Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes v Dulwich Hamlet tonight - food menu

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Ca2nLiXW0AEdOf9.jpg

Designer grub for the hipster Hamlet fans.

PG

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What's the point in cooking a chip twice - waste of electricity imo...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nothing for veggies. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] wouldn't be pleased

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
It's a football match, not food festival. What's wrong with a proper catering van hotdog/burger at half the price of those.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
It's a football match, not food festival. What's wrong with a proper hotdog/burger at half the price of those.

These are the "specials". Presumably there are also standard burgers made of floor scrapings, intestines and hooves for those who would prefer.

Me, I'd quite happily take the duck curry for a fiver.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Just left off the thrice boiled water for a steaming hot cup of Rosie

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It's probably exactly the same fare as usual, they've just added a few more adjectives to the menu and hiked the price up.
The tobys from Dulwich will lap it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Just left off the thrice boiled water for a steaming hot cup of Rosie

To be honest, twice-cooked chips is a poor show. I've been in a pub which served triple cooked chips.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Does that just mean burnt?

I won't lie, I just ate them. I didn't enquire as to the hows or whys.

However, a quick Google reveals that Heston Blumenthal appears to be responsible for the repeat-cooking of chips:

Heston: "These chips are one of my proudest legacies! You see them on menus up and down the country now but the original recipe came out of endless experimenting at home long before I even opened the Fat Duck.

:rolleyes:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
To be honest, twice-cooked chips is a poor show. I've been in a pub which served triple cooked chips.

Most of the excellent frites places in Brussels bang on about triple fried, and I even watched a food programme once that explained why they do this and the chip structure it creates .... in other news, I also count coins and contemplate what life would be like without the Tetrapak!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I won't lie, I just ate them. I didn't enquire as to the hows or whys.

However, a quick Google reveals that Heston Blumenthal appears to be responsible for the repeat-cooking of chips:

Heston: "These chips are one of my proudest legacies! You see them on menus up and down the country now but the original recipe came out of endless experimenting at home long before I even opened the Fat Duck.

:rolleyes:

But then Blumenthal is been promoted one level up from the hipster - the twatster.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Most of the excellent frites places in Brussels bang on about triple fried, and I even watched a food programme once that explained why they do this and the chip structure it creates .... in other news, I also count coins and contemplate what life would be like without the Tetrapak!

Well. Heston (for it is he) claimed in that article I just quoted that he boils the chopped spuds first, then takes them out to cool. Then deep fries them, before taking them out and putting them in the freezer. Then deep fries them once more. Something- as you say- to do with the structure, cracks & fluffy edges making for better chips. So he says.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i've had triple cooked chips, where similar to having a 1/4 to 1/2 inch crisp. far too hard to eat and enjoy.

the Dutch and Belgian double fry their chips, its supposed to give you a properly crunchy outside while remaining soft inside.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here