Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help with a photo

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I've sailed to the Solent from Brighton, Newhaven and Shoreham hundreds of times and back in all sorts of boats for the past fifty years. If that is not the Isle of Wight and Portsdown Hill then my navigation is shit, because this is the view you get as you get closer, only from sea level obviously.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
St Bartholemews appears to be to the south-west of the station (as well as the correct position). Is this an illusion or am I mistaking it for another church ?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
St Bartholemews appears to be to the south-west of the station (as well as the correct position). Is this an illusion or am I mistaking it for another church ?

It's St Michael's and All Angels Church on the corner of Powis Road and Victoria Road.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I can never believe the whole 'can you see the Isle of Wight from brighton?' is actually still a 'thing'. Of course you can. Some days it looks massive, others you can barely see it at all.

Can we all please move onto 'can you see the needles from brighton?' which my mate claims you can but I think they're on the wrong side of the island to be seen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I spent the best part of 20 years living in the house deemed to be the 6th highest point of Portslade, and saw the Isle of Wight several times on a good clear day, so I know what it looks like. It doesn't look like this I'm afraid.

:fishing:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What the hell? Some people actually don't think that's the Isle of Wight? It can be seen clear as day 2 - 3 days a week on my drive to work up Falmer Hill. Yes it's 40 miles away but it's high up, as are you the viewer.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The little one looks a bit like Guernsey. Perhaps the big one is Jersey? Though it's shape is more reminiscent of Bali. Seems unlikely though; Bali's a bit further away if you're looking West, I'd have thought it was over the horizon.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I've seen that view many times on a clear day. I'm pretty sure it is the IOW. That is why the roads off Elm Grove are named after places such as Sandown, Ryde, Totland etc.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I saw this post on Facebook too. It's a telephoto lens taking the photo. So you wouldn't see it anything like that with the naked eye. It was an extremely clear day.

Definitely the Isle of Wight.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This is not a trick/false picture it is down to the atmospheric conditions. It was taken with a pentax dslr using a 40 year old pentax lens.

I originally thought it was the cliff/hill at the back of portsmouth but when I drove past that a while back it did not big enough or white enough however I will take advice from others on here e.g. skipper who see to have a good feel for the geography.

I attach a similar photo taken on the same day....This was left in its natural state e.g. the greyish round circles/smudges are crap on the cameras CCD. Who will be the first to spot Butlins!

iow1.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This is not a trick/false picture it is down to the atmospheric conditions. It was taken with a pentax dslr using a 40 year old pentax lens.

I originally thought it was the cliff/hill at the back of portsmouth but when I drove past that a while back it did not big enough or white enough however I will take advice from others on here e.g. skipper who see to have a good feel for the geography.

I attach a similar photo taken on the same day....This was left in its natural state e.g. the greyish round circles/smudges are crap on the cameras CCD. Who will be the first to spot Butlins!

View attachment 79632

Did you take the photo on Saturday morning by any chance?

Because on Saturday morning I saw two shapes on the horizon just like in your 1st photo, but I saw them from the West Hill in Hastings! The sky was this exact same colour too.

It had me confused as I've never seen them before. I put it down to cloud formation in the end but they looked uncannily like land masses.

Surely it's not possible to see the IOW from Hastings!? I'm intrigued now though. Anyone any ideas?

Edit: Thought I was being a bit thick. Sure enough a quick glance at a map confirms that it would be impossible to see IOW because beachy head is in the way :wrong:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here