Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
In very exciting news Johnny Flynn has a new album out in March and the first single has just popped up on YouTube. Flynn emerged during that nu-folk explosion a few years ago. Unfortunately he didn't reach the same sort of popularity as Mumford and Sons despite being immeasurably more talented and interesting.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Any thoughts from anyone on Tigercub's debut album? Shows quite a maturing away already from their early Nirvana/QOTSA aping sound.

Pretty impressed. Glad to see them getting some exposure. I remember being pretty impressed by them at TGE 2013 or 2014 at The Mesmerist.

Lovely guys as well.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Unsure what you mean by this? I assume you don't mean the genre...

I didn't mean any specific genre - just that it's all a bit too heavy for me. Indie pop, folk and electronica is my bag mainly and although I do love a bit of shoegaze, that's about as far as it goes and stuff like Royal Blood and Tigercub goes right over my head.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I didn't mean any specific genre - just that it's all a bit too heavy for me. Indie pop, folk and electronica is my bag mainly and although I do love a bit of shoegaze, that's about as far as it goes and stuff like Royal Blood and Tigercub goes right over my head.

Fair enough GRANDAD

:thumbsup:

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
And an interesting project is the Flo Morrissey/Matthew E White - 'Gentlewoman/Ruby Man' album. It's a 10 track collaboration of re-invented covers - some more re-invented than others. The concept works well for a lot of tracks: Everyone Loves The Sunshine, Looking for You, Heaven Can Wait and a surprising but quite excellent cover of Grease. There's a few misses in there too though, most notably Suzanne although I think this is slightly unfortunate that with the recent passing of the great man that there has been a surfeit of Leonard Cohen covers doing the rounds. Even so, it's not offering much that isn't already out there. I'm a big fan of both artists previous works but as a rule I don't much care for covers albums however in this case I think it works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QuwwnNIZ3I
Just giving it a first listen now. I'm not familiar with Flo Morrissey but v keen on Matthew E White. As you say, not amazing but could well be a grower, and an interesting idiosyncratic set of choices. My daughter just came racing in to ask what was playing having recognised "Thinking Bout You" as a Frank Ocean cover, which is more than I did. Her verdict was that it was a good cover and she wants the album on her iPod. Always gratifying when an auld git like me can get my teenage kids into new music.

Can't help but like their version of "Grease"

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sad to hear about the passing of William Onyeabor today. A true music pioneer in his native Nigeria. And speaking of that country, here's a British/Nigerian act Ibibio Sound Machine who have an album out at the beginning of March available on Bandcamp and elsewhere. I heard another track from the album this morning but can't find a stream to it but here's the equally good 'The Pot Is On Fire'. I think this might interest [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION], [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] and [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION], all fans of Afro-funk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0EJrvtS3UY

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Last one from me today.

Proper Ornaments - 'Foxhole' There's a hell of a back story to this project from James Hoare (Veronica Falls) and Max Oscarnold (Toy) and the result is a sound that has heavy Beatles, Pink Floyd, Elliott Smith influences and makes for a great uplifting yet melancholy sound. The album Foxhole is out this week and is well worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u80qi5F2qgY

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure if this is right place but I want to bring up the recent Nick Cave album again. It's still getting regular spins at Tubthumper Towers. It's truly haunting at times and equally quite beautiful at times. Is it turning into a modern day Cave classic? I think it might be.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not sure if this is right place but I want to bring up the recent Nick Cave album again. It's still getting regular spins at Tubthumper Towers. It's truly haunting at times and equally quite beautiful at times. Is it turning into a modern day Cave classic? I think it might be.

