Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Morning chaps.

Out with jnr yesterday and he's still oddly scared about descending.

I've ignored it for a while but it's getting out of hand now.

It never was a problem for him on a bike I would have been pooh scared about flying down a hill on, his crappy Carrera with knackered tyres.
But now on his 'fast' bike he descends almost with full brake, to the point that I genuinely believe he can go up hills quicker than come down then (but that's another story).

Any tips on helping him overcome this would be greatly appreciated.

Try and find a quiet local hill to practice on. Should build up his confidence, failing that you could always remove his brake blocks. :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Show him clips of Mohoric, Nibs and Alaphillipe descending. Tell him if he's not on their level by this time next month, you're taking his bike away for good and he can go and sit on the naughty step with Wiggins, Pinot and Ciccone :thumbsup:

Oh... and don't show him this picture at any point during the conversation :wink:

View attachment 97305

Just a scratch.

He was chuntering on about one wrong move and he'd be dead, the happy soul.
Later in the ride I got him to attack the 'Ford Sign sprint point', (flat) naturally he loved it.
"I was going over 25mph", massive grin across his face.

So I wondered how he could rationalize that yet be scared of going slower downhill.

No answer.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's surely got to do with bike fit though hasn't it?, if he hasn't had a crash that's knocked his confidence.

He obviously felt really comfortable on the Carerra. I'd say the reach to the brakes, especially for young small hands is crucial, and the angle and depth of the drops. Could you not take the exact same handlebars from his old Carerra and put them on his current bike?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Try and find a quiet local hill to practice on. Should build up his confidence, failing that you could always remove his brake blocks. :)

Now why would you say that to me.
That is the only logical answer.

He used to fly down Arundel hill, on the front.
The time as a 9 year old descending the northern face of Ditchling Beacon he was so poised on the bike (my bibs were lumpy, and not good lumpy :lol:)
Yet now he just doesn't want to know.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's surely got to do with bike fit though hasn't it?, if he hasn't had a crash that's knocked his confidence.

He obviously felt really comfortable on the Carerra. I'd say the reach to the brakes, especially for young small hands is crucial, and the angle and depth of the drops. Could you not take the exact same handlebars from his old Carerra and put them on his current bike?
Thanks I'll look at that, he's growing daily and I was thinking yesterday he needs another rejig on his bike.

I could have borrowed the worlds shortest handlebar stem when we built the bike, got a 'well ummm you sure' type answer so I didn't push it, I might have another go now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] you'll enjoy this.

We rode over to Goodwood yesterday, going up Sculptures, he'd never been before.
On the way I told him about the time me and Phil raced up there (a long time ago)
Explaining the climb and how it suited both of us on the different sections.

Everything went to plan.

Jnr shot off like a scalded cat with 0% body fat, constantly looking back to see the distance he gained.
I slowly reeled him in.
Then blasted past him with 'quad power' as the gradient eased.
In order to humiliate him further I did 3 further attacks on the lesser gradient, never looking back.

A couple of hundred yards from the top I allowed myself a cheeky grin and the devastation I caused, only to hear him change gear.

I had to sprint to the top just to beat the little shit :lol:
Had he not changed gear he'd have won and I would have thrown my bike into the hedge and walked home.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Hey [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] you'll enjoy this.

We rode over to Goodwood yesterday, going up Sculptures, he'd never been before.
On the way I told him about the time me and Phil raced up there (a long time ago)
Explaining the climb and how it suited both of us on the different sections.

Everything went to plan.

Jnr shot off like a scalded cat with 0% body fat, constantly looking back to see the distance he gained.
I slowly reeled him in.
Then blasted past him with 'quad power' as the gradient eased.
In order to humiliate him further I did 3 further attacks on the lesser gradient, never looking back.

A couple of hundred yards from the top I allowed myself a cheeky grin and the devastation I caused, only to hear him change gear.

I had to sprint to the top just to beat the little shit :lol:
Had he not changed gear he'd have won and I would have thrown my bike into the hedge and walked home.

That's lovely dad and lad stuff.

Ignore the descending, he'll snap out of it.

Whenever I hear the expression 'christ on a bike' my reaction is going to be "oh, you know Tom G then?".

