Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ricky Gervais 'Dead Babies' Joke

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think he can be incredibly funny, esp when compared with the current crop of Russell Howard's and John Bishop's.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
According to those who were there (via twitter) rather than a joke 'about dead babies', it was a joke at his own expense, about what a shit parent he would be.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Watching Gervais die on his arse at Live8 was strangely enjoyable.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can't believe that every person doesn't find every comedian hilarious, and then spends their time posting on threads about those they find unfunny :rolleyes:

Oh and 40 years ago it was "what's the difference between a truck load of dead babies and a truck load of pin-pong balls ?" :angel:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I was having a chat with a mate about this earlier.

It's obviously terrible what that couple has gone through. I've got no kids myself so I can only imagine the pain they've endured. But, Gervais didn't write the joke with the intention of offending them. It's just a horrible bit of happenstance. An unfortunate coincidence. It's not like he knew they were coming to his show and that they'd suffered loss and went "Right, this'll be a bloody laugh"

They're well within their rights to be offended and Ricky Gervais is well within his rights to make whatever jokes he wants to.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Monday : Stayed in
Tuesday : Stayed in
Wednesday : Stayed in

Was that RG or someone else?

Not sure. I think he said something like "ends abruptly and no sequel". Was quite funny at the time I first saw him but not so much looking back.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Not sure. I think he said something like "ends abruptly and no sequel". Was quite funny at the time I first saw him but not so much looking back.

Near the knuckle jokes are always that extra bit funnier - Why I don't know. Gervais has a knack of making them in an Ironic manner. If, for instance, Jim Davidson had said the same thing it would be front page news. It's not a criticism just an observation that some comedians can get away with it and others can't. Given the range of subjects RG has been offensive about, its no wonder someone, somewhere has got offended especially in this day and age. If everyone stops saying something that will offend people, Dave will have Mrs Brown's boys on a loop 24 hours.

Personally, I've always Ioved 'Anne Franks drum kit' as a means to describe something useless. (C) Viz Profnisauras

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I don't believe in offense. "I'm offended". So? Nothing bad will happen to you.

Reminds me of the following quote by Stephen Fry:

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Near the knuckle jokes are always that extra bit funnier - Why I don't know. Gervais has a knack of making them in an Ironic manner. If, for instance, Jim Davidson had said the same thing it would be front page news. It's not a criticism just an observation that some comedians can get away with it and others can't. Given the range of subjects RG has been offensive about, its no wonder someone, somewhere has got offended especially in this day and age. If everyone stops saying something that will offend people, Dave will have Mrs Brown's boys on a loop 24 hours.

Personally, I've always Ioved 'Anne Franks drum kit' as a means to describe something useless. (C) Viz Profnisauras

I don't think it helps that JD is an alcoholic ******** who made a living making racist and sexist " jokes".
Yep, Anne Frank's drum kit" always raises a chuckle as does "Terry Wait's allotment" in reference to an out of control bush.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Jimmy Carr's most offense,

They say there's safety in numbers. Tell that to six million Jews.

Shocking, but most of the audience laughed. Doesn't mean most of the audience found the holocaust funny. They just laugh at the joke. I have lost the closest people in the world to me to cancer. Doesn't mean I don't laugh at Derek and Clives cancer sketch. People just need to get over themselves. Find Ricky Gervais offense. FIne, dont go to his next gig. But don't tell the world why you don't like him and whine about it.

Some people will find offence wherever they can. They've had their five minutes of publicity, no doubt will make an appearance on good morning Britain, and move on. No one will remember and no one will really care.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Exactly. I think I based my view on that exact quote.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

Spot on!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here