General Election 2017

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
last night Newsnight was in Barrow. two women outright said they'd be looking at May, and another chap said he couldnt vote Corbyn (seemed uneasy at prospect he might concider conservative). all Labour voters. and apparently local Labour MP said he wouldnt endorse Corbyn as PM.

but its just the right wing media conspiracy that tells us he's unelectable.

Of course Labour are electable. If Labour and the left stopped all the infighting, hiding behind the ridiculous rhetoric that 'JC is unelectable' and actually opppsed the Tories, then they would be, by definition, electable. However, too many Labour MPs and voters would be happy to see the Tories in power if it meant JC going. Oh well, it's the only the public that suffer, eh?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The reason that I see a Green vote as a wasted vote is that I believe that Caroline Lucas is an idealist with no idea of life in general and no hope of ever having any say in government, orin opposition ,thank goodness, so to all intents and purposes is a waste of time.being an MP.

Greens have more seats than UKIP, who are polling at 10%.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Which should ring alarm bells for anyone even thinking of voting Lib Dem - memories are very short if people don't remember what the Lewes Lib Dems did to us.

I am aware, it's not Norman Baker any more and what the Lewes Lib Dems did to us pales in insignificance against what the Tories will do if May gets her mandate and we exit the EU. without a deal.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Of course Labour are electable. If Labour and the left stopped all the infighting, hiding behind the ridiculous rhetoric that 'JC is unelectable' and actually opppsed the Tories, then they would be, by definition, electable. However, too many Labour MPs and voters would be happy to see the Tories in power if it meant JC going. Oh well, it's the only the public that suffer, eh?

thats a big IF. its not rhetoric though, an MP's opening gambit for reselection is "i dont support Corbyn" because he know the locals dont support Corbyn. maybe a special case with Trident, but still an eye opener on how big a liability Corbyn really is.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Both the Lib Dems and Greens are promising that. One snag - they've no chance of wining a General Election. But could take enough votes away from Labour to give the Tories the mandate for the hardest of hard Brexits. If you want to preserve some meaningful relationship with Europe, a Labour government is the only realistic thing that can deliver that

A Lab-Lib coalition COULD deliver it provided Labour had an electable leader. Labour couldn't take power without the pro Remain swing back to the Lib Dems in the south and west.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
thats a big IF. its not rhetoric though, an MP's opening gambit for reselection is "i dont support Corbyn" because he know the locals dont support Corbyn. maybe a special case with Trident, but still an eye opener on how big a liability Corbyn really is.

That's why the Labour Party are in disarray. Some of their MPs aren't even bothering to defend him which makes him and the party look weak. In their defence, it must be a catch 22, you either go with your constituents (against JC), or you try and convince them that JC is the right man for the job and risk getting ousted.

For what it's worth, I've never been 'Labour', having never voted for them before, but I will this time. More to stop the Tories than anything else. Sadly, I can only see a Tory victory. And that'll be more down to infighting on the left than it will be because May is the best choice for PM.

That's why the Labour Party are in disarray. Some of their MPs aren't even bothering to defend him which makes him and the party look weak. In their defence, it must be a catch 22, you either go with your constituents (against JC), or you try and convince them that JC is the right man for the job and risk getting ousted.

For what it's worth, I've never been 'Labour', having never voted for them before, but I will this time. More to stop the Tories than anything else. Sadly, I can only see a Tory victory. And that'll be more down to infighting on the left than it will be because May is the best choice for PM.

Correct - but there's a lot more people around like you than is commonly thought. Corbyn is not a business as usual machine politician and stands for something - that will reasonate with plenty of people

The problem is that there is one party of the Right (forget about UKIP, they're done) and a variety from the centre Left in a first past the post electoral system. We're the only country in Europe where a governing party can get a majority with less than 40% of the popular vote, and it's very silly, which is why tactics are necessary. I am hard Left but have happily voted Lib Dem tactically in the past and would actually vote for a turd in a Crystal Palace shirt if it would get the Tories out :) EDIT: forget the Palace shirt, I couldn't go that far
#progressive alliance
(just broken my self imposed rule and started arguing about politics on NSC....oh dear....)

The Lib Dems of Charles Kennedy era yes of course. The current lot under Clegg and Farron have swallowed all of Thatcher's economic ideas and will prop up the Tories again given half a chance - this morning they've ruled out a coalition with Labour

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Has anyone seen it explained anywhere how this election can be held with the threat of prosecutions hanging over a number of MPs for their fradulent election spending last time?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Has anyone seen it explained anywhere how this election can be held with the threat of prosecutions hanging over a number of MPs for their fradulent election spending last time?

Presumably if they are charged before the vote they wont run. If they are charged and found guilty afterwards there would need to be by-elections.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

'Innocent till proved guilty' seems to cover it quite nicely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here