Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House prices to rise 50% in next 10 years, London to double...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
And there's the problem with Brighton. There is, practically, nowhere left to build apart from green belt.

I see that as an advantage. Our town can only grow as a semi circle as the sea is to the South. The semi circle cannot spread onto the Beautiful Downs as it is a National Park reserved for Fracking opportunity. The council are looking to the skies. The beach and countryside will remain. Mayfields have plans for a town from Henfield to the A23.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We should take a leaf outta chinas book, build huge tower blocks, I don't mind living in an apartment

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We should take a leaf outta chinas book, build huge tower blocks, I don't mind living in an apartment

I think this would've happened if it wasn't for those who're lucky enough to have homes bitching and moaning about it. That's why it IS happening at the Marina, as there's no-one living close enough that the bitchers and moaners need to be listened to.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its not a unique Chinese method, apparently most of european cities live in higher density than we do in. we typically go to 4-5 stories while the french will go to 8-9. we like our high rises low and our urban areas green.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think this would've happened if it wasn't for those who're lucky enough to have homes bitching and moaning about it. That's why it IS happening at the Marina, as there's no-one living close enough that the bitchers and moaners need to be listened to.

It IS happening at the Marina because 853 flats on the seafront will go for a premium while not addressing Brighton's Housing need.
brighton-marina.com

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
For anyone savvy with these possible rises, please feel free to offer your two cents.

I'm a young potential first time buyer.

I've got a mortgage agreement in principal with my bank which is approx £140k.
I've got the deposit required.

Should I pretty much go out and find something ASAP?
If yes to the above, would you advise getting the best I can in Brighton & Hove or get something a little bigger/nicer further out towards (or in) Worthing?

Cheers!

Sadly, I'm not sure you can get much for 140k in Brighton anymore. I'd be inclined to get a better place in Worthing. It's quite possible buying in Worthing now will be a canny move, as Brighton becomes less and less affordable.
Always worth remembering that property is a volatile market - I bought in 2007 just before the crash. At that stage it had been up up up for years, then it all changed. I was in negative equity for a long time. Whatever you read, it's not a guaranteed money maker.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Boris Johnson more likely than Corbyn. Really makes me worry about the British public.

It's about an even money shot whether Corbyn will even be Labour leader at the next GE. If you put that in double (which they won't let you) with Osbourne to be next Tory leader it pays about 100/30* i.e there's only a 23% chance of these two going to post in 2020. If you were to price that up as match they'd probably go:

Osbourne 30/100
Corbyn 11/4

*I've not allowed for the possibility that Cameron will contest the next election.

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Sadly, I'm not sure you can get much for 140k in Brighton anymore. I'd be inclined to get a better place in Worthing. It's quite possible buying in Worthing now will be a canny move, as Brighton becomes less and less affordable.
Always worth remembering that property is a volatile market - I bought in 2007 just before the crash. At that stage it had been up up up for years, then it all changed. I was in negative equity for a long time. Whatever you read, it's not a guaranteed money maker.

To get something half decent for £140k you will, probably, need to go as far as Littlehampton / Bognor

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It's a real shit state of affairs. I really do feel for folk like your son.

Spare me the crocodile tears you hypocrit, your one of a number who like patting people on the head with one hand as you wave in more and more immigrants with the other and hope people dont notice..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For anyone savvy with these possible rises, please feel free to offer your two cents.

I'm a young potential first time buyer.

I've got a mortgage agreement in principal with my bank which is approx £140k.
I've got the deposit required.

Should I pretty much go out and find something ASAP?
If yes to the above, would you advise getting the best I can in Brighton & Hove or get something a little bigger/nicer further out towards (or in) Worthing?

Cheers!

While the internet is an amazing tool, you can't beat a really good local agent who's been around for a long time. I've bought in slightly unfashionable areas, often a property that needs a bit of work, or a bit of imagination to make it work better. Try somewhere like Cales and Co on Boundary Road. It's been the same 3 agents, Steve, Matt and Peter selling properties for decades in the same area and respond to what you want, not just try to flog you anything. Portslade still offers a bit of value compared to Brighton and Hove without moving to far out. Worthing has some lovely properties too. It is a tough market, just got to be in the right place right time to get a good deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here