Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I'll bite. Why won't it? If the majority vote for leave, surely the majority are dead against the EU. With Gove, Johnson and Farage's rhetoric, them as leaders of the country will try and fight the EU until the end. To what end? I guess it depends how much you believe the Express maybe?

If they have the mentality to invade why would you be a member?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
you do realise this is a vote for IN or OUT dont you?
this isnt a vote for Gove Johnson and Farage to be leaders of the country.

there was a wally on the radio recently saying he was voting remain because he didnt want farage running the country if we leave.
i wonder how many other wallies are out there not understanding how elections work

I was only playing the Daily Express game. What's the name of your high horse by the way? You're never off it. ;)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We will join the Euro and will take part in every aspect of EU membership. The UK will cease to be an independent country. We will be the 33rd state of the USofE.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

........and you can't get more factually accurate than that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Er, yes they have?!
Have you actually read or listened to anything the remain camp have said? The remain moto is "stronger, better off and safer" just for starters!

ooh a shiny slogan! i admit i've largely tuned out of both sides of the caustic "debate", no ones said anything new in weeks. if they are making a positive case rather than fear and doom i've missed it. maybe the problem is they spent so much energy on the fear anything else is lost.

and the same goes for leave, half the posters and arguments for leaving have me wanting to abstain as i really don't want to associate with them.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
........and you can't get more factually accurate than that.

I think that was an opinion about the likely future direction of the UK in the EU. It is not factually accurate but then the reverse scenarios are also not factually accurate. Everyone has to take a view this Thursday as nobody on either side has any facts about the future. Just worth bearing in mind that this may be the last opportunity for ordinary people to have a say before politicians resume control.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Honestly how so many of you have managed to get through life being so idiotic is beyond me.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
A mighty thread, so here's a simple argument that I have thought about. Imagine that the House of Commons and the House of Lords were inverted in their roles; so the House of Commons became a revising chamber without the power to either initiate nor repeal House Of Lords legislation. This would exactly mirror the structure of the EU. How would you feel about that? And furthermore, what would the manifestos of the parties entering the House of Commons be, given that they would not have the power of legislative initiative? Makes you think differently doesn't it? Vote Leave. Simple.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
image.jpeg

Computer says no.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
A mighty thread, so here's a simple argument that I have thought about. Imagine that the House of Commons and the House of Lords were inverted in their roles; so the House of Commons became a revising chamber without the power to either initiate nor repeal House Of Lords legislation. This would exactly mirror the structure of the EU. How would you feel about that? And furthermore, what would the manifestos of the parties entering the House of Commons be, given that they would not have the power of legislative initiative? Makes you think differently doesn't it? Vote Leave. Simple.

How does that mirror the exact structure of the EU? The HoL is unelected, unlike the European parliament.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

They say:

"Our honest intent was to accurately find the number of people who were genuinely likely to move to Britain."

But it wasn't though.

Their intent was to honestly find the number of people who would consider moving to Britain, in the event that Turkey joins the EU whilst Britain is a member, and then dishonestly say that all those who consider moving, would do so.

Absolute gutter press that serves only to inflame.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
you do realise this is a vote for IN or OUT dont you?
this isnt a vote for Gove Johnson and Farage to be leaders of the country.

there was a wally on the radio recently saying he was voting remain because he didnt want farage running the country if we leave.
i wonder how many other wallies are out there not understanding how elections work

There are probably plenty of wallies that are voting Brexit because they were told we spend £350m a week on the EU, or that on June 24th, 79m Turks will arrive on our doorstep. That's the system we have, the vote of the most intellectual is just as equal to that of the most ignorant, whichever way they are voting.

Like it or not, if there is a Brexit then there will almost certainly be a leadership challenge to Cameron and the likely candidates are Gove and Johnson. Two politicians who have previously slated the NHS who now seem intent on investing millions in it!!!! They will of course only be short term leaders whereas Brexit will almost certainly be forever, but there is an awful lot of damage that can be done in a very short space of time.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
How does that mirror the exact structure of the EU? The HoL is unelected, unlike the European parliament.

Um, I thought it was clear, obviously not. The EU executive structure is an inversion of the two houses of parliament in the UK. The European commission is unelected but has the sole prerogative of 'Legislative Initiative' in the EU. The European Parliament is elected, but is a revising chamber only with no power to repeal legislation. So what I am asking you to do is to imagine that were the case in the UK. The unelected House of Lords held the sole right to legislative intitiative and all the House of Commons could do was block or revise law. Now, that being the case, what would the manifestos be of the representative parties? Under what mandate would they be elected? Now translate that to your MEP...who is it? Do you know? Did you vote for them? What is their manifesto? Can they deliver it? The answer to all or most of these questions will be no, that's because they are irrelevant.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

There is no comparison but I assume you are trying to make reference to the unelected commissioners. Perhaps you might understand it better if you compare the commissioners to our own unelected civil service.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Um, I thought it was clear, obviously not. The EU executive structure is an inversion of the two houses of parliament in the UK. The European commission is unelected but has the sole prerogative of 'Legislative Initiative' in the EU. The European Parliament is elected, but is a revising chamber only with no power to repeal legislation. So what I am asking you to do is to imagine that were the case in the UK. The unelected House of Lords held the sole right to legislative initiative and all the House of Commons could do was block or revise law. Now, that being the case, what would the manifestos be of the representative parties? Under what mandate would they be elected? Now translate that to your MEP...who is it? Do you know? Did you vote for them? What is their manifesto? Can they deliver it? The answer to all or most of these questions will be no, that's because they are irrelevant.

How did you arrive at that. Commissioners are merely acting at the behest of the members states. They have to initiate legislation and prepare the legislation but it is the MEPs that vote it through.

As for knowing your MEP, you are aware that you have more than one?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here