Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Christ, I didn't take you to be anti Tory too.

I never vote for a party. I judge each government on their leaders & policies at the time. I've voted for all three main parties in my lifetime, and spoilt my paper a couple of times.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Unions really do not understand how to garner public support do they.

By striking from 11:00 on day one until 10:59 on day 2, that effectively makes it a 2 day strike as far as commuters are concerned, as I can get to work on Tuesday but can't get home, and could get home on Wednesday but I can't get there. Fortunately for me, I work for an understanding company who will simply allow me to work from home, but I know of other commuters who will be forced to take 2 days leave as they cannot get to work.

Fair enough, if there is a genuine grievance then strike for a day, but that is just taking the piss.

Agreed, Yet again the safety question has been raised when it is known that this matter of manning trains has been used on other regions without problems, the member of staff now carries out ticket checks on passengers providing additional revenue

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Agreed, Yet again the safety question has been raised when it is known that this matter of manning trains has been used on other regions without problems, the member of staff now carries out ticket checks on passengers providing additional revenue

Pointless exercise in GTR to gain more additional revenue checking tickets as it is a paid management contract so any additional revenue would go to the Government

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Spot on. The times on that proposal are simply taking the piss and at less that a weeks notice leaves people with work commitments that will prove difficult to move.

As I understand it this change is not impacting salaries or staffing numbers so difficult to find sympathy with this disproportionate level of reaction from the union

This situation has been allowed to continue for two years causing huge problems to travellers and loss of earnings to staff

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Pickles

May 5, 2014
What was it like going from Three Bridges to Gatwick, around 11.00?

I ask because I had a mate flying back to Germany and he would have been there about that time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
yeah. I'm not looking forward to the new timetable they KEEP announcing

Have to say the new timetable from May 20th (from a London commuting perspective anyway) looks vastly improved from my station.......or at least it would, if there was any chance they might stick to it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
New timetable announced - not a single train has not had it's timing changed, according to this story -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44125502
Glad I don't use the train to get to the Amex anymore...

There is going to be carnage on Monday. The commuter route I take to London (Littlehampton to London Bridge) has been changed quite radically, with n hour between trains in the morning and more worryingly, the current (always rammed) 3 direct trains fromLB to LA trains have been reduced to 2 (an hour apart) which start at Bedford and go via City Thameslink and Blackfriars, so who knows how busy they'll be BEFORE they get to LB.

And they describe this as improvements!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Got to travel Tuesday, this looks ominous

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There is going to be carnage on Monday. The commuter route I take to London (Littlehampton to London Bridge) has been changed quite radically, with n hour between trains in the morning and more worryingly, the current (always rammed) 3 direct trains fromLB to LA trains have been reduced to 2 (an hour apart) which start at Bedford and go via City Thameslink and Blackfriars, so who knows how busy they'll be BEFORE they get to LB.

And they describe this as improvements!

i suppose the "improvment" measure is based on overall service across the network. i saw there is not 15 trains an hour Brighton to London, something has to make way for those services so east and west coast lose some service. trains i get a all slightly earlier, annoying to adjust to, and lose one in the evening but there's a better gap between them.

funny thing with our local MPs bleating on about it, the consultation for the changes was in 2016-2017, and not much fuss made about it then. they arent going to change the changed now, too late.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
i suppose the "improvment" measure is based on overall service across the network. i saw there is not 15 trains an hour Brighton to London, something has to make way for those services so east and west coast lose some service. trains i get a all slightly earlier, annoying to adjust to, and lose one in the evening but there's a better gap between them.

funny thing with our local MPs bleating on about it, the consultation for the changes was in 2016-2017, and not much fuss made about it then. they arent going to change the changed now, too late.

I'm sure I remember that during the consultation period the West coast line to LB was promised extra trains not less. The Consultation is only worth anything if it isn't based upon lies.

Re the Brighton services - it's clear what they are trying to do, and the new timetable rams this down our throats now, they want us to catch one of the numerous and frequent lightly used services to Victoria and change at East Croydon OR go to Brighton and change. The passengers become the part of the equation that flexes to deliver their efficiency. So we spend most of our commute standing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here