Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falklands '82

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yep, just not the planes to fly off them.:ffsparr:

They will be ready within 3 years and the Americans are helping us in the early stages with the US Marine Air Corp flying off the new Carriers,we also (currently) already have UK pilots (have for some time now) flying off American carriers as we speak.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What her government could have done was not display such an indifference toward to islands. There were talks of joint sovereignty and Argentinian inferences concerning invasion were well documented. Then the UK government withdrew the country's only patrol ship from the region. The islands were left exposed at a time when the Junta was looking for popular appeal. Perhaps they thought Argentina was most likely to turn its outward aggression toward Chile, I don't know, but there were signs- and they were ignored or discounted.

The ice patrol ships Protector, then Endurance always came back to the UK in May as the southern winters set in. They went down again in October. I had three Christmases in a row without my Dad.

Now the new Protector stays down there most of the time, and the crew changes every so often by flying in and out of Stanley.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The ice patrol ships Protector, then Endurance always came back to the UK in May as the southern winters set in. They went down again in October. I had three Christmases in a row without my Dad.

Now the new Protector stays down there most of the time, and the crew changes every so often by flying in and out of Stanley.

Wasn't this withdrawal part of strategy though ?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
What her government could have done was not display such an indifference toward to islands. There were talks of joint sovereignty and Argentinian inferences concerning invasion were well documented. Then the UK government withdrew the country's only patrol ship from the region. The islands were left exposed at a time when the Junta was looking for popular appeal. Perhaps they thought Argentina was most likely to turn its outward aggression toward Chile, I don't know, but there were signs- and they were ignored or discounted.
Spot on

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wasn't this withdrawal part of strategy though ?

Endurance wasn't finishing, just coming back to the UK as per normal. The Argentinians didn't know the climate of the Falklands or else they wouldn't have invaded at the start of winter. Their conscripts were wearing cotton uniforms.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I find that extraordinary given the geography of Argentina.

Was thinking the same,but that said even the British had problems too with the boots issued and wet feet..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was thinking the same,but that said even the British had problems too with the boots issued and wet feet..

That was down to the poor quality of uniform given to our troops, no matter where they were. It was even worse in the Middle East.

The climate in the Falklands is equivalent to the Shetland Islands. The Falklands are over 400 miles from Argentina.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That was down to the poor quality of uniform given to our troops, no matter where they were. It was even worse in the Middle East.

The climate in the Falklands is equivalent to the Shetland Islands. The Falklands are over 400 miles from Argentina.

Looking at the map,it does suggest otherwise,however i am happy to accept that being further out to sea and more exposed the principle still applies,one only has to compare South Georgia to the Falklands to see et another significant difference again.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Endurance wasn't finishing, just coming back to the UK as per normal. The Argentinians didn't know the climate of the Falklands or else they wouldn't have invaded at the start of winter. Their conscripts were wearing cotton uniforms.

According to the White paper, Endurance was indeed to be finished.

"The Ministry of Defence's 1981 Defence White Paper proposed naval cuts including decommissioning Endurance, which was scheduled for 15 April 1982.
Endurance's withdrawal from Antarctic patrol without replacement was perceived in Britain as having encouraged the Argentine invasion. The subsequent Franks Report acknowledged it as a factor (Main entry 'Events leading to the Falklands War')
."

Decommissioning isn't just popping home to Blighty for a bit of R&R! That cock up was enough to (rightly) finish Nott's career. Caused a lot of death too.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Ive been to South Georgia in December, there were still ice growlers in the sea, and it was bloody cold.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I was a forces kid, 11 at the time the Falklands War happened.

My dad was a Chief Petty Officer and it wasn't until a few years after when I was a bit older that I was able to understand the experiences that family friends were talking about. Totally put me off joining the forces.

That said, it's testament to the training and bravery of the UK armed forces that they were able to travel to the other side of the world and do what they did.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
According to the White paper, Endurance was indeed to be finished.

"The Ministry of Defence's 1981 Defence White Paper proposed naval cuts including decommissioning Endurance, which was scheduled for 15 April 1982.
Endurance's withdrawal from Antarctic patrol without replacement was perceived in Britain as having encouraged the Argentine invasion. The subsequent Franks Report acknowledged it as a factor (Main entry 'Events leading to the Falklands War')
."

Decommissioning isn't just popping home to Blighty for a bit of R&R! That cock up was enough to (rightly) finish Nott's career. Caused a lot of death too.

A white paper is a suggestion, which may or may not be carried out. Nott was a fool, I agree.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A white paper is a suggestion, which may or may not be carried out. Nott was a fool, I agree.

And a very dull front man.

My Dad (ex navy) and myself (aged 13) used to do impressions of him.

One of the lighter moments was when we had an invasion of ants in the kitchen that spring. Dad did a running commentary in a Nott style voice as they strode across the surfaces in single file.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
I spent 3 years down there 2005/8. And my wife's dad was on the Atlantic Conveyor when I was sunk. He survived ok. I also remember lots of footage on tv from the time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here