Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Canada legalises recreational cannabis use.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I’d rather my children had the ability to not do what one of their friends does without completely servering the friendship.

Just seems massively OTT

My children just did not want that lifestyle. They hang out with the great many people who don't use such drugs. All friendships form with some common interests. They are both balanced people who are social, kind and did not have any malice with the people who smoked this, just they prefer to spend time with people who enjoy the same interests. They wouldn't shun everyone, they don't like being around when people are smoking it. They prefer to enjoy life with vigor instead of sitting around and being stoned.

I am very very proud of them both.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
My children just did not want that lifestyle. They hang out with the great many people who don't use such drugs. All friendships form with some common interests. They are both balanced people who are social, kind and did not have any malice with the people who smoked this, just they prefer to spend time with people who enjoy the same interests. They wouldn't shun everyone, they don't like being around when people are smoking it. They prefer to enjoy life with vigor instead of sitting around and being stoned.

I am very very proud of them both.

Not going to change your mind and I'm not even going to bother trying but this bit I take umbrage with.

I've spent a fair bit of time on my arse smoking weed, playing video games and eating far too many chocolate digestives but I've also spent a lot of time walking the Downs whilst having a smoke with friends.

It's such a lazy stereotype to assume that everyone who smokes just sits in a dark room for hours and hours.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
People do drugs/drink because it takes them out of mundane life for a few hours.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It carries a higher risk of Lung cancer than cigarettes and it is a gateway to other drugs.

gram for gram it might carry a higher risk of lung cancer than cigarettes, but who the hell smokes 20 full cannabis spliffs a day!

It is only a gateway to other drugs because the same person selling the weed is selling the coke. Otherwise there is no more correlation from cannabis to other drugs as there is from a banana to other drugs

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
gram for gram it might carry a higher risk of lung cancer than cigarettes, but who the hell smokes 20 full cannabis spliffs a day!

It is only a gateway to other drugs because the same person selling the weed is selling the coke. Otherwise there is no more correlation from cannabis to other drugs as there is from a banana to other drugs

I can see the 'free banana with every eighth ' idea catching on. Drug dealer with a conscience.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I once knew a bloke hooked on heroin. Saw him eating a banana once too.

FACT.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Not going to change your mind and I'm not even going to bother trying but this bit I take umbrage with.

I've spent a fair bit of time on my arse smoking weed, playing video games and eating far too many chocolate digestives but I've also spent a lot of time walking the Downs whilst having a smoke with friends.

It's such a lazy stereotype to assume that everyone who smokes just sits in a dark room for hours and hours.

My comment isn't my thoughts on those of you who smoke it. I accept your choice for your own life. I just don't think the government should legalise it.

My comment referred simply to the circumstances which my children were faced at the time they came into contact with people who they naturally migrated away from.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
But by your own admission on this thread you take drugs. Would be nice at least if you could be consistent, what with all the lecturing you're giving everyone else

I mean hard core illegal drugs. I am not lecturing others. I am simply debating whether in my humble opinion, the government should legalise it. They have to balance what is the right message to send to the whole population. They have additional priorities to consider such as the impact on publicly funded organisations.

My own position for myself and my family are my own choice. I have a friend who has smoked it and I openly disagree with it but accept his right to behave in accordance with his own choices. It is a natural respect that he would not behave that way in front of me as then I would no longer seek any such persons companionship.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I mean hard core illegal drugs. I am not lecturing others. I am simply debating whether in my humble opinion, the government should legalise it. They have to balance what is the right message to send to the whole population. They have additional priorities to consider such as the impact on publicly funded organisations.

My own position for myself and my family are my own choice. I have a friend who has smoked it and I openly disagree with it but accept his right to behave in accordance with his own choices. It is a natural respect that he would not behave that way in front of me as then I would no longer seek any such persons companionship.

Ok. So clearly the message that is currently being sent by the government is that marajuana is a hard-core drug. As the negative impacts of the drug are provably less than that of tobacco and alcohol, both of which are not considered to be 'hard-core drugs', marajuana is therefore not a hard-core drug, and the government needs to legalise it in order to send the right message.

Keeping it illegal would send the wrong message to the population, and I'm sure you would agree that is not on.

Legalising it of course in no way compels you or your family to smoke it, and you can continue to make that choice. I for example choose not to eat peanut butter because I hate the damn stuff, and ensure that my family don't either so I can avoid the smell in my own home.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Legalising it of course in no way compels you or your family to smoke it, and you can continue to make that choice. I for example choose not to eat peanut butter because I hate the damn stuff, and ensure that my family don't either so I can avoid the smell in my own home.

what is your position on satay and other peanut derived foods?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Canada have done the right thing and we should follow suit.

We won't thought because it doesn't play well with Theresa's May's Daily Mail-reading core supporters.
Daily Mail readers might, but Daily Telegraph readers (aka intelligent Tories) will be leading the calls for change. It was the Telegraph who carried a piece by William Hague saying the war on drugs had been comprehensively lost and we needed a new approach. Today there's an article by a man who lost his son to really strong skunk - and he's in favour of full legalisation!

If the Telegraph are leaning that way they could drag their more ignorant Tory brethren with them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I do like satay that is true. And peanuts in general are absolutely fine. Peanut butter though, urghhh. So when I criminalise the acts of owning, consuming or trading in peanut butter, there will have to be specific guidelines.

i do understand, i have a similar selective like/dislike with coconut.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here