussing whether lives could have been saved if the guy with a chair had a gun instead of a chair.

Not if the guy with the chair had a gun, and the waiter as well.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not if the guy with the chair had a gun, and the waiter as well.
But they didn't, which is why I said 'We'd then be discussing whether lives could have been saved if the guy with a chair had a gun instead of a chair.'

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
An old friend has posted on FB today that a guy punched his (the mans, not my mates) girlfriend in the face right in front of my mate in Cyprus this morning, so he is now in a police station giving statements after clobbering the bloke. Seeing that he has been in the security business for 20+ years, I dont reckon on the other guys chances much...

Good on him I say, & hopefully the Cypriot Police will sort the other guy out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here