Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know the rule is a measured course and official time but I unofficially broke my half marathon PB this morning. Went out a bit later than planned (7am, still early) as our football was off and ran to Lancing Beach and back so I had the wind behind me on the way home, taking in Old Shoreham Road and the path by the Adur till I got to the flooded bit. Saw a fair few runners but it wasn't the M25 that Hove seafront would have been,

Coach's run was a progression run with a 2 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down. Warm up and cool down strictly easy. I came in at 20 seconds over 2 hours. Miles one and two were well withing myself, mile 12 was tortuous but a little faster than strictly steady (shhh please [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] ) and I would have gone faster in the end at a race. If I knock 3 mins off for the warm up and one for the cool down that would take me to 1hr 56 before any race "boost" or use of pacer. Well pleased with that.

Legs are a touch stiff now. Since I broke my no alcohol rule yesterday at the game I might have a glass of wine with my roast. In fact I think I'm saving total temperance for March and April and will have the occasional small drink between now and then.

https://www.strava.com/activities/477087154

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Yes great conditions and delighted to set a new 5k pb of 20:21. Kept up with the 20 min pacer until half way and then just tried to keep going. The pacer finished in 19:44 so no wonder I could n't keep up. Well done [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and Mrs simgull as well of course. Had a bit of a panic at the end when I was convinced I had not collected a finish token only to find it in my glove - must have been in shock crossing the line.
Well done everyone else -sounds good all round- [MENTION=592]Albion Robster[/MENTION] were you wearing a blue BHA training top? Will say hello next time.

Yes, that was me.

Agreed, the 20 min pacer really put down the hammer in the last 1km. I struggled to keep pace with him in that last kilometre...managed to crawl in at 19:52. Very happy with the time. Challenge completed!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know the rule is a measured course and official time but I unofficially broke my half marathon PB this morning. Went out a bit later than planned (7am, still early) as our football was off and ran to Lancing Beach and back so I had the wind behind me on the way home, taking in Old Shoreham Road and the path by the Adur till I got to the flooded bit. Saw a fair few runners but it wasn't the M25 that Hove seafront would have been,

Coach's run was a progression run with a 2 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down. Warm up and cool down strictly easy. I came in at 20 seconds over 2 hours. Miles one and two were well withing myself, mile 12 was tortuous but a little faster than strictly steady (shhh please [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] ) and I would have gone faster in the end at a race. If I knock 3 mins off for the warm up and one for the cool down that would take me to 1hr 56 before any race "boost" or use of pacer. Well pleased with that.

Legs are a touch stiff now. Since I broke my no alcohol rule yesterday at the game I might have a glass of wine with my roast. In fact I think I'm saving total temperance for March and April and will have the occasional small drink between now and then.

https://www.strava.com/activities/477087154

Haha, secret is safe with me (or it would be, if you hadn't posted it on Strava where coach-Nazi will spot it)

Couldn't do planned marathon today due to my nursing duties but managed to grab a couple of hours this afternoon and tried to run at (dream) marathon pace. Held on pretty well so quite pleased, had plenty in the tank when I finished.

https://www.strava.com/activities/477465516

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Read about this Hove Parkrunner on their Facebook page this week. Didn't know who this young 86 year old was. Today I saw him running on Hove Seafront and realised I did know him. 29:09 is his 10k pb.
http://www.runbrighton.com/stories-and-interviews/hugh-73-years-of-running/

Astonishing. I recall his name being quite near the top of results lists in the late 80s early 90s - and he must have been well into his veteran years then. A true inspiration - and makes me even more ashamed on my decision to drop out of the Worthing HM made today after a lousy 8 miler his morning!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Astonishing. I recall his name being quite near the top of results lists in the late 80s early 90s - and he must have been well into his veteran years then. A true inspiration - and makes me even more ashamed on my decision to drop out of the Worthing HM made today after a lousy 8 miler his morning!

47" was his latest run in 2015. Thing is on AG grading that was pretty average!
As to the half marathon, if your not injured, you need to man up. A DNS is worse than a DNF and an 8 miler today is enough for a half in 3 weeks time. You know you can do it.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
My target is 3:40 for London this year- using the classic 1.06*t*d1/d2 formula that would put me at 3:43 so a bit to go before 3:30 is in range. As usual though first target is to start , then to finish, thirdly finish with a smile on my face and fourthly hit target time.

Sensible and achievable targets. Good running today, I'm somewhat behind in my training still haven't gone above 12 as yet. Wanted to get out today as perfect conditions but lack of time meant I ran 5 as a recovery run, hoping to get out early tomorrow before work.

