Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Sun's out, lights out.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Crikey Volvo and Saab had Daytime running lights back in the 70’s, it’s nothing new. Jasper Carrot even did a sketch about them, that’s how old they are.
My Volvos havnt even got an off switch.... just on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
The dashboard on my Peugeot 308 (crap car I know but needs must at the moment) is really dark when some form of side/headlights aren't on so I tend to keep my sidelights on just so I can read the speedo easily!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Crikey Volvo and Saab had Daytime running lights back in the 70’s, it’s nothing new. Jasper Carrot even did a sketch about them, that’s how old they are.

"I'm the only person who still flashes Volvos!" You had to take out the #5 fuse iirc if you didn't want them on in the UK as there was no switch.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
My toyota has auto lights you can`t turn off....ridiculous. go in shade or through tunnel lights come on...Pain in the arse people think I`m flashing at them !!
Not sure what your Toyota is but my Toyota automatic lights are turned off on the light stalk on the steering wheel

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I think it's more dangerous for bikes and motorbikes, as they're harder to see during the day. Furthermore they make people even lazier so hardly anyone bothers with their lights in rain/for

:facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We were on the beach at Lydd and drove back via the Hythe/Carterbury road. Narrow, partly uphill, with blind bends, modern fast cars, overconfident drivers in SUVs....mad to not have your headlights on. Plenty did.

Scandinavia is in semi twilight 24/7 so perpetual headlights makes sense. I liked it when I was there.

What annoys me is boy racers with the effing fog lights on when there is no fog. Thank goodness the twinkly lights on the Puma and the underbody colour lights in pimped shagwagons have now apparently vanished (in my happy manor, at least). Illegal, or have all the shit-annoyng cars been bought by chavs? I never drive in Croydon so it will have to remain a mystery.

Last edited:

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Seen hundreds of cars with their lights on today, hungover or just stupid?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Is this you?

C4BEBDCD-721A-4635-A13C-53FCCD4702D6.jpeg

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Not sure what your Toyota is but my Toyota automatic lights are turned off on the light stalk on the steering wheel

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi lux...checked with dealer SLM Uckfield and then Toyota UK both of whom confirmed can`t be turned off.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I still flash my lights at Saab and Volvo drivers to tell them they have left their lights on. I bet they still think it’s hysterical.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Because it annoys and irritates. That's how it winds so many people up. Simple enough explanation for you?

No. Why does it annoy you and irritate you? What is annoying and irritating about it? It's not like an obnoxious work colleague or dripping tap. That I can understand. Explain to me why you're irritated.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Seen hundreds of cars with their lights on today, hungover or just stupid?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

We have a 2010 VW Polo, lights on I'm afraid, couldn't be assed to get them set to normal.
You need all the advanced options around here, given sometimes you get cars driven at you which look like they have no drivers in the seat.
More like a cross between Mr Magoo and a hobbit.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No. Why does it annoy you and irritate you? What is annoying and irritating about it? It's not like an obnoxious work colleague or dripping tap. That I can understand. Explain to me why you're irritated.

No. it's not like an obnoxious work colleague or dripping tap; they're a different source of annoyance. Although personally I'm not too bothered about dripping taps - what is it about them that can make you feel so annoyed that you need to post it on NSC?

Anyway, dripping taps can be fixed - excessive and unnecessary and irritating lights, it seems, can't be fixed. It's a car; if it's not dark I can see it................................

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Motorbikes were made to have their lights on during the day so they could be seen more easily. Now they can't.

It also burns more fuel and increases CO2 and NOx emissions.

other cars having lights on does not make motorbikes any less visible.

agree about the extra emissions, it was a glorious EU fudge once this was pointed out, they ploughed on with the directive appling a low wattage requirement.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

A lot of people get dazzled by approaching headlights in bright sunlight. They are necessary at night, at dusk, at daybreak, in rain, fog and snow. They are not necessary in glorious sunshine, when we all have sunglasses on or sun visors down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here