Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phone Scams

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Related to the email thread - anyone getting the new "chitty chatty" phone scams where a recorded voice attempts to sound live ?

Hi how are you...

mmm.. there seems to be a problem on the line, I can't hear you.

Did you say yes, ok wait a sec I might have to transfer you.

If that's the state of AI - I think our jobs are safe for a while.

I still continue to get the various "British International Insurance Accidents Investigation Unit" ones who are all apparently based in Garratt Lane, Wandsworth.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Related to the email thread - anyone getting the new "chitty chatty" phone scams where a recorded voice attempts to sound live ?

Hi how are you...

mmm.. there seems to be a problem on the line, I can't hear you.

Did you say yes, ok wait a sec I might have to transfer you.

If that's the state of AI - I think our jobs are safe for a while.

I still continue to get the various "British International Insurance Accidents Investigation Unit" ones who are all apparently based in Garratt Lane, Wandsworth.

Isn’t that the AI working exactly as it should? Any response from the person being called results in a transfer of the call to some call centre full of people waiting to try and scam those who are unaware.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Talking of attempted phone scams, (and l seem to have been the recipient of quite a few), the 'best' one l had happened just a few weeks ago, when an automated American voice informed me that a warrant was out for my arrest, but if l waited to be put through to a colleague it could be cancelled, for a substantial fee.

Incredible to think that people would be taken in by a scam like that, but no doubt they are. As is always the case with these things, on talking to the police afterwards the call came from an untraceable number, and they could do nothing.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
If I don't recognise the number, I don't answer it. I google the number after, see if it's a scam, then block it. Sad state of affairs when you can't even answer your own phone now without getting these tosspots.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If I don't recognise the number, I don't answer it. I google the number after, see if it's a scam, then block it. Sad state of affairs when you can't even answer your own phone now without getting these tosspots.

Something Ofcom could nip in the bud by allowing phone companies to block calls incoming from operators known to spoof CLI.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The worst I've had was a witheld number that kept calling perhaps three or four times a day for a couple of weeks. I complained to O2 and they said they could see the number but weren't allowed to give me it. The only suggestion they could make is that they could provide me with a new number free of charge! I've had my phone number for nearly 20 years, I don't really want to change it...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yeah that tends to be what I do. If it's something legit they can always leave a message or send a text. Means I've not spoken to a scammer for years.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I get loads of calls, allegedly from BT, saying how sorry they are that my broadband is down, or it could be cut off. When I tell them I am not with BT they are never deterred so I say I am transferring the call to the Met Police.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
We get these on a regular basis and depending on the mood we have 2 ways of dealing with them. If its about "your PC is bad and I am calling from MicrosSoft" we go through the whole routine they roll out of following their instructions (but not actually doing anything) and tag them along for about 15 mins and then say..."nope the only thing I can see is a picture of an Apple" Thats usually followed by a torrent of abuse about wasting time etc. And then click.:clap2:
I am informed apparently they are paid on how many calls they can make in a an hour so if you can keep them on the line for as long as possible it screws them up big time and they get annoyed (bless).
The other method is to say "hang on let me get in front of my PC" and then put the phone next to the hifi which is running a particular funny track from Derek & Clive called "You !!nt"
I find the call then gets terminated quite quickly. Then we just block them. Job done and a bit of entertainment along the way.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I love the ‘youve Just had an accident haven’t you” ones. I sometimes if I have partaken, just play along in the voice of a drunken major or a mad old upper class dame. Nearly 15 minutes once on 4 escaped tigers in my ‘accident’ claim. ( or was it one tiger and 4 antelope....anyway)

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I get these all the time
We bought one of the BT call guardian phones and they are 100% brilliant - would recommend them to anyone. If anyone who is not in your recognised phone numbers calls and they are a genuine caller the call guardian software will put them through. The problem now is that I'm getting them on my mobile - dependant on how I'm feeling that day I either play along with them and try and waste their time or use my simple two word phrase which i'm sure everyone can guess ! I did have a decent one the other day who enquired about the accident I'd just had and I played along but ending up saying that I'd just sh!t the bed and what could they do about that ? I absolutely loathe these people.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just got an email supposedly from RBS saying that they believe that the personal phone number they hold is incorrect, and asking me to click on a link to sign in to correct.

Only one problem with all this, I have never had an RBS account.

Deleted to trash

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Talking of attempted phone scams, (and l seem to have been the recipient of quite a few), the 'best' one l had happened just a few weeks ago, when an automated American voice informed me that a warrant was out for my arrest, but if l waited to be put through to a colleague it could be cancelled, for a substantial fee.

Incredible to think that people would be taken in by a scam like that, but no doubt they are. As is always the case with these things, on talking to the police afterwards the call came from an untraceable number, and they could do nothing.

We like to think we're savvy and have all our mental faculties, but there are millions of older people out there who've lost that confidence and/or are easily disorientated. Cannon fodder for the scamming scum.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here