Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

School in Lewes bans girls from wearing skirts in new PC drive

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
The actual problem is one of girls rolling their skirts up to make them shorter. Parents will send them out with the correct skirt then half way down the road they'll get rolled up. Same in school, teacher in class 1 will tell them to roll skirts down, walking to class 2 skirts rolled up again, teacher in class 2 tells them to roll them down again, break they get rolled up again, etc, etc. It isn't just a few it is quite a lot. Trousers just eradicate what is a tiresome issue.

This. My niece does exactly that and tells me most of the girls in her year do the same. They put pressure on each other to go as short as they can. She's just turned 12 ffs ...... put an end to such shenanigans by making them wear trousers I say. Good on the school for having the guts to actually do something constructive about it.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I have just finished a biggish job at a primary school in Seaford. They've just had an extension done with new classrooms etc.
They didn't install boys and girls toilets. There was just one toilet block (unisex)
Cubicles, no urinals. I asked the head what all that was about. I asked where are the boys toilets. She said they are gender neutral toilets, and that they have transgender and non binary children they must cater for.
Couldn't believe it.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
WTF happened to freedom of choice? Shutting down the voice of reason and true diversity. Accept that male and female exist, accept that it manifests itself in many ways and stop f***ing around with freedom of choice FFS. This is the type of school that would watch a child burn in the sun rather than apply sun cream, because of 'safeguarding'. C***s.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Must admit that some of the skirts worn by youngsters on my bus are enough to make me blush.

I love a bit of leg but this is just wrong with the age of these kids. Trousers seem a sensible choice.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, not at all. You've missed the deeper point I'm trying to make. Transgendered pupils can be male to female, or female to male. So why are they forcing a historically male item of clothing on all pupils in order to cater to only one kind of transgender person, rather than trying to accommodate both types.

And, as a deeper point, which is an extension of this, why have we as a society got to a stage where no one bats an eyelid when a woman wears a historically male item of clothing, yet if a male wears a historically female item of clothing, they get a load of abuse for it?

Both points are intrinsically linked... although I suspect such thinking may be a little deep for you.

Very good.
The reason they are all wearing trousers is because some girls wear their skirts too short and they can't seem to stop them. So putting everyone in skirts wouldn't really solve the problem, would it.
Whilst deep thinking can be appropriate at times, in this instance it seems to have lead you down the wrong path.
It's not as complicated as you seem to think.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
From the Telegraph atricle on the same:

Explaining why he brought in the uniform change, headteacher Mr Smith said: "Pupils have been saying why do boys have to where ties and girls don't, and girls have different uniform to boys.

"So we decided to have the same uniform for everybody from Year 7. Another issue was that we have a small but increasing number of transgender students and therefore having the same uniform is important for them."

Speaking about concerns raised by parents over how skirts were being worn, he said: "We know the current uniform is not necessarily worn as respectfully as it should be.

"There were problems with decency and a number of issues raised by people in the community about how students were wearing uniform."

Is [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] the Telegraph's proof reader?

Girls have worn skirts for years. I'm afraid it just more lefty PC bollocks and we all know it. Things where OK as they where.

See me.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Girls have worn skirts for years. I'm afraid it just more lefty PC bollocks and we all know it. Things where OK as they where.

Agreed

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
From the Telegraph atricle on the same:

Another issue was that we have a small but increasing number of attention seeking students and parents and it has become apparent the majority of normal kids should have to bow to the perceived needs of the minority.

Edited for accuracy.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If I was a tranny kid I'd have loved to wear a short skirt to show off my shapely shaved legs!!!!

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
I think many people on here seem to have grasped the wrong end of a stick here concerning gender neutrality. In a recent BBC documentary they posed the question is the way we treat boys and girls in childhood the real reason we still haven't achieved true equality between men and women in adult life? And could stripping away the pink and blue - and the other more subtle ways that boys and girls are shaped to be different - be the way to raise kids with abilities and attitudes that are the same regardless of their gender? They took over a class of seven year-olds from Lanesend School on the Isle of Wight, stripping away pink, blue and other less obvious manifestations of traditional gender roles from the class room. At the beginning of episode one, the children underwent psychometric tests to assess their perception of sex and gender. It was shocking that despite their young age many of the pupils already perceive a significant difference between the two sexes. Every girl but one said they believed boys are ‘better’ than them, with one girl Tiffany commenting “men are better at being in charge” and another Kara explaining “girls are better at being pretty”. Clearly that is not the case and at the end of the experiment it was fascinating to see how the girls and boys perceptions had radically changed.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think many people on here seem to have grasped the wrong end of a stick here concerning gender neutrality. In a recent BBC documentary they posed the question is the way we treat boys and girls in childhood the real reason we still haven't achieved true equality between men and women in adult life? And could stripping away the pink and blue - and the other more subtle ways that boys and girls are shaped to be different - be the way to raise kids with abilities and attitudes that are the same regardless of their gender? They took over a class of seven year-olds from Lanesend School on the Isle of Wight, stripping away pink, blue and other less obvious manifestations of traditional gender roles from the class room. At the beginning of episode one, the children underwent psychometric tests to assess their perception of sex and gender. It was shocking that despite their young age many of the pupils already perceive a significant difference between the two sexes. Every girl but one said they believed boys are ‘better’ than them, with one girl Tiffany commenting “men are better at being in charge” and another Kara explaining “girls are better at being pretty”. Clearly that is not the case and at the end of the experiment it was fascinating to see how the girls and boys perceptions had radically changed.

That's true though.

Men make better leaders and women make better super models.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Could you supply some empirical evidence that men make better leaders?

I can.

It's called history. Sure there's been some decent female leaders and some terrible male leaders throughout history but overall men have lead humanity from the dark ages to the technologically advanced world we live in today.

We're talking about the %'s not in absolutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here