Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, Labour brought it in. However, as I'm sure you're all aware, the minimum wage is only part of the equation for low income families, let's look at the increase in the personal allowance.

View attachment 81295

So, comparing the 'boom' years of Gordon "Prudence lol" Brown to the 'austerity' years of the Nasty Tories, the rate is nearly double in times of "severe hardship".

No doubt that's another lie by the evil right wingers.

Very sneaky. The rate nearly doubled under a mainly Liberal Tory Coalition. It will take a lot more than cooked books to demonstrate to me the Tories look after the poor, the disabled, the vulnerable and the low income.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I hope May replaces BJ soon, he's an embarrassment as our supposedly top diplomat, totally out of his depth and seems ill-equipped to build bridges which we'll need to get a reasonable exit deal

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
I hope May replaces BJ soon, he's an embarrassment as our supposedly top diplomat, totally out of his depth and seems ill-equipped to build bridges which we'll need to get a reasonable exit deal

Replace BJ for telling Hollande a few home truths,nah let him loose.Doing a grand job.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So are you saying the EU is totally self-sufficient,and doesn't import any foodstuffs?Bolox.The only contaminated food I can recall recently came from Hungary and Rumania (horse meat labelled as beef).We can import from the suppliers that are already in place,but without tariff.

No, I said your idea would wipe out agriculture and we would be totally dependent on imports, this is the opposite of totally self-sufficient, but in no way implies that we or anyone else need be, what is a good idea though is to retain the capability to be self sufficient, so that we can not be starved into submission by any hostile force with a naval capability.
The reason you have not experienced tainted foods from outside the EU, is because the EU blocks them, clearly it has been doing a good job of this. Importing from suppliers without tariff puts pressure on domestic agriculture, there is an argument for reducing the tariffs, but it has always been on the basis that it would be beneficial to the country we import from, and that this would aid development of those countries, and possibly reduce the desire for people from low economic areas to migrate illegally to the EU and the UK. It has never been seen as a move that would be of benefit to the EU financially, and it would be the same for us alone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Replace BJ for telling Hollande a few home truths,nah let him loose.Doing a grand job.

Are you not embarrassed that virtually any educated person I have come across, especially those outside the UK, thinks he's a bell-end who is out of his depth?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

From the Trump school of diplomacy. I hope and expect better from our Foreign Secretary. Any home truths that he feels necessary to spout, do in private, not with a megaphone

With the most important negotiations ever coming up for this country, we need to build bridges and relationships, not come up with ridiculous soundbites and shout them over the airwaves

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And to think I supported this man. Labour are dead to me.

Im pondering my next move. I was supposed to be at a British Labour Party meeting tonight (a founding member) but ducked out and am sitting in Brewdog. Not sure whether to stick and fight or, at the age of 48, give it up and concentrate more on my hobbies.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Im pondering my next move. I was supposed to be at a British Labour Party meeting tonight (a founding member) but ducked out and am sitting in Brewdog. Not sure whether to stick and fight or, at the age of 48, give it up and concentrate more on my hobbies.

Concentrate on your hobbies. Fighting The Labour Party's present course is like trying to chop down an oak tree with a carrot.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No, its not my take its the fact of why you farmer mate likes recruiting cheap foreign labour and why they are readily available.

Again you are offering up yet another set of unsubstantiated forecasts, current inflation remains at 1.6% and current interest rates set at 0.25%.

Unless you are predicting impending runaway infaltion rates and high interest rates, it seems a worthless excersise to try and determine future inflation and interest rates by the degree.

Righty-o, first I do not have a farmer mate, you must have confused me with someone else.

Secondly, I am not predicting massive rises in the costs of products, it is already happening. One of my major brands is now costing me roughly 15% more to import to the UK due to the currency fluctuations. Retail prices WILL rise, as inflation builds interest rates will rise too. Do take your head out of the sand.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Righty-o, first I do not have a farmer mate, you must have confused me with someone else.

Secondly, I am not predicting massive rises in the costs of products, it is already happening. One of my major brands is now costing me roughly 15% more to import to the UK due to the currency fluctuations. Retail prices WILL rise, as inflation builds interest rates will rise too. Do take your head out of the sand.

There isnt massive rises already happening, the inflation rate is 1.6%, that is fact, you can only cite massive rises on some typical unsubstantiated forecasts, retail prices might rise but to what extent you cannot possibly know, your view is flawed because something in your personal work has risen by 15%, without context it is hard to tell what exactly this means.

Stop blustering about the impending doom that you continually get wrong from pre referendum to today and perhaps acknowledge some very positive economic data currently on offer.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Not sure the costs will be massive but agree they will rise. They are however rising from historic low interest rates which were set in place to encourage spending and once that happened upward pressures were already in place. Interest rates will also rise as a payback will be required from whoever is in government in future years

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There isnt massive rises already happening, the inflation rate is 1.6%, that is fact, you can only cite massive rises on some typical unsubstantiated forecasts, retail prices might rise but to what extent you cannot possibly know, your view is flawed because something in your personal work has risen by 15%, without context it is hard to tell what exactly this means.

Stop blustering about the impending doom that you continually get wrong from pre referendum to today and perhaps acknowledge some very positive economic data currently on offer.

Apple products and apps have had fairly big price rices. Hardware around 10-15% and apps around 30%. Some craft beer prices have increased around 15% as well. It's happened. This is a fact.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Head out of sand, that really is what you need to do. Currency issues are not restricted to one product, or even one industry. To further compound the situation, all of these products need to be transported around the world, country, wherever and fuel ain't priced in pounds either. Current inflation is shown at 1.6%, but watch it rise month by month, most predictions reckon on three per cent by the end of this year, I will go out on a limb and say 5%. So that combined with interest rates around maybe 7% really will fxxk things up for many people. You need to start taking big, deep breaths of coffee aroma, get used to it, life is about to get a lot more expensive.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Apple products and apps have had fairly big price rices. Hardware around 10-15% and apps around 30%. Some craft beer prices have increased around 15% as well. It's happened. This is a fact.

Some will take advantage and just up prices anyway. Just don't buy them they will soon drop again

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Head out of sand, that really is what you need to do. Currency issues are not restricted to one product, or even one industry. To further compound the situation, all of these products need to be transported around the world, country, wherever and fuel ain't priced in pounds either. Current inflation is shown at 1.6%, but watch it rise month by month, most predictions reckon on three per cent by the end of this year, I will go out on a limb and say 5%. So that combined with interest rates around maybe 7% really will fxxk things up for many people. You need to start taking big, deep breaths of coffee aroma, get used to it, life is about to get a lot more expensive.

And let's not forget this 1.6 is an average. There will be some sectors and products with much higher rates. Equally some with lower though.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And to think I supported this man. Labour are dead to me.

Isn't the answer to switch to the Green Party then? I don't see a lot of difference in substance between the Greens and Corbyn's vision for Labour except for Brexit and the absence of anti-semitism. At least you'd be following a party with a competent leader.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here