Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your First Experience of the Albion

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
West Ham in the Chicken run when they invaded the north stand 82?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
The first memories are being a young kid, not sure how young but like a 6, 7 or 8 maybe, and standing in the North with my friend and his Dad, I just remember standing there, weird, think it might of been against Leyton Orion?

I also remember at different game with a mate, slightly older this time, offering Nicky Rust a chewing gum whilst they were warming up pre game hahaand him saying something back (he never took the chewing gum).

Another early memory was also walking along in the middle of Old Shoreham Road with my older brother after the game and thinking how cool it was as the road was all closed off because of the game haha

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
90/91 I went on my own as we had only just moved to Brighton a few months before I think it was vs wolves and it finished 1-1 I don't know who scored I just know I loved every second and from that point on the Albion were my team

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
90/91 I went on my own as we had only just moved to Brighton a few months before I think it was vs wolves and it finished 1-1 I don't know who scored I just know I loved every second and from that point on the Albion were my team

It was the debut game for American goalie Tony Meola.

Highlights available here:

batch_91

Jul 14, 2012
Sheffield/Portslade
I must have been 5 or 6 during the last season at the Goldstone ground. I remember going with my dad and dads mate and standing on an upturned milk crate, in what I think was the terraces of the east stand...although Ive no idea why I needed a height boost as I dont recall it being particularly busy.

I remember being on the pitch after the final game and the old man digging up a chunk of the centre circle to be buried in the back garden. I dont remember any of the game but a while ago was watching a bunch of youtube video's including Storer's goal. I had a real strong de-ja-vu moment of my view of the goal, later confirmed by dad about where abouts I had been stood all those years ago.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Got the programme (thanks Ebay!) framed and next to my desk - 16 March 1968, Mansfield at the Goldstone with my father. I was 7. We were on the Chicken Run. I can remember the smell of tobacco, the swearing, and the colours. I also remember that Mansfield's badge seemed very big on their shirts.

Almost the same for me ....

Got the programme (thanks eBay)
Boxing day 1967 at the Goldstone vs Gillingham aged 7
My Dad and Uncle took me - Uncle lived in Hangleton and we walked to the ground - they took me a little stool to stand on in the Chicken run.
Remember coming out of the ground, and only being knee-high to a grasshopper, being taken along in the swarming crowd
Had never experienced anything like it in my (short) life.

And the seed was sown ....

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
My Dad first took me when I was 2. I don't remember the game, so we probably lost.
46 years later we still go together.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Grandpa took me to a game, I can't remember who or the score. I was about 6 or 7 so 1966/67. We were behind the South Stand goal and all I remember was how tall the floodlights were! Oh yes and during the warm up the ball flew over the net and hit me square on the head. The ball's were quite heavy then.

First away match was Palace on my own as a 15yo in the mid 70's. What on earth was I thinking?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Good lord, I'm absolutely certain that was mine too!!! Although didn't turn out to be a regular until about '86...

Me neither, I'm pretty sure my first game as a regular was March '86, Portsmouth at home. Dean Saunders, Steve Penney, Mick Ferguson, Alan Biley...!

(Sure you're not me?) ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A lot of opposition fans don't realise that historically we've had very large crowds for the Division we were playing in.

Their arguments centre around Withdean/Amex and how we've managed to grow from one to the other.

It's normally from CP (a wind-up), or Ipswich (jealous about our rise) intimating we're a plastic Reading or MKDons with a low historical fanbase. The underlying fanbase over the latter 65 odd years at the Goldstone was healthy, sometimes massive, despite two awful sets of Directors in the 80's and 90's.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Got taken by my dad in 1972 aged 11, think it was a 2-2 draw v Northampton Town. Did a match report I submitted to Radio Brighton (as it was then). Didn't win. Think Fred Binney and Ken Beamish got the goals? Got me interested but first started going regularly (North Stand) in about 75/6. Golden years [emoji41]

Goldstone - South stand with my grandparents. I was 7 when my first game came around as it was a birthday treat. That would put it around October 86, Dean Saunders era. I mainly remember the walk as we always used to park on one of the roads off Sackville Road. Lived not far from there before I moved...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Got taken by my dad in 1972 aged 11, think it was a 2-2 draw v Northampton Town. Did a match report I submitted to Radio Brighton (as it was then). Didn't win. Think Fred Binney and Ken Beamish got the goals? Got me interested but first started going regularly (North Stand) in about 75/6. Golden years [emoji41]

Fred Binney didn't sign until 1974.
I can't remember my first match but my dad took me to The Goldstone around 1972, he's not alive now to ask.
As a young lad Fred Binney was my first favourite Albion player a few years later.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
It was the opening game of the 1959-1960 season, at home to Aston Villa (I've got the programme to prove it) My Dad was a bus driver and was assigned to the football special. He came down the garden that morning (Aug 22) while I was playing with my pal from next door and said "come on, I'm taking you to the match". My pal started cheering, but Dad replied "not you". So it turned out that I was taken on the bus and sent in with the conductor (what's that ?, I hear you say) The old man wasn't a football fan - we had moved down from the smogs in 1954 and he had a passing interest in Charlton. He sat in his cab alongside Hove Park while we went into the Goldstone. I was given a crate to stand on in a 30k+ crowd. We were on the east terrace, but I don't remember seeing much at all. For the record: Albion 1 (Shepherd) Villa 2 (Sewell, McEwan) HT 1-1 Att. 31828. Like some previous posts, I remember the fag smoke, the smell of the linament and the awful bogs.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
4 November 1972 home to Cardiff. Drew 2-2 and then went and lost the next 12 in a row!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here