Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor at it again

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interesting that you mention Leicester. I'm sure [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] can back this up too, there's a bit of history between them and Chelsea to the point that Chelsea sing about them... "We all follow the Chelsea over land and sea and Leicester..".
That's a joke isn't it? Loads of clubs used to sing "and Leicester"...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I like Naylor but don't know why he feels the need to have these digs at the fans. He did it the other day also with his article about Shane Duffy. It's unnecessary.

I have my suspicions that a large part of it goes back to his relationship with both Mark McGhee and Micky Adams and the animosity towards both men at the ends of their reign. I also think that he clearly doesn't have the confidence of anyone in Tony Bloom's inner circle and is an outsider at the club in a way that he never was under Dick Knight's tenure. Bloom is almost bullet-proof and so when he's pissed off with the club it's us fans who cop the flak.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That's a joke isn't it? Loads of clubs used to sing "and Leicester"...

Really? A Leicester STH who works with me has just said that he's only aware of Chelsea singing it. A quick google of their main board confirms that Chelsea are the only ones they are aware of singing it too.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I haven't read the whole thread, but at 50 odd I do love to beat BHA on the pitch. BUT if I was in a pub and there was a BHA fan, Man unt fan and a Chelsea fan , I would totally ignore the Chealsea and Man u fan but happily talk to the Brighton fan !! as I would feel we had more in common....

I actually hate Chelsea always have since the early 70s and its gotton worse, whenever I am in a pub and hear some cock say "come on Chels" I have to walk out.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
As I understand it, this was one of those passing rivalries, pre-Palace. I believe it stemmed from a season we were both vying for promotion to what is now the Championship and they "took" the north stand back in the days when there was no segregation and all you had to do was get there early enough to stand where you wanted.

Personally I find non-local rivalry a lot more interesting to be honest.

Luton hate Watford of course but there was apparently a lot of spite between Albion and Luton before they moved onto QPR in the 80s. I think Leicester and Portsmouth aren't best of friends and nor are Plymouth and Burnley.

Poor old Bournemouth though - nobody gives a toss about them. Nor Reading. I'm amazed they don't look at each other. Some sort "plucky tin pot" derby perhaps. Charlton are another side it's hard to care about in a negative way - certainly nobody else in South or East London does.

Oxford ??

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I like Naylor but don't know why he feels the need to have these digs at the fans. He did it the other day also with his article about Shane Duffy. It's unnecessary.

How is it a dig at the fans? He's giving his opinion on a subject – an opinion that some FANS here happen to agree with!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I haven't read the whole thread, but at 50 odd I do love to beat BHA on the pitch. BUT if I was in a pub and there was a BHA fan, Man unt fan and a Chelsea fan , I would totally ignore the Chealsea and Man u fan but happily talk to the Brighton fan !! as I would feel we had more in common....

I actually hate Chelsea always have since the early 70s and its gotton worse, whenever I am in a pub and hear some cock say "come on Chels" I have to walk out.

Despite being name checked on various Nigel boards as someone they don't like very much, I very much agree with you. I have plenty of Palace fans as friends seeing as I live in the area, and they are all far better to talk football than the armchair billy big club twàts you have to put up with in the office who have never even been to a game. Oh and you're spot on with regard to "Chels". :nono:

Oxford ??
Nope. All about Swindon for Oxford. And that one is very much reciprocated. They really don't care about Reading.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Oxford ??

Oxford more have their sights set upon Swindon Town, as witnessed on the way back from Preston on Saturday.

Even two relatively 'meh' clubs like Oxford and Swindon can't be arsed with a rivalry with Reading.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

That article about Duffy should have been written in the first couple of weeks he played for us when he was settling down. Of course some impatient fools on NSC said some stupid stuff but pretty much everyone since has been full of praise for him. Now that's a manufactured article!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Reading have a long historic rivalry with Aldershot.

Really? If Aldershot is the best Reading can muster for a rivalry, I'm wondering why they're bothering now.

Simster's right - they should artificially manufacture a rivalry with Bournemouth.

'The Plastic Derby'

'The Derby of Ennui'

'The Derby of Dunkin Donuts'

The David Bobin Derby'.

ZZZZ...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

This. I spent all day with a colleague at a course today and he's one of you losers lol! However he's a great bloke lacking entirely the false bluster the internet musters and I almost feel sorry for him.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Really? If Aldershot is the best Reading can muster for a rivalry, I'm wondering why they're bothering now.

Simster's right - they should artificially manufacture a rivalry with Bournemouth.

'The Plastic Derby'

'The Derby of Ennui'

'The Derby of Dunkin Donuts'

The David Bobin Derby'.

ZZZZ...

They're local to each other, the history goes back a long way and is real to them. I'm not sure what point you're making. Brighton and Palace are hardly high-profile clubs and I can't think of too many neutrals who give a stuff about it but it doesn't diminish the rivalry in any way.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really? A Leicester STH who works with me has just said that he's only aware of Chelsea singing it. A quick google of their main board confirms that Chelsea are the only ones they are aware of singing it too.
Nope. I went to Southampton v Coventry in the mid 80s where Coventry were singing it (and Leicester isn't their big one, they prefer to beat Villa)

Also:

Arsenal: http://www.onlinegooner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9854

Charlton: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/43995/well-all-follow-the-charlton

There are probably others...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nope. I went to Southampton v Coventry in the mid 80s where Coventry were singing it (and Leicester isn't their big one, they prefer to beat Villa)

Also:

Arsenal: http://www.onlinegooner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9854

Charlton: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/43995/well-all-follow-the-charlton

There are probably others...

Fair enough, although it does seem that a lot of Leicester fans are only aware of the Chelsea fans singing it...as this thread attests

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/33747-why-do-chelsea-sing-over-land-and-sea-and-leicester/

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Naylor's article was a comparison of Stephen's attitude compared to that of Payet, which everyone seems to be ignoring. The overall tone of the article was pro Stephens.

AN has to fill space on the back pages of the Argus, and does it pretty well on the whole IMO. Rmember, if it disappears, all we will have is Timmy's drivel, which is a scary thought.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Naylor's article was a comparison of Stephen's attitude compared to that of Payet, which everyone seems to be ignoring. The overall tone of the article was pro Stephens.

AN has to fill space on the back pages of the Argus, and does it pretty well on the whole IMO. Rmember, if it disappears, all we will have is Timmy's drivel, which is a scary thought.

And some DULLARD on the radio who CLAIMS to be a FAN but has an OBSESSION with SMALL clubs like Crystal Palace

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
And some DULLARD on the radio who CLAIMS to be a FAN but has an OBSESSION with SMALL clubs like Crystal Palace

Shoehorning Palace are 'small club' 'in and out of administration' and 'relegation candidates' into a radio interview about Newport and Wrexham on Radio Wales is the work of a warped mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here