Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
you seem to either not understand the words "recession" and "undeniably" or else just fishing without any information about the economy. there is no recession, it didnt happen, and the worse that the financial experts say is occuring now is slightly less growth than predicted.

Ok.

larus

You and others pick out "immediate" recession as a way to write off remainers concerns. Financial experts admit they thought it would happen quicker but they also all agree it is happening. Undeniably.

I guess the chart in my post 2 above your post is a bit complicated for you. Everyone is forecasting growth increasing going forward. So, in case that's a bit too complicated, they aren't forecasting shrinking growth and definitely not a recession.

Again, you post emotional clap-trap and no facts to back it up.

You are the missing link - goodbye :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Utter rubbish, you have cherry-picked a couple of indicators, falling inflation and even a lessening of wage versus inflation disparity is hardly your original emotive prediction of runaway inflation, housing crash, rising unemployment, market crashes, immediate recession and off to hell in a hand cart.

Quite frankly saying 'higher prices' and some vague passport reference seems to show you are running out of steam on the economic front.

I do not recall predicting any of this. Think you have the wrong person.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Even the worst of Osborne's rent boys is admitting,grudgingly,he got it wrong.

cvnt.jpg

And yet more good news,HT seems to have found his mobile again :lolol:

lost and found.jpg

Somebody loves him :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I guess the chart in my post 2 above your post is a bit complicated for you. Everyone is forecasting growth increasing going forward. So, in case that's a bit too complicated, they aren't forecasting shrinking growth and definitely not a recession.

Again, you post emotional clap-trap and no facts to back it up.

You are the missing link - goodbye :lol:

It's a very simple chart. However NBER doesn't need to see a fall in GDP to call a recession so your chart doesn't really mean anything. Thanks for posting it though, very colourful.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You got Alphabetti Spaghetti for lunch again?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's a very simple chart. However NBER doesn't need to see a fall in GDP to call a recession so your chart doesn't really mean anything. Thanks for posting it though, very colourful.

recession is defined as two consecutive quarters of negative growth. when do you claim this happened, or will you concede the simple fact there has not been a recession?

ah you're quoting Investopedia, unfortunately they dont expand on what criteria the US based NBER would use to "call" a recession in the US, so i reckon you're all out of information. let us know when you find anyone claiming otherwise.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
recession is defined as two consecutive quarters of negative growth. when do you claim this happened, or will you concede the simple fact there has not been a recession?

That's not strictly true but it is accepted logic. Anyway, I never predicted a recession and for that reason, I'm out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's not strictly true but it is accepted logic. Anyway, I never predicted a recession and for that reason, I'm out.

This falsely attributing predictions seems to be a growing trend. I had [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] suggesting all manner of things earlier. Now it’s your turn with a different poster. Odd.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This falsely attributing predictions seems to be a growing trend. I had [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] suggesting all manner of things earlier. Now it’s your turn with a different poster. Odd.

It's a sure sign of frustration that their beloved Brexit is looking less and less likely. I almost feel sorry for them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its bit beneath us to get into such point scoring, but i didnt claim he predicted a recession, he stated there is one currently.

You and others pick out "immediate" recession as a way to write off remainers concerns. Financial experts admit they thought it would happen quicker but they also all agree it is happening. Undeniably.

anyway, Clamp appears to have conceded he's wrong and we break for lunch.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
its bit beneath us to get into such point scoring, but i didnt claim he predicted a recession, he stated there is one currently.

anyway, Clamp appears to have conceded he's wrong and we break for lunch.

No I didn't. I said some people have said its happening. You've actually quoted that above! Very different from me saying there is a recession. Get a clue you nitwit.

Enjoy your lunch . I imagine you as very much a McDonalds man.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

ah you're quoting Investopedia, unfortunately they dont expand on what criteria the US based NBER would use to "call" a recession in the US, so i reckon you're all out of information. let us know when you find anyone claiming otherwise.

The export economy is doing better due to the global value of the pound combined with the suppression of wage growth so from that level we are not in recession.

However it does not feel like that for the majority of the citizens of the county where the lack of wage growth combined by the low value of the pound means imports are far more expensive

Is Brexit a direct consequence I think partially but the May government does appear to be nothing to help domestically

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Semantics. The implications of the negotiations will be far better known when the negotiations are further down the line. Surely you are not disputing that? (Arguably, nothing in life is 'fully known' until after it has happened: isn't the art of planning any future direction to make a decision based on gathering as much information as can be available? Interesting to see weekend research suggesting that potential Labour voters are now more in favour of having a second referendum than not.)

How much further down the line? It's likely the negotiations will come down to the wire with the most difficult issues left to last(as per usual) and the trade talks could carry on into the transition period. In all probability any considered, informed judgement about the implications would only be possible after we had officially left. Which rather undermines your underlying reason for wanting a second go.

They will be disappointed that Labour opposes a second referendum then.

larus

I think it’s quite clear that The Clamp (aka Nibble) was saying that the ‘experts’ were still predicting a recession. Whereas, it is quite clear that that has not been a recession nor is one being forecast. However, I can understand not wanting to trust their predictions as, after all, their track record is mixed (being very polite).

And now he has been proven to be wrong, he’s slinking off like a whipped dog.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think it’s quite clear that The Clamp (aka Nibble) was saying that the ‘experts’ were still predicting a recession. Whereas, it is quite clear that that has not been a recession nor is one being forecast. However, I can understand not wanting to trust their predictions as, after all, their track record is mixed (being very polite).

And now he has been proven to be wrong, he’s slinking off like a whipped dog.

I'm glad I made myself clear. Experts are predicting a recession.That was my simple, succinct point.
It's a shame you are not mature enough to partake in an adult debate. The tired Nibble accusation and the whipped dog comment mark you out as someone simply not capable of debate with the likes of me. You're out of your league. Please do continue and prove me correct.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It's a sure sign of frustration that their beloved Brexit is looking less and less likely. I almost feel sorry for them.

Getting closer by the minute,and we are all enjoying the few remaining moaners squirming.Perhaps there should be a permanent link on this thread to the Samaritans for the desperate EU addicts.:lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Getting closer by the minute,and we are all enjoying the few remaining moaners squirming.Perhaps there should be a permanent link on this thread to the Samaritans for the desperate EU addicts.:lolol:

Closer and closer indeed. Still no deals struck, no details on the single market or freedom of movement, no divorce figure, no idea if or where the shortfall of EU funding will be made up etc. Yep, looking more and more likely to be called off with each passing day.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The export economy is doing better due to the global value of the pound combined with the suppression of wage growth so from that level we are not in recession.

However it does not feel like that for the majority of the citizens of the county where the lack of wage growth combined by the low value of the pound means imports are far more expensive

Is Brexit a direct consequence I think partially but the May government does appear to be nothing to help domestically

Presume the county you are referring to is Sussex.Simple answer is stop buying expensive cars from the EU.Far too many polluting BMW's,VW's,and Mercs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here