Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Withdean Rocket Man

el punal

Was the famous rocketeer responsible for Sidwell's worldie last night? According to posts on Bristol City's fans forum (OTIB) O'Donnell was distracted by the evening's first exploding fireworks behind the Atyeo stand and lost track of the ball. Some Guy eh! :cool:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The Withdean Rocket man added to the fun of the Withdean days which is a big part in our history I had a season ticket at Gillingham but I was so pleased to get back to Brighton it was a shame it took to long to build The Amex thank you Norman Baker.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The Withdean Rocket man added to the fun of the Withdean days which is a big part in our history I had a season ticket at Gillingham but I was so pleased to get back to Brighton it was a shame it took to long to build The Amex thank you Norman Baker.

According to the fans forum yesterday it was a rocket woman. Wife of a ST holder.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Did Rocket Man(/Woman) ever break cover in the end? True Albion Legend back in the day. If memory serves, he/she retired the day one of their rockets fell short and dropped into the South Stand. Pretty sure my mate Robbie said at the time it had gone down the back of his neck. There was a photo in the Argus.

My favourite Rocket Man story is from an evening match when we played Cardiff at Withdean. Cardiff had brought a large, vocal and not particularly pleasant contingent. The Albion scored earlydoors. At which point the place erupted and something landed on the cycle track in front of H Block. 'Shiiiit!' screamed somebody in H Block (possibly the Withdean Screamer) 'Cardiff are firing ARROWS at us!! :eek:' They weren't. It was The Stick That Fell To Earth from Rocket Man's firework celebration :lolol:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Did Rocket Man(/Woman) ever break cover in the end? True Albion Legend back in the day. If memory serves, he/she retired the day one of their rockets fell short and dropped into the South Stand. Pretty sure my mate Robbie said at the time it had gone down the back of his neck. There was a photo in the Argus.

My favourite Rocket Man story is from an evening match when we played Cardiff at Withdean. Cardiff had brought a large, vocal and not particularly pleasant contingent. The Albion scored earlydoors. At which point the place erupted and something landed on the cycle track in front of H Block. 'Shiiiit!' screamed somebody in H Block (possibly the Withdean Screamer) 'Cardiff are firing ARROWS at us!! :eek:' They weren't. It was The Stick That Fell To Earth from Rocket Man's firework celebration :lolol:
he should of used mortar fireworks like the ones used to signal the walk out of the goldstone during the protest.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

It's in DK's book. The pyrotechnics were coming from the person's back garden, so they had no need to 'break cover', as they were at home.

The rocket did land near Robbie, but it landed at his feet in block E, still alight. He had to jump up and stamp on it.
[MENTION=1430]brighton _boy[/MENTION].

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's in DK's book. The pyrotechnics were coming from the person's back garden, so they had no need to 'break cover', as they were at home.

The rocket did land near Robbie, but it landed at his feet in block E, still alight. He had to jump up and stamp on it.
[MENTION=1430]brighton _boy[/MENTION].

Cheers for confirming that at least some of my memory cells remain intact after all this time :thumbsup:

By 'break cover' I meant did they ever publicly own up to doing it? Would be brilliant to hear his/her reminiscences.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Cheers for confirming that at least some of my memory cells remain intact after all this time :thumbsup:

By 'break cover' I meant did they ever publicly own up to doing it? Would be brilliant to hear his/her reminiscences.

Not that I know of.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
One almost missed Tony Rougier the time he scored two goals and was celebrating in front of the south stand after the match.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
he should of used mortar fireworks like the ones used to signal the walk out of the goldstone during the protest.

You can't easily get maroons anymore. The British Legion here wanted one for Remembrance Sunday but they either sent someone on a £1,500 'firework safety' course (?) or settled for a £25 rocket which, frankly, is just as effective. I know 'cos they did a trial rocket test! (in any case I think that the lifeboat people rely upon pagers and mobile phones these days)

I'd love to know who 'rocket man' is. I always thought that his (or hers?) efforts was one of the best things at Withdean. There were the natives complaining about everything in sight and there was one of 'em celebrating each goal. Great fun - worth checking Dick Knight's book for the details...

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
According to the fans forum yesterday it was a rocket woman. Wife of a ST holder.

That's not right. HE wasn't a season ticket holder, and he got his brother to cover for him if he was ever away.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Ah bit of nostalgia on a Monday morning. Not quite as legendary but does anyone remember the Withdean screamer?

Steve5000

Jan 20, 2014
Rocket man launched his rockets from his house in with withdean crescent, it started because his youngest daughter was a big football fan so they used to do it together. He had to stop because a couple of the rockets hit cars and he was in danger of getting sued, he moved last year and now lives in central Brighton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Rocket man launched his rockets from his house in with withdean crescent, it started because his youngest daughter was a big football fan so they used to do it together. He had to stop because a couple of the rockets hit cars and he was in danger of getting sued, he moved last year and now lives in central Brighton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And how is your new property in Central Brighton?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here