Realised I'm pretty shit at recovery runs first 3 miles just under 7's so fine but last two at 6:20's I think I must get bored.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sensible and achievable targets. Good running today, I'm somewhat behind in my training still haven't gone above 12 as yet. Wanted to get out today as perfect conditions but lack of time meant I ran 5 as a recovery run, hoping to get out early tomorrow before work.

Realised I'm pretty shit at recovery runs first 3 miles just under 7's so fine but last two at 6:20's I think I must get bored.

Sub 7 recovery runs. LOL [emoji3]

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Sub 7 recovery runs. LOL [emoji3]

Ended up clocking 33:33 for 5 miles, probably better of resting today as really want to get out early doors tomorrow to get 12 minimum ideally 13 or 14 before work.

I'm officially retiring from recovery runs, I've always found them difficult and this just proves they are not for me.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Behind in training? I reckon you'll be alright... 😉

Sounds like some pretty decent NSC runs today - well done chaps.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Some serious NSC running going on. Over four hours and 30 miles in the legs last week, nowhere near the top 3 on the strava group!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I visited the NSC recommended ( [MENTION=338]smudge[/MENTION] ) sports injury chap at Coral over the weekend. He's very good isn't he?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
47" was his latest run in 2015. Thing is on AG grading that was pretty average!
As to the half marathon, if your not injured, you need to man up. A DNS is worse than a DNF and an 8 miler today is enough for a half in 3 weeks time. You know you can do it.

Cheers: in many ways just what I needed to hear as I have wimpish tendencies, but a more powerful voice is my body saying that 'this will do you no good'. Knees and Achilles are whining in harmony and the decision is precautionary and pre-emptive. Just about everyone on this thread will get to the point where they succumb to the inevitable and stop competing altogether. So I'm trying to prolong my running career by dropping the longer runs (anything over 10K) in the hope that I can keep competing longer. (Others might drop the short, faster stuff for the same reason.)
I'll feel gutted on the day as I'll be going along to support a mate. But good luck to all on the thread who are putting in heroic training for upcoming (and horribly long) events.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers: in many ways just what I needed to hear as I have wimpish tendencies, but a more powerful voice is my body saying that 'this will do you no good'. Knees and Achilles are whining in harmony and the decision is precautionary and pre-emptive. Just about everyone on this thread will get to the point where they succumb to the inevitable and stop competing altogether. So I'm trying to prolong my running career by dropping the longer runs (anything over 10K) in the hope that I can keep competing longer. (Others might drop the short, faster stuff for the same reason.)
I'll feel gutted on the day as I'll be going along to support a mate. But good luck to all on the thread who are putting in heroic training for upcoming (and horribly long) events.

I agree with you. All of us have different bodies to ruin and each have ruined them with different training plans. Although it sounds like you need rest now what you describe is what happens to me if training consistently at near anaerobic and anaerobic levels. So I don't. 9"-10" pace and high mileage weeks is my 10 week plan. Endurance training.
Also sounds like you need to be pulled around by Jesus or someone to get that tightness out. Tight calves give Achilles problems and for dodgy knees get on the floor face down and bring the ankle up to the buttock moving stomach towards head.
You probably know this but I want you at peak fitness for the summer showdown! Good luck and certainly rest if legs are not right.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I agree with you. All of us have different bodies to ruin and each have ruined them with different training plans. Although it sounds like you need rest now what you describe is what happens to me if training consistently at near anaerobic and anaerobic levels. So I don't. 9"-10" pace and high mileage weeks is my 10 week plan. Endurance training.
Also sounds like you need to be pulled around by Jesus or someone to get that tightness out. Tight calves give Achilles problems and for dodgy knees get on the floor face down and bring the ankle up to the buttock moving stomach towards head.
You probably know this but I want you at peak fitness for the summer showdown! Good luck and certainly rest if legs are not right.

We're all very different and at. ahem, our ages we need careful management (bit like BZ I guess). I know I have some kind of weekly mileage threshold, over which injuries will start to happen (somewhere around 60ish), but I've also found it's almost always the shorter, faster runs that cause injuries for me. The strengthening and conditioning you get from long, slow runs offroad do, I think, help massively with injury prevention. Was interesting for me last year to follow a programme geared to a 100 mile race where almost all of the long runs were offroad. Managed to go 6 months without basically a niggle. It was only in the autumn, when I started increasing the relative % of road and speed work that I started picking up niggles again.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
First run of the year yesterday afternoon - a little overdue, but better late than never.

5.5 miles in 50 minutes.
Not too disappointed, just under 10 minute miles. Will bring that down to 40 minutes by Easter time.

14 lbs gained between November and January, will get rid of that pronto!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
First run of the year for me as well this weekend. Tentative one to see if exercises to sort out ITBS have worked, seems as though they have, looking forward to getting going again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here