Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I listed those because I was asked what laws did I wanted reformed.

Fundamentally I voted leave because I wanted whatever happens to this country to be decided by those who have been voted for by the people of this country not the rest of Europe. That’s it.

And it is for the most part, the bits decided at EU level, our elected representatives also take part in the decision, at least they used to before UKIP MEP's.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well it's true, so why not?

True that most voted leave to be free to set our own trade deals with other countries without any restrictions? Or true that most don't want into the single market?
Most polls I have seen show people want into the single market, as long as they don't have to have the free movement thing, which is not the thing stopping us doing trade deals any way, it is the customs union.
No, don't believe the vote was won on the back of potential trade deals with the US and China.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Generally I don't like the fact the EU can overrule British law and British judgements.

But if you want some specifics, off the top of my head:

Free movement of labour law
The right to be forgotten rule
Child benefit for migrant workers
Working time directive
Fisheries policy
VAT on energy bills law
Climate change directive
Diabetic motorists directive

I wouldn’t want our government’s grubby fingers anywhere near those laws, I’d rather be protected thanks very much. Which bits of the working time directive and climate change doesn’t work for you that you’d like to change for everyone else?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Some of these posts are getting just a little desperate.

It would have been better if Boris had been in charge :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
From 9 months ago

I suspect that this will be the next response from Brexiteers. 'She was a remainer all along and we have been stitched up'.

I wonder why the dream team of Nige, Boris, Andrea and Gove didn't continue their marvellous winning streak and lead us on to the Brexit that they outlined ???

MYSTIC-MEG_2882318b.jpg

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
David Davis 2002

There is a proper role for referendums in constitutional change, but only if done properly. If it is not done properly, it can be a dangerous tool. The Chairman of the Public Administration Committee, who is no longer in the Chamber, said that Clement Attlee—who is, I think, one of the Deputy Prime Minister's heroes—famously described the referendum as the device of demagogues and dictators.

We may not always go as far as he did, but what is certain is that pre-legislative referendums of the type the Deputy Prime Minister is proposing are the worst type of all. Referendums should be held when the electorate are in the best possible position to make a judgment. They should be held when people can view all the arguments for and against and when those arguments have been rigorously tested. In short, referendums should be held when people know exactly what they are getting. So legislation should be debated by Members of Parliament on the Floor of the House, and then put to the electorate for the voters to judge.

We should not ask people to vote on a blank sheet of paper and tell them to trust us to fill in the details afterwards. For referendums to be fair and compatible with our parliamentary process, we need the electors to be as well informed as possible and to know exactly what they are voting for. Referendums need to be treated as an addition to the parliamentary process, not as a substitute for it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
they are independent treaties, until we invoke Article 127 we remain in the Single Market it describes. doesnt cover Customs Union though, so perhaps we'll hear more about this in the coming months?

The Government's legal position (allegedly) is they believe Article 127 is covered by Article 50, but that doesn't mean a great deal as I think we all know they really don't know what they're doing. The 'transition' alone would suggest this isn't the case. I suppose if, or rather when, we're heading for a no deal scenario in 6 months time some judges in London and Luxembourg will rule accordingly on Article 127 once a further challenge is made and can look forward to having their sexual orientation published on the front page of a British newspaper as result.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Theresa May says "Nobody said this was going to be easy". Step forward Liam Fox.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Which bits of the working time directive and climate change doesn’t work for you that you’d like to change for everyone else?

Just for balance, which bits of the working time directive and climate change do work for you that you want to impose on everybody else?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Just for balance, which bits of the working time directive and climate change do work for you that you want to impose on everybody else?

To paraphrase from the EU website... working for over the 48-hour average weekly limit can not only disrupt the balance between work and family life but poses risks both for the workers themselves and for others (colleagues, service users).

Makes sense to me. Gives people a chance to enjoy life rather than working all the time. Also, if you're at work all the time you do lose concentration and start making worse decisions. That protects the employer, the employee and the 'service users'. Everybody wins. Trebles all round.

With regards to climate change, some of the EU policies so far have been: A directive to promote electricity from renewable energy, voluntary commitments by car makers to reduce CO 2 emissions by 25% and proposals on the taxation of energy products.

All looks good to me. Policies that benefit everyone by improving the air that we all breathe.

Which parts do you disagree with?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Which parts do you disagree with?

Who said I did? I was questioning the view (shared by most remainers, I'm afraid) that their views are perfect and OK to impose on everybody else, and those who disagree are in one way or another not worthy of consideration - in this case the accusation was of selfishness - "which bits that you don't like would you like to change for everybody else".

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Who said I did? I was questioning the view (shared by most remainers, I'm afraid) that their views are perfect and OK to impose on everybody else, and those who disagree are in one way or another not worthy of consideration - in this case the accusation was of selfishness - "which bits that you don't like would you like to change for everybody else".

It would have been clearer if you had said that in your first post rather than asking a question.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
images

Oooo I've blocked everyone/anyone that disagrees with me or insults my huge ego .... #King of the Snowflakes :tantrum:

Do you think someone should introduce him to the delights of spell-checker?As if we are interested in his comments or opinion :lolol:

momentum.png

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports