Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Central America

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I have always found NSC a fountain of all knowledge especially on anything to do with travel. So, have any of you been around central America? I am thinking about going this summer starting from southern Mexico and ending in Costa Rica.

Any advice? Favourite spots or best ways to get from city to city?

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I've often thought about an extended trip to Central America, would love to go to El Salvador and particularly Guatemala but it's just too dangerous at the moment. The fact that I carry a lot of camera gear probably has something to do with it, might feel differently if I was going in shorts and t shirt and no valuables.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I have always found NSC a fountain of all knowledge especially on anything to do with travel. So, have any of you been around central America? I am thinking about going this summer starting from southern Mexico and ending in Costa Rica.

Costa Rica Pacific Coast i found to be absolutely stunning

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Costa Rica Pacific Coast i found to be absolutely stunning

Agreed, the pacific coast is where to head. the Caribbean side is a lot rougher and less developed. El Salvador is also OK. san Salvador has safe areas now and the coast line there is just the best I have ever seen and completely untouched. But you need a good guide/security there, unfortunately that is similar for many destinations in C America, including parts of Mexico.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I did a similar trip years ago, starting in Mexico and going on to Panama (through Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica). It's easy to travel city to city and country to country by bus. How long are you planning on going for?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Agreed, the pacific coast is where to head. the Caribbean side is a lot rougher and less developed. El Salvador is also OK. san Salvador has safe areas now and the coast line there is just the best I have ever seen and completely untouched. But you need a good guide/security there, unfortunately that is similar for many destinations in C America, including parts of Mexico.

I loved the Caribbean coast. Deserted white sand beaches, wildlife, rum, reggae. What more do you need?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
My nephew has just come back after 3 months in Central America. We had a good chat. I remember him saying he gave Costa Rica a miss as it was expensive compared with the other countries. He was glad he started in the North as he found the scenery in the South better.
No problems or any trouble.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I have been, but around 10 years ago so things may be different. It was part of a longer trip from Montreal to Ecuador.
I liked Mexico City, arty and historic, but Oaxaca and the Chiapas were probably my favourite parts of Mexico. Antigua in Guatemala is a good place to get drunk/hang out for a while, albeit with other tourists, and Copan Ruinas in Honduras isn't too far away. If you like watersports I went to Ambergris Caye in Belize, and Utila in Honduras plus you can surf in Nicaragua, near Managua. Climbing volcanoes on Ometepe Island was a highlight and Granada/Leon retain a certain colonial charm about them.
Costa Rica was very Americanized, and tourist focused, but I particularly enjoyed Puerto Viejo. Just over the border in Panama is Bocas del Toro, which was one of my favourite stops and I know I'm getting a bit further south then you specified, but you used to be able to fly from Panama City to Cartegena in Colombia for 50 about quid, and Cartegena is one of my favourite places in the entire WORLD, not just Latin America. Beaches, history, art, people, food, pirates - I loved it, should you have the inclination to keep on going.
I mainly caught buses, which varied in comfort - Mexico good, Honduras less so, but do exercise caution as I had a Credit card stolen in Guatemala. More of a hassle then anything else and robbery does seem to happen a lot, but it's usually by stealth rather than anything confrontational.
If you can speak Spanish then that would be a distinct advantage, and I hope you have a great trip

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My nephew has just come back after 3 months in Central America. We had a good chat. I remember him saying he gave Costa Rica a miss as it was expensive compared with the other countries. He was glad he started in the North as he found the scenery in the South better.
No problems or any trouble.

Costa Rica, lovely though it is, is finally beginning to hit the tourists map, with direct charter flights from the UK from last year. It's bound to get more expensive, and busier, very quickly. The Americans already love it of course.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Travelled through there with my girlfriend a few months ago.

Go to these places:

-the cenotes in mexico, they go all down the eastern carribean side, amazing if you like diving
-caye caulker, belize - belize city is a shit hole but you only need to go there to get the boat to caye caulker
-Tikal ruins, guatemala - you'll recognise them as the rebel base in the original Star Wars
-antigua, guatemala - probably my favourite city in central america, beautiful architecture, completely safe and amazing food
-Leon, nicaragua - similar to above, very pretty but a bit rough around the edges
-Granada, nicaragua - as above, but slightly more rough still
-laguna de apoyo, nicaragua - dormant volcano crater lake, water is crystal clear and always around 30 degrees, I could've stayed there for weeks just relaxing
-Costa Rica - if you can, avoid, unbelievably expensive considering how poor parts of the country are.
-Panama - bocas del toro, ****ING fantastic diving, surfing, beaches, bars, restaurants. great little place

I've missed loads off but PM me if you want any more advice.

Don't be put off by people saying these countries are unsafe, the capitals ARE unsafe, but you don't have to go to them, they're nothing special anyway. The people in these countries are all lovely but the capital cities are riddled with gangs.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Costa Rica, lovely though it is, is finally beginning to hit the tourists map, with direct charter flights from the UK from last year. It's bound to get more expensive, and busier, very quickly. The Americans already love it of course.

It's been on the tourist map for the US for a long time, hence why it's so expensive already.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I've often thought about an extended trip to Central America, would love to go to El Salvador and particularly Guatemala but it's just too dangerous at the moment. The fact that I carry a lot of camera gear probably has something to do with it, might feel differently if I was going in shorts and t shirt and no valuables.

I would say for sure go to guatemala, just get out of Guatemala City and go straight to Antigua and use that as a base for any other trips you want to take around the country. Flores in the north is a good base for doing day trips to Mayan ruins and stuff too. I would 100% do the Acatenango volcano hike as you might get to see Fuego erupt. We got to see it at night and it was ****ing incredible, sounds like a plane taking off.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Feel free to come down this way Wilko!

