Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] South Africa V England 1st Test

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Before Steyn pulled up and off I was already thinking this is the weakest South African team I have ever watched, excluding their B team that masqueraded under the guise of the English cricket team a few years back, of course.

Incredible to think they are way out in front as the Worlds number 1. Philander is a loss for them but otherwise they are at full strength. Certainly on paper I'd see them somewhere around 4th. You could make a strong argument that player for player England are ahead of them.

With lots of cricketing legends retiring in the past five years this is arguably the most ordinary period of test cricket I've ever seen. You only have to look at the Ashes last summer, we were just a bit less shit then Australia.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Seems at the moment that Cook is capable of undoing any good work his bowling unit can conjure up. Is he worth his place any more?

What an outstanding point you make! England are awash with World class openers. Carberry, Lyth & Robson are all averaging close to fifty with a record number of test match centuries for an England player.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hashim Amla has had his worst Test batting year for 10 years. Is this from the pressure of being Captain? He doesn't seem that good at that. Why didn't AB get it?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
How quick we forget it was in October he batted for two days against Pakistan scoring double century. Great test cricketer and becoming a great captain. First name on the team sheet with Anderson and Broad.

Stokes would be the 2nd name on my team sheet, after Captain Cook. He brings balance to the force.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This is going well, you get the feeling that Root is beginning to tick....

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Lack of confidence in the SA side typified by the dropped catches. They are there for the taking. Come on England......

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's really good to see Compton back in the England team. He was harshly treated IMO.
Loved Bell, but he was living off past performances for the last year or so.

Hoping NC will do the necessary to secure a spot in the team for the foreseeable.
Loving the Trottesque solidity at 3 that bell could not deliver

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Compton and Root 63 partnership... England lead by 200 with 8 wickets in hand. Plenty of time to bat South Africa out of this... and allow time for the new ball should it be needed in the 2nd innings.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Excellent day. Should be able to get 450 ahead in quickish time (tea) with no Steyn involved.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Excellent day. Should be able to get 450 ahead in quickish time (tea) with no Steyn involved.

No need, push on, get a lead of 350, and declare half an hour after lunch. They haven't hit more than 250 in an innings for a while, batting last on a slow turning pitch, I'd be surprised if they managed 200. Best not to take any chances with the weather. Hope Cook isn't too cautious

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Would be very surprised to see an England declaration before at least a 400 lead. Assuming we don't get bowled out beforehand obviously.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
No rain forecast - we haven't had much for months anyway so it would be very unlucky to get a load now. Bat for at least 3 hours tomorrow if possible, 400+ lead. SA appear to be in disarray - we need to help them unravel even more.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Would be very surprised to see an England declaration before at least a 400 lead. Assuming we don't get bowled out beforehand obviously.

Agreed, it'll be 400-450 before we declare given the time left but also agree with [MENTION=27870]crookie[/MENTION] that they'll struggle to get much above 200

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Roooooooooooot

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
No rain forecast - we haven't had much for months anyway so it would be very unlucky to get a load now. Bat for at least 3 hours tomorrow if possible, 400+ lead. SA appear to be in disarray - we need to help them unravel even more.
This

We have the chance to crush them. Plenty of time. Use it to get some batting practise and set up a massive total to bowl at.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Top test run chase on this ground is 340-odd. I'd insert the Boks half an hour before tea, providing the lead has reached 400.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here