Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 20 Signs That Prove You're A Football Manager Addict

Magic City

Mar 29, 2014
A 21st sign for me was subbing off my striker to a virtual standing ovation after completing his hat-trick... I can't be the only person to do this?!

Another thing I couldn't stand was losing my first game of the season. It used to make me feel sick; like I'd spent all those hours building a perfect squad and then bang - all for nothing. The following 45 games meant very little in those dark hours after the game.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Þórarinn Brynjar Kristjánsson

Tonton Zola Moukoko :clap2:

Yaya Sanogo however is undoubtedly the greatest striker ever to have played for me, 581 goals in 446 league appearances is the just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what he has done for the club.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
A 21st sign for me was subbing off my striker to a virtual standing ovation after completing his hat-trick... I can't be the only person to do this?!

Another thing I couldn't stand was losing my first game of the season. It used to make me feel sick; like I'd spent all those hours building a perfect squad and then bang - all for nothing. The following 45 games meant very little in those dark hours after the game.

I've had both these things. I recently promoted a youth regen to the first team and on his professional debut at the age of just 17 he smashed in a hat-trick against my bitter title rivals Manchester United. He even opened his account with his very first touch in professional football. A fairytale if ever there was one.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
I will admit to vocalising my answers to some press conferences aloud (in a terrible immitation of the accent of the manager I play as, currently Dutch), Sort of having an improptu one in front of my PC. :blush:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It has been a while, but classic Champ manager/ Football Manger signings of the past...

Cherno Samba
Freddy Adu
Tim Weiss

It has been a while but I am sure there are plenty other people remember.

Tonton Zola Moukoko :clap2:

Yaya Sanogo however is undoubtedly the greatest striker ever to have played for me, 581 goals in 446 league appearances is the just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what he has done for the club.
You've both missed out on the true legend of FM stars; Tó Madeira.

Godlike. Not even real.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
There was a player called Oskarrson in 03/04 I think, i forget his full name. Between him and Kristjansson, goals galore.

Brings back memories of my Gravesend & Northfleet game.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I have put in a lot of time to FM. Managed to get Brighton to the Prem a few times but then got relegated when the board would not release more funds (Withdean era) and I would invariably get the sack. I also used to get annoyed with getting players from being crap to a decent standard then them getting a mood on when I would not let them go, I was not a selling club, wanted to build from within ;P Then they'd flounce about in a strop.

I did find this a bit repetitive in the end though and stopped playing.

Have also played WOW in the past - now that was so addictive it really should have had a health warning! By far the most addictive thing I have come across on a PC, and probably beyond.

LennyD

Jul 15, 2009
You've both missed out on the true legend of FM stars; Tó Madeira.

Godlike. Not even real.

True that, legend.

Add to that the following

supat rungratsamee (some 16yr old from pompey, unsure if he was ever real)
kennedy bakircioglu (quality)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
True that, legend.

There was also a Finnish AMR/AML/ST who was cracking for a few years but I can't remember his name and it's really bugging me. Pretty sure his surname began with 'M' but that's it...

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
One player I signed in (I think) 03/04 was Oyvind Hoas.

A 6ft 8in BEAST, he destroyed Div 2 and went on to play for Man U after I sold him for something like 30 million.

Happy days...

Oct 25, 2003
supat rungratsamee
tonton zola moukoko
maxim tsigalko
lauri dalla valle
to madeira
fredy guarin
lulinha
mika aaritalo
cherno samba
dimitriu copil

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
if that was 2008/2009 - it must have been Mika Aaritalo

there were some other CRACKERS that year...
Bogdan Stancu
Pablo Piatti

Yes, my good man, I do believe you've cracked it.

I also recall Pablo Piatti, an absolute monster after a season or two!

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
When you sign unknowns from Banford for little money and they go on to sell for millions. Similarly, signing unknowns who go on to be big players. I feel proud to have discovered Zouma & Sanchez.

Jul 7, 2003
True that, legend.

