Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keep Off!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Would be the laughing stock - "oh that team that won promotion to the Premier league for the first time ever, just sat in their seats and happy-clapped away!! "

Stadia have changed, times have changed, players like to be able to celebrate without the more excitable elements trying to rip off souvenirs that they'd actually prefer to keep themselves.. shirts, boots, Bruno's beard, that sort of stuff.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hang on... I've been hearing on the radio, on here, etc. that if we get 6 points we'll be promoted but it's still not mathematical is it? As Hudds can get 92? (unless they drop points). Or am I missing something.

Huddersfield can get to 92 points but with goal difference, they would need to win every game by 5 clear goals. That's without any goals that we may score in achieving our 6 points.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We had this whole discussion before the pitch invasions at Withdean and exactly the same will happen again.

1. Club issues statement saying please keep off the pitch.
2. At the game, the PA announcer asks that people keep off the pitch or there will be no player's lap of honour.
3. Pitch invasion happens for about 5-10 minutes. All good spirited.
4. Everyone clears off the pitch and the players come out for their lap of honour.
5. Everyone goes home happy.

Don't see the need for such a big debate?

Erm. But not everyone did go home happy. As I recall, what happened at Withdean was we waited so long for the players to come back out that half the crowd had cleared off. It was only because a couple of them made a break for it from the dressing room that there was any parade at all. So the pitch invasion absolutely did take the edge off the occasion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Erm. But not everyone did go home happy. As I recall, what happened at Withdean was we waited so long for the players to come back out that half the crowd had cleared off. It was only because a couple of them made a break for it from the dressing room that there was any parade at all. So the pitch invasion absolutely did take the edge off the occasion.

This is true. The players were told there would be no lap of honour, but as you rightly said, a couple of the players got out of the door, and started it off.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
What seems to me to be a genuine cause for concern is that if large numbers of fans on the upper levels decide they want to go on to the pitch, then it's not difficult to envisage it turning into a mad stampede down the stairs. Would only take one person to trip and a very serious situation could develop very quickly. It's not like Withdean where everybody was at a low level relative to the pitch to start with. Stay safe everybody.

Sure that won't be a problem, it's not like loads of our fans are cocks or anything

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
6 points is correct.

In this case pragmatism and realism beat mathematics.

Anyone who seriously thinks that Huddersfield could overtake our goal difference advantage needs to take a long, long holiday to get their sanity back.

Huddersfield can get to 92 points but with goal difference, they would need to win every game by 5 clear goals. That's without any goals that we may score in achieving our 6 points.

Oh I agree completely, but the players and Hughton won't be given "we are going up" banners, a la Middlesbrough, until it is certain.

JS89455971.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh I agree completely, but the players and Hughton won't be given "we are going up" banners, a la Middlesbrough, until it is certain.

JS89455971.jpg

Of course, and I'm not taking anything for granted, but if we win two games, then we will get promoted.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Check last season's parade and see how many have cleared off.

If by my going on the pitch I cause a load of people that couldn't be bothered to stay last year despite the players best efforts, to up and leave when we've had a bit of success this year, then I can live with that.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'm looking forward to seeing the guy in the wheelchair getting on the pitch again just like at Withdean.

In the interests of access, a ramp should be provided for this or the club may risk a fine.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Couldn't care less about the going up banners, 92 points and party is starting against Wigan, with the official one against bristol city.

We won't beat wolves but Huddersfield won't be derby either. So its over as long as we beat wigan.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
So the club doesn't want it, the ground staff don't want it, the police don't want it, and most importantly the players don't want it - but a few self-important fans whose excess sense of entitlement trumps everything are grizzling...? Talk about selling your soul in return for a season-long ban...

Textbook.

Last edited:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
So the club doesn't want it, the ground staff don't want it, the police don't want it, and most importantly the players don't want - but a few self-important fans whose excess sense of entitlement trumps everything are grizzling...? Talk about selling your soul in return for a season-long ban...

Textbook.

Talk about self important rants, excellent stuff

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Talk about self important rants, excellent stuff

Pitiful response.

My post was about silly people who think they're the only ones who matter, with no mention of myself. And yours is a meaningless one about me. Outstanding.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Pitiful response.

My post was about silly people who think they're the only ones who matter, with no mention of myself. And yours is a meaningless one about me. Outstanding.

'silly people' well that's not too judgemental is it?

For reference I have no interest in going on the pitch. I'm far too old to be bothered with that behaviour nowadays, but I have been on the pitch at the Goldstone and it was a very special memory. Harmless fun.

I'm pretty sure the ground staff, club, police ffs are against it but really does it matter if a bunch of teenagers run on the pitch?
Are you going to be in the West Upper booing them - because lets face it we all know it will happen?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
'silly people' well that's not too judgemental is it?

For reference I have no interest in going on the pitch. I'm far too old to be bothered with that behaviour nowadays, but I have been on the pitch at the Goldstone and it was a very special memory. Harmless fun.

Your memory of salad days is playing tricks on you. Pitch invasions occasionally led to fights and scuffles, (or at least lots of fat blokes with curtains shouting 'come on then', and dancing around like Bambi before running away) - see the Argus archives for such incidents. Of course, we're not talking about the same thing now, but to say it was 'harmless fun' either means your memory is shot to pieces or the fact you consider a good tear-up as 'harmless fun' speaks volumes about you.

I'm pretty sure the ground staff, club, police ffs are against it but really does it matter if a bunch of teenagers run on the pitch?

Nowadays, if the ground staff, club, players and police are against it, then it evidently does matter if a 'bunch of teenagers' (now who's being judgemental?) run on to the pitch. That's the whole point of the message being discussed. :facepalm:

They've made a specific request, one which you have a problem with because you feel your fun is being spoilt. Brilliant. And if it's enough that the players can't get to do what they would like to do (i.e. come out and applaud the fans), then why is it so important for your sense of entitlement to go above their request?

Are you going to be in the West Upper booing them - because lets face it we all know it will happen?

Diddums.

When's the pitch invasion is that talk of my 10-year-old's primary school class

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Your memory of salad days is playing tricks on you. Pitch invasions occasionally led to fights and scuffles, (or at least lots of fat blokes with curtains shouting 'come on then', and dancing around like Bambi before running away) - see the Argus archives for such incidents. Of course, we're not talking about the same thing now, but to say it was 'harmless fun' either means your memory is shot to pieces or the fact you consider a good tear-up as 'harmless fun' speaks volumes about you.

Really? All I remember is my arms around my dad on the pitch in moments of elation and poignancy. Memories that are still the most vivid today.

Nowadays, if the ground staff, club, players and police are against it, then it evidently does matter if a 'bunch of teenagers' (now who's being judgemental?) run on to the pitch. That's the whole point of the message being discussed. :facepalm:

Sorry, when have they not been against it?

They've made a specific request, one which you have a problem with because you feel your fun is being spoilt. Brilliant. And if it's enough that the players can't get to do what they would like to do (i.e. come out and applaud the fans), then why is it so important for your sense of entitlement to go above their request?

A never seen before request. Pretty sure the players will get to applaud the fans and vice versa.

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here