Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Country Pub recommendation for great food

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The same food chain as The Sergison in Haywards Heath which we used to use a lot but had a meal there recently that was awful so will not be going back. Noticed The Black Lion ex Harvester at Patcham is changing to a Miller Carter Steakhouse like in North Lancing which is quite good for a large chain. It is still owned by M & B Pubs but an improved steakhouse.

Yes I noticed that the other day on my way into Brighton. So Miller Carter and Harvester are both owned by the same company?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes I noticed that the other day on my way into Brighton. So Miller Carter and Harvester are both owned by the same company?

Yes M & B as is Vintage Inns as mentioned in this thread, Ember Inns, Premier Country Inns, Toby Carvery, Crown Carvery Sizzling Steak and many many more. In fact too many to list which is understandable why their majar share holder Joe Lewis is a very wealthy man and was not sure if he still is major shareholder in Tottenham Hotspurs.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Shepherd and Dog is very good, excellent beer there too. I had a very nice meal at the Roebuck Inn in Laughton, it's run by the same people who have the Snowdrop in Lewes. in fact nowadays it's increasingly rare to find a totally shit village pub meal, they just don't survive without good food.

You should try the Hare & Hounds in my home village then!, although hopefully will improve now they have a new landlord this month.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes M & B as is Vintage Inns as mentioned in this thread, Ember Inns, Premier Country Inns, Toby Carvery, Crown Carvery Sizzling Steak and many many more. In fact too many to list which is understandable why their majar share holder Joe Lewis is a very wealthy man and was not sure if he still is major shareholder in Tottenham Hotspurs.

Interesting, thank you.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
The fountain, half moon and the plough......all at Plumpton. Top notch. Jolly sportsman at east chiltington is good. Both pubs...green man and anchor, in Ringmer are superb

Went up the Dyke last week....good grub there too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You should try the Hare & Hounds in my home village then!, although hopefully will improve now they have a new landlord this month.

Is that the pub on the left going from Co Op roundabout towards Henfield. Has the new landlord moved in yet as I have just found out today that my grand daughter works behind the bar in that pub.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I know I can rely on you lot.

I’m looking for the best country pub not too far from Brighton (north or east of) that serves great lunch time food.
Ridiculous, try posting that you need a restaurant that sells great beer.

Jul 7, 2003
Had a very pleasant lunch the other day in the lovely garden at the Friars Oak, just north of Hassocks on the A273. Its a Vintage Inns jobbie, their food is usually pretty decent in my experience.

Service is very hit and miss there. Last time we went as a group (pre-booked) for lunch, we walked out after 90 minutes without any sign of the food we had ordered.

Given the OPs original request Shepherd & Dog is a great call or, if you want to go upmarket, The Ginger Fox near Albourne is very good if a little pricey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here