Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Tusk then says 'It's not our objective' when talking about making a success of Brexit and the PM of Luxembourg sat next to him says he didn't learn anything new from our strong and stable leaders speech on Friday and that Brexit is about 'damage limitation'.

I thought they needed us more than them and we held all the aces. Bizarre.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So Donald Tusk rules out May's pick-and-mix approach from her speech on Friday as being viable, surprise, surprise.

Interesting that also he mentions flight disruption post Brexit and that talks need to start on that immediately - I thought that one wasn't a problem according to The Brexiteers on here. I had such faith in David Davis and Chris Grayling too................

What's interesting about Donald Tusk saying '' that he is determined to avoid the disruption of flights between the UK and the EU. To do that, they must start talks as soon as possible.''

To me it's just confirmation that they will be no flight disruption, quite simple really.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
[tweet]970673220083965953[/tweet]

Fake news.....we will get a free trade deal which will allow us to fly for free, with no tariffs, free coffee and a special line we can all stand in along with the Mexicans, Guatemalans and Cambodians.

Also we won't have any duty on our cars....did anyone think we made any cars we import into the US? and they won't slap tariffs on our airline industry and steel.

This is all going really well...we have our own country back that we can demand our own tariffs ...they need us more than we need them.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What's interesting about Donald Tusk saying '' that he is determined to avoid the disruption of flights between the UK and the EU. To do that, they must start talks as soon as possible.''

To me it's just confirmation that they will be no flight disruption, quite simple really.

I'd sort of hoped that might have already been covered and discussions perhaps even started, it's been nearly a year now since Article 50 was invoked and is quite important, but if you're happy with the way things are going and see it as confirmation everything's A-OK, good for you.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
What do you personally stand to lose by us leaving? I also think may has come to a good compromise, it's up to the EU now.

This wasn't directed at me but I won't really lose out financially either, not enough to affect my way of life. But younger members of my family and probably yours will and as a father that matters to me. Having said all that, Brexit has never been all about money for me and (I suspect) most Remainers, as much as Leavers like to say otherwise.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'd sort of hoped that might have already been covered and discussions perhaps even started, it's been nearly a year now since Article 50 was invoked and is quite important, but if you're happy with the way things are going and see it as confirmation everything's A-OK, good for you.

Can you paraphrase what big gully says as every time he posts something this appears on my screen

IMG_0186.JPG

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

To me, it’s an assertion of who holds all the aces.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a little birdie tells me some people in european nations are getting nervous that EU command is playing politics with their economies. there maybe some comment on this in the news later today.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
a little birdie tells me some people in european nations are getting nervous that EU command is playing politics with their economies. there maybe some comment on this in the news later today.

Well listening to the birds has obviously served you well so far :facepalm:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

It confirms both sides want to avoid it, not that we will avoid it.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]971368881184002053[/TWEET]

Going to be a lot of Leave voting areas doing especially bad out of this. Still, they "won" I guess.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So May comes up the usual shopping list of unrealistic demands, EU says go whistle, Brexitremists will now blame the EU and demonise them as the enemy.

Its a predictable pattern to try and get populist opinion behind Brexit

D

Deleted member 22389

So May comes up the usual shopping list of unrealistic demands, EU says go whistle, Brexitremists will now blame the EU and demonise them as the enemy.

Its a predictable pattern to try and get populist opinion behind Brexit

The EU should be blamed. Cameron went to the EU looking for a deal before the referendum, they gave him nothing. That was the cue for me and many others to tick the box to Leave. We could see the EU wasn't going to change back then, so it's nothing new.

And we could go on all day about reforming from the inside by being a member, but that doesn't work either. The EU will never listen and the way the EU treats one of it's biggest contributors is an absolute disgrace.

I'm sure at the end some deal will be done, but it won't really be what I voted for. I could moan about this for years, but there is absolutely no point.
What's important to me is we get some Unity back in this country again so everyone is happy, agreed.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The EU should be blamed. Cameron went to the EU looking for a deal before the referendum, they gave him nothing. That was the cue for me and many others to tick the box to Leave. We could see the EU wasn't going to change back then, so it's nothing new.

The EU gave him loads, actually. You shouldn't believe everything you read in the tabloids.

Under the concessions they gave Cameron we had opt-outs from virtually everything we wanted, plus no financial commitment to anything related to the Eurozone. It was as much as they could actually give and would have set us totally apart from literally every other member. This could have been implemented on top of the other restrictions to things like Free Movement which other countries have done by the UK never has.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

And we could go on all day about reforming from the inside by being a member, but that doesn't work either. The EU will never listen and the way the EU treats one of it's biggest contributors is an absolute disgrace.

I'm sure at the end some deal will be done, but it won't really be what I voted for. I could moan about this for years, but there is absolutely no point.
What's important to me is we get some Unity back in this country again so everyone is happy, agreed.

You talk as if it is easy to get a Union that works for 28 countries and yet can be just as flexible if one big player wants to leave whilst still have cake and eating it.

The fact is the EU model of the 4 Freedoms, Single Market and Customs Union works incredible well for half a billion people partly because the mechanisms that enable it to work are highly complex but very robust.

This is why trade deals usually take 5-10 years to conclude and that -unlike now - is when there is goodwill on both sides.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The EU gave him loads, actually. You shouldn't believe everything you read in the tabloids.

the pro-european, non-tabloid news gave the same feedback on what he acheive. a handful of half promises, rejected by some ministers before the summit was over and required treaty change to deliver. they thought the referendum was a bluff.
others more enlightened were proposing a two tier future, that was dismissed, EU can only go forward as one. here we are.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
the pro-european, non-tabloid news gave the same feedback on what he acheive. a handful of half promises, rejected by some ministers before the summit was over and required treaty change to deliver. they thought the referendum was a bluff.
others more enlightened were proposing a two tier future, that was dismissed, EU can only go forward as one. here we are.

Let me guess, were the ministers in question Iain Duncan Smith, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, Priti Patel..?

Jeez, if only there was some hint as to what might have been their motive for such an action...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

What sort of deal do you think the EU should give us and would be fair? What do you think is reasonable without us paying in, and out of the SM & CU?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here