I should think it's the perfect place to discuss. Yes, his best album in years and a classic.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Two new singles released over the last few days from bands who have been very quiet of late. First up is the Gorillaz with their first release in something like 6 years. It guest stars Benjamin Clementine, a new name to me and one to look out for. His voice is a lot like Nat King Cole when he sings, a South London boy when he speaks. The release is timed with Trump's inauguration and it's pretty easy to spot the references. Hopefully there's a new album out soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDUrpPvU1_4

The other single is from NSC favourites Timber Timbre with a track called 'Sewer Blues' and is the first release from their April scheduled album 'Sincerely Future Pollution'. The start is very reminiscent of the David Lynch song 'Pinky's Dream' but thereafter it's familiar territory for the band and their signature sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h5ePI_cvHk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Last one from me today.

Proper Ornaments - 'Foxhole' There's a hell of a back story to this project from James Hoare (Veronica Falls) and Max Oscarnold (Toy) and the result is a sound that has heavy Beatles, Pink Floyd, Elliott Smith influences and makes for a great uplifting yet melancholy sound. The album Foxhole is out this week and is well worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u80qi5F2qgY

Two from me to you for today: there's two things in here that make me want to listen to this. Which I'm about to.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Two new singles released over the last few days from bands who have been very quiet of late. First up is the Gorillaz with their first release in something like 6 years. It guest stars Benjamin Clementine, a new name to me and one to look out for. His voice is a lot like Nat King Cole when he sings, a South London boy when he speaks. The release is timed with Trump's inauguration and it's pretty easy to spot the references. Hopefully there's a new album out soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDUrpPvU1_4

The other single is from NSC favourites Timber Timbre with a track called 'Sewer Blues' and is the first release from their April scheduled album 'Sincerely Future Pollution'. The start is very reminiscent of the David Lynch song 'Pinky's Dream' but thereafter it's familiar territory for the band and their signature sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h5ePI_cvHk

And, second, I got Hot Dreams courtesy of an NSC albums thread (perhaps it was you plugging it) and, despite not listening to it for a while, was most impressed. Now, the signature sound you refer to, I'd describe as cinematic. Is that what you/others have in mind?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A new album out today: Austra - Future Politics

I don't know why but I always get it stuck in my head that Austra are British when in fact they're Canadian, Their brand of electro-pop has a feel to it that feels at home in the UK. This is their 3rd album and as with The Gorillaz takes a long hard look at world politics and asks all sorts of questions, the big one being about whether mankind can live in a world where we can ditch all the divisive politics. This album sound tighter and less expansive than the previous two although it's impossible for Katie Stelmanis' voice to do anything but dominate. There's plenty of variation with some solid dance tracks interspersed with more ambient ones and even references to Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

I reckon it's best to listen to the album as a whole and the ebb and flow to appreciate fully what it's trying to get at. It's a bit like the old Kate Bush albums in that respect, you can cherry pick the big hits but the other tunes can sound like album fillers in isolation whereas if you listen to them in the context and order of the album you get a much better listening experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fiacjVTorc

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Two from me to you for today: there's two things in here that make me want to listen to this. Which I'm about to.

It's pretty good. Isn't it? I recommend reading the bio at the bottom of their Bandcamp page to see the back story involving South America, drugs, shoplifting and Andrew Loog Oldham. https://theproperornaments.bandcamp.com/

And, second, I got Hot Dreams courtesy of an NSC albums thread (perhaps it was you plugging it) and, despite not listening to it for a while, was most impressed. Now, the signature sound you refer to, I'd describe as cinematic. Is that what you/others have in mind?

Yes and no. It's definitely got a cinematic feel but there's more to it that I can't quite describe. I do love it though.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
This tune has been on repeat all lunchtime and I'm still not bored of it. It's a very trippy track from Sweden's Hush Forever. This track reminds me a lot of Gonjasufi's dreamy 'Sheep'. I'm looking forward to the new album 'Find The Gap' too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIGlqmBG__w

Very pleasing - never heard of Hush Forever but signed up to the Facebook page to stay up-to-date on all things Hush. Thanks

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove

Jeez. 6 years since the underwhelming Plastic Beach. Where does the time go?

Benjamin Clementine does indeed have a lovely voice but that song didn't strike me as anything special on a first listen.

Timber Timbre sounded good on first listen. Like the brooding quality of it.

Thanks for both tips.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here