Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Oh I've seen that! Don't want to get into the debate as such, just wondering why the EU is important now but wasn't when voting for MEPs

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Open your eyes, read a few posts on this site, and you'll quickly understand our reasons. It's not difficult.

I think I understand your reasons and they seem perfectly valid to me. I think if the Remain campaign had promoted this positive case for membership we would have seen a better debate and it may not have been so close to call. Instead we have had Project Fear from the leaders and disseminated by the cheerleaders. Equally, Nigel Farage has derailed the Leave campaign with his obsession with immigration.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I voted because the EU ( not Europe ! ) does matter. It is exactly why I voted for the MEP candidate I did. I want to leave the EU so I voted for someone that can cause a little bit of turmoil.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Show me a study that says there is no benefit from immigration, or that immigrants stretch services. They don't. They use less services than Brits, and they are net contributors to the UK treasury. These Spanish kids working in bars in Brighton and Polish builders in Angel pay into the system and take very little out. They subsidise British people's services.

Your ignore that we need immigrants to pay down the deficit not increase it.

I have repeatedly posted links to these surveys and quoted from them but you choose to continually ignore them. If you only ever read Remain approved surveys you end up making ridiculous statements like immigration doesn't stretch services.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/347

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/fiscal-impact-immigration-uk

The current scale of migration to the UK, 330,000 a year, of which roughly half is from the EU, is completely unsustainable.

As a result of this mass immigration our population is projected to rise by half a million every year – the equivalent of a city the size of Liverpool – for as long as immigration is permitted on the present scale.

England is already twice as crowded as Germany and 3.5 times as crowded as France.

The additional population growth makes congestion worse and adds to the pressures on public services. This comes at a time when public spending is being reduced.

One in four children born in England and Wales is to a foreign born mother. The rise in the number of births has put pressure on NHS maternity services.

It has also led to a shortage of school places. 60% of local authorities will have a shortage of primary school places by 2018.

The UK has a serious housing crisis. Mass immigration is the main reason for the additional demand. We must build a new home every six minutes for the next 20 years to accommodate the additional demand for housing from new migrants.

Population growth on this scale renders integration of newcomers virtually impossible.

Three quarters of the public want to see immigration reduced and half of them want it cut by a lot.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/377

More on housing - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36262372

Schools - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36260947 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ools-revealed/

The EU is also giving Turkey €4.5 Billion to help them reach the required EU entry standard which is either a complete waste of money (some of it ours) or it means Turkey will join the EU at some point in the near future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36153200

Some Immigration is beneficial but it's all about the scale and rate of change,our ability to cope, integration and the problems associated with not having any control in limiting at least 50% of it.

Take back control - Vote Leave

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
You're right! I do know that, but the tone of the campaign has often been one of vitriol against the "flood" of immigrants arriving in the UK. I think the average punter has been assured that the quantum of immigration will fall substantially post Brexit. At least Boris was honest enough to admit that this may not be the case.

That's fair. Both sides are guilty of misdirection. Leave as you say. And Cameron was literally tying himself in knots on the Today program, desperate not to admit free flow of labour is, in fact, a fact. Which is a bit silly really.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Stands to reason someone has to be the greatest nation in the world.
I think its us as well,even if the remain camp continue to tell us we are crap and will be forever crap if we dont hold the hand of the EU
who do you think then is the greatest nation if not Britain?

The remain camp do not keep telling us we're a crap country. That's what you just chose to make of it because it helps justify your decision!!!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I would assume that some do not vote for an MEP due to them not liking the EU and not wanting to appear part of the EU democratic process.

In addition, some of the fiercest Out voters that I know did not even vote for their MP.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The remain camp do not keep telling us we're a crap country. That's what you just chose to make of it because it helps justify your decision!!!

The whole Remain argument is predicated on the idea we aren't strong or good enough to be a great, successful, independent nation that can prosper outside the EU.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think I understand your reasons and they seem perfectly valid to me. I think if the Remain campaign had promoted this positive case for membership we would have seen a better debate and it may not have been so close to call. Instead we have had Project Fear from the leaders and disseminated by the cheerleaders. Equally, Nigel Farage has derailed the Leave campaign with his obsession with immigration.

Agree. It's been an appalling campaign from both sides.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Not UKIP presumably then, as they barely turn up - a wasted vote.

There's no such thing as a wasted voted - I've always voted in every election except the PCC ones ( which really are a waste of time and money )

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Yet another example of the desperate nonsense Brexiteers are spouting. Everyone knows that if anyone is box-fresh.... its Bond.

That's Basildon Bond,boxfresh,not James.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
'Don't bite the hand that feeds you' ..... ever heard of that saying ? No idea what it is in German.

A cheap and trite response. And as I said, you clearly have no idea about peer review, scientific rigour, journal publication etc. Otherwise you would type what you did. And Every academic establishment in the uk benefits from government money one way or another. To rubbish all their research in one single brush stroke is absurd. Or a smoke screen for lack of a decent counter.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There's no such thing as a wasted voted - I've always voted in every election except the PCC ones ( which really are a waste of time and money )

I disagree, most votes in General Elections are wasted due to our crooked electoral system. Fortunately the EU is far more democratic.

(Lights blue touch paper and runs).

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
HahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh dear, that's cheered me up no end.

Probably the only thing Remain have left to amuse them-glad to have brightened up your day,wherever you think you are.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I disagree, most votes in General Elections are wasted due to our crooked electoral system. Fortunately the EU is far more democratic.

(Lights blue touch paper and runs).

As you're a gentleman I'm going to agree to disagree :)

Blue touch paper pissed on :whistle:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I believe that we will see a change in the freedom of movement if we stay the Germany French Dutch etc people are all starting to Question it .my main concern the horrible scenes we see on the north coast of France if we are out will cause the French people will say please go to England so be carful what you wish for. At the moment our boarder is in France but this will change if we come out.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The whole Remain argument is predicated on the idea we aren't strong or good enough to be a great, successful, independent nation that can prosper outside the EU.

That is crap. We are a great, good, strong country in or out, the remain argument is that it is to our advantage to remain in the EU. It is only if you want to leave that you subjectively understand that as a negative as [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] pointed out.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That is crap. We are a great, good, strong country in or out, the remain argument is that it is to our advantage to remain in the EU. It is only if you want to leave that you subjectively understand that as a negative as [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] pointed out.

As you are probably the first Remain supporter on any of these numerous threads who has clearly stated we can be a great, good ,strong country outside the EU I think this rather proves my point.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here