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Can someone PLEASE get G a pair of stabilisers for Xmas this year...
Impressive that he only lost 21 seconds... He must have been really going some for the rest of the TT.

Just seen the replay, looks like G overcooked it going into the corner.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you had to bet your life savings on just one rider crashing today, every cycling fans money would surely be going on G.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Question: Cramps and hot weather?

Is it quite common to suffer more cramps in hot weather, even when drinking plenty of fluids?

Another club ride today in hot weather, and again the odd cramp twinge towards the end when I've not had cramps all Winter on even longer and hillier rides than this. Drank loads of fluids all the way around as well, and the usual high 5 zero tab thingies in the bidons.

Anyone else get this in hot weather, or does the heat just really not agree with me? I'm determined this year to try to ride all through the Summer for the first time.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Is it quite common to suffer more cramps in hot weather, even when drinking plenty of fluids?

Another club ride today in hot weather, and again the odd cramp twinge towards the end when I've not had cramps all Winter on even longer and hillier rides than this. Drank loads of fluids all the way around as well, and the usual high 5 zero tab thingies in the bidons.

Anyone else get this in hot weather, or does the heat just really not agree with me? I'm determined this year to try to ride all through the Summer for the first time.

I’m solar powered, so prefer the warmer weather.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I’m solar powered, so prefer the warmer weather.

I honestly think it could just be that.

As a gardener, I've always likened people to plants. Some love full sun, others prefer the shade and wither and die in the heat. I'm definitely the latter!

Having said that, I did enjoy today's ride and the dry sunny weather was quite nice :thumbsup:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

Yes because cramps can also be caused by lack of salt sometimes I had to take salt tablets but that is something you may need to talk with your GP about. How much salt do you have in your diet?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes because cramps can also be caused by lack of salt sometimes I had to take salt tablets but that is something you may need to talk with your GP about. How much salt do you have in your diet?

Yeah, I did wonder about the extra salt lost in sweating more. I used to take salt tablets as a kid as suffered a lot of cramps when playing football, especially in hot weather. I'm reluctant to take salt tablets these days though. Diet is reasonably healthy and never add salt to meals (except chips when out) or cook with too much.

I've reduced cramps massively on the bike since last Autumn having got a bit fitter through more Winter miles than I've ever done before. In the past, if I'm honest, lack of fitness has caused the cramps when I've then gone and overdone it.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Yeah, I did wonder about the extra salt lost in sweating more. I used to take salt tablets as a kid as suffered a lot of cramps when playing football, especially in hot weather. I'm reluctant to take salt tablets these days though. Diet is reasonably healthy and never add salt to meals (except chips when out) or cook with too much.

I've reduced cramps massively on the bike since last Autumn having got a bit fitter through more Winter miles than I've ever done before. In the past, if I'm honest, lack of fitness has caused the cramps when I've then gone and overdone it.

It happened to me too because i dont use salt in cooking nor add it even on chips now and in the hot summer months or on holiday it hit me. As you say when its hot you sweat more and you lose salt with that. It sounds like that could be it but if in doubt as a safety thing you could pass it by your GP most people have more than enough in their diet but not everybody especially if they are an athlete.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It happened to me too because i dont use salt in cooking nor add it even on chips now and in the hot summer months or on holiday it hit me. As you say when its hot you sweat more and you lose salt with that. It sounds like that could be it but if in doubt as a safety thing you could pass it by your GP most people have more than enough in their diet but not everybody especially if they are an athlete.

Cheers. Food for thought there.

I might start by upping the electrolyte tabs a tad on hot rides, and going heavier on the bananas for the extra potassium. If no change, then play around with salt intake perhaps. Reluctant to go down the salt tablet route, because obviously my diet isn't completely devoid of processed food, and I'm aware of how much salt is in those.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Deffo a salt thing, just add a bit to your drink. (I don't do it myself but) http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-improve-performance-research-suggests-161033

I bet you 17p, if you made up 2 bottles, one with and one without added salt, then taste tested you'd know which one had the salt in.

Then, after drinking your first bottle, on the ride, by the time you got to the second you'll not be able to taste the salt.
That's a sure sign that, at that point, you're salt deficient.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here