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Just spent 6 months doing the same route...my thoughts...

Mexico City - amazing place, not to be missed, stay in Roma Norte or la condessa, go to the anthropological museum...best museum I've ever been to. I can't remember the name but there's a place in the south of the city where all the Mexicans go to get pissed whilst punting around canals. Top stuff!

Around Mexico City taxco is a beautiful colonial style silver town a couple of hours south. Mineral del monte (a couple of hours north) is a crazy mining town that has loads of Cornish history and great pasties! It's all red tin roof cottages!

Further south Oaxaca is great and monte alban were my favourite ruins in Mexico.

Down in the Yacutan, if you like diving go to Cozumel, it's very Americanised but the diving is incredible.

Belize is good fun, loads of rastas and a bit edgy.

Guatemala is just amazing but avoid the capital city, Tikal is the best ruin we went to in the whole of Central America, lake Atitlan is amazingly beautiful, never to hot, never too cold and you get round by water taxi. Antigua is also pretty nice and very cosmopolitan.

Nicaragua is different again, if you fancy surfing then the beaches around San Juan del sur are great for learners or experienced surfers.

Costa Rica i could write a whole post on, surfing and exploring on the Nicoya peninsula (get a 4x4!), cloud forests in monte verde, Caribbean coast around Puerto viejo, more wildlife than you can possibly imagine, howlers, sloths, toucans, all right on the porch!

Bocas del toro in panama had the best snorkelling we saw anywhere.

That's about a 10th of it, happy to answer specific questions

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I did a similar trip years ago, starting in Mexico and going on to Panama (through Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica). It's easy to travel city to city and country to country by bus. How long are you planning on going for?

I have around 5-6 weeks so I am not going to get to all the countries but have a few I definitely want to do including Belize, Guatemala and CR.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I knew NSC would be a winner! Thanks for all the replies so far :)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Just spent 6 months doing the same route...my thoughts...

Mexico City - amazing place, not to be missed, stay in Roma Norte or la condessa, go to the anthropological museum...best museum I've ever been to. I can't remember the name but there's a place in the south of the city where all the Mexicans go to get pissed whilst punting around canals. Top stuff!

Around Mexico City taxco is a beautiful colonial style silver town a couple of hours south. Mineral del monte (a couple of hours north) is a crazy mining town that has loads of Cornish history and great pasties! It's all red tin roof cottages!

Further south Oaxaca is great and monte alban were my favourite ruins in Mexico.

Down in the Yacutan, if you like diving go to Cozumel, it's very Americanised but the diving is incredible.

Belize is good fun, loads of rastas and a bit edgy.

Guatemala is just amazing but avoid the capital city, Tikal is the best ruin we went to in the whole of Central America, lake Atitlan is amazingly beautiful, never to hot, never too cold and you get round by water taxi. Antigua is also pretty nice and very cosmopolitan.

Nicaragua is different again, if you fancy surfing then the beaches around San Juan del sur are great for learners or experienced surfers.

Costa Rica i could write a whole post on, surfing and exploring on the Nicoya peninsula (get a 4x4!), cloud forests in monte verde, Caribbean coast around Puerto viejo, more wildlife than you can possibly imagine, howlers, sloths, toucans, all right on the porch!

Bocas del toro in panama had the best snorkelling we saw anywhere.

That's about a 10th of it, happy to answer specific questions

How did you travel from place to place, were you on a tour or did you use the Tica, King or chicken buses at all?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I live in Costa Rica and spend a lot of time in Nicaragua. There are so many things to see and possibilities for transport but a lot depends on your interests and budget. Tell us what you're looking for and I can give you some more pointers.

As others have said already in Nicaragua Grenada, Laguna de Apoyo, Masaya Volcano and Ometepe are three must visit locations!
In Costa Rica my personal highlights would be Cahuita National park on the Caribbean side and Peninsula de Osa on the south Pacific side. I live on the north Pacific side in Tamarindo and there are many beautiful beaches around this part of the country - some empty and wild, others less so. Great surfing around this part of the country if that's what you're in to.
In Panama I can definitely agree with the others that visiting Bocas del Torro is a great experience!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Off the top of my head I've done Colon, Panama, rough asyou like. Punta Arenas, Costa Rica. Ok, need to travel a bit to see anything of note. Santo Thomas, Guatamala, interesting, some big falls nearby. Roatan, Honduras. Great beaches, main town very dangerous, especially at night, but daylight robberies & shootings have happened regularly. (We had a young crew member shot dead for his phone). Belize, great beaches, friendly people. Puerto Limon, Nicaragua. Had a great time as some colleagues live there, so great hospitality.
I only visit on a ship though, so only get a brief snapshot.

Edit: Forgot Mexico! Cozumel, great. Cancun, well, it's Cancun. Nearby worth a visit are Xel-Ha for unbelievable clear water snorkeling, Xcaret, Tulum. Costa Maya, not much there really. Acapulco, anti climax from what I was expecting, but worth a visit. Vera Cruz, had a ball there, great night out. Progreso, wild dogs hunting in packs, (at least that's what it felt like, went running & had to defend myself with rocks, avoid. Cabo San Lucas, great resort, Manzanillo, nice old town when you find it. Puerto Vallarta, nice beach right in town. That's all I can think of for now.

I wouldn't travel alone & I'd be extra vigilant at all times. If you like a whiff of danger then you'll get it in Central America!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here