I remember Supat - he was around just after Tomas Peckart who was young player from Serbia or Croatia or somewhere in that region. Think you had to buy him as a youth player from Spurs.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
This thread made me get 2014 for £8 today and download an update. Bearing in mind I've never been great at FM, this is what our current squad with as close to the actual formation as I can get can do. Untitled.png

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
:eek:Championship Manager 3 was were it all started for me, purchased after hearing some older lads chatting about their exploits on the school bus every morning. The years and players have blurred over time but I think that was the Brighton team including the likes of Minton, Culverhouse, Mayo, Hart and Walton (first move was always to sign a new 'keeper). Also a young lad I 'think' called Terry Streeter who used to score as a substitute in pretty much every game despite having seemingly awful stats.

It was purely text commentary back then, no dots or graphics. Trying to explain to bemused parents and uneducated mates why I was so engrossed in flashing text was always a challenge!

In later versions of the game Brighton always moved to a 15,000 seated stadium at Falmer within a couple of years, the protracted planning permission and Lewis District Council were obviously not coded into the game properly :moo:

I would spend pretty much all weekend every weekend playing this damn game with only toilet breaks keeping me away from nurturing my team - apart from the odd excursions to the Championship Manager forum to discuss, well, you can guess what..! Elation and dispair were experienced in equal measure with incredible achievements and embarrassing failures along the way with huge saves resulting in the family PC grinding to a halt as all the world results were being processed. There were often times when confusion reigned over match results and transfers in my saves to that of real life, having to give serious thought as to what was 'real' during the Monday morning chats about the weekend results.

Some great player names listed in this thread, all the 'secret' players that everyone always knew about anyway. Andry Sigpursson (spelling?) absent from the list though and I usually signed a youngish midfielder from Scotland, possibly from Motherwell or Kilmarnock that I just can't remember the name of. John Fleck from Rangers was always a good buy or Robbie Keane snapped up from Wolves in whatever year of the game that was if you had a bit of cash at a larger team. Always remember Trevor Benjamin being absolutely IMMENSE in one save for my Chelsea team, took him with me when I left for Fiorentina and he was a goal machine there too. Leon Knight wasn't bad either...

I think the last version I bought was the first or second incarnation of Football Manager after the Si Games split; a good 6/7 years ago I guess. Other life priorities then started to take precedent but it is something I often think about having a go at again - I believe there's been a 'stripped down' option in recent years that you can play through at a quicker pace? Kind of how it used to be back inthe early 2000's where you didn't have to get bogged down in all the training regimes etc? Is that about right?

Realistically though, now at the age of 30, married with a 1 year old daughter, stressful job and mortgage to pay I don't think I'd have the time to fit it in now. On the other hand I have just purchased a new laptop... This thread is dangerous! :eek: :D

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
My name is Sompting_seagull and I too am a FM addict. 30 years man n boy. 1st game...80's Commodore 64, to K'in years of getting the Albion to the pinnacles of football greatness in various games! With a little help with the ol' save n load. Shame real life's not the same, been plenty of games I would have exited half way through to restart again.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
View attachment 58060

We had a 2-0 lead from the first leg. I am f*cking LIVID.

Glad to see someone else is playing 12. I'm doing a journeyman save but starting with a good reputation. Started at Feyenoord, won the league in my third season and then the far richer Bayer Leverkusen came calling. 4 and a bit seasons there produced a second place followed by three straight titles and two Champions Leagues in a row.

Then the opportunity to turn round an ageing, stagnating Real Madrid came up. Took over with the team in 7th, and ended second, albeit a long way behind Barcelona. Spent a fortune over the summer and generally played brilliantly, including 6-0, 5-0 and 5-3 wins over Barcelona. But consistency eluded us and we've finished second, just 2 points behind Barcelona who have an unbelievable regen striker up front. He finished the season with 68 goals.

So now I'm spending even more money on the next stage of rebuilding, although a 36-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo is still scoring 20+ a season for me. It truly is an unbelievably great but also terrifyingly addictive game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here