Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you sleep in a double bed with your 13-year old opposite sex child?

Would you sleep in a double bed with your opposite sex 13-year old child

• Yes

Votes: 67 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 44 39.6%

• Total voters

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
BBC website - front page. Man books double-bedded room for him and his 13-year old daughter as the hotel they wanted to stay in had only a double-bedded room left. Hotel calls police when they check in. Police come and confirm all is ok. He seemed surprised that the hotel would call the police, and is asking the hotel to change their booking procedures, thereby implying that somehow the hotel is at fault.

Straw poll - how many of you would sleep in a double bed with your opposite sex 13-year old child? Got to say that there are no circumstances in which I would, but perhaps I'm out of touch. Am I?

Poll to follow...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-39514900

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I think that's fair enough on the Hotel. They may not have been related, they only have the guys word that it was his daughter. I would be pleased that they where keeping an eye out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Voted 'No' - certainly wouldn't want to or plan to, but I suppose there are emergencies/unforeseen circumstances where it could happen.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
My daughter and I booked a twin room at a Travelodge when we went to Leeds Festival. When we got there they only had doubles left so we constructed a pillow wall to try and muffle my snoring!!

I assume these people had a similar problem.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't even know it was considered an issue, but then I don't have 13 year old children.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
My 13yo is the same gender as me so this scenario is only hypothetical for me but whilst I would never deliberately put us in a situation where we had a double bed, if that was the only option or was forced on us by a mistake then I don't see anything wrong.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why limited to other sex child, if the hotel are that concerned will they report any parent and child in a double room.

What if it was a twin room, would the hotel still report to the Police on the basis that the parent can jump into bed with the child.

Seems OTT by the Hotel to me, but just reflects todays society in that there is no innocent view taken, and people always jump to the worst conclusion without evidence.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Why limited to other sex child, if the hotel are that concerned will they report any parent and child in a double room.

What if it was a twin room, would the hotel still report to the Police on the basis that the parent can jump into bed with the child.

Seems OTT by the Hotel to me, but just reflects todays society in that there is no innocent view taken, and people always jump to the worst conclusion without evidence.

My thoughts, too. Man and boy would be no different, nor would woman and girl. And if anything wrong was going to happen, it could be done in a penthouse suite, not just a room with a double bed.

larus

I took my daughter to see Green Day at the Emirates in 2013 - she was 16 at the time. We stayed overnight in a hotel as it was easier, but I'd booked a room with a double bed and another single bed in the lounge area.

After getting back to the hotel after the concert and getting ready for bed, I lay on the double bed and she came and got on the bed for a hug. We ended up falling asleep and she slept inside the quilt and I slept on-top, maybe with just a little of the quilt over me. Purely innocent and I was happy that she was comfortable enough to do that (she lives with her mum as we divorced years ago). I can see why the hotel would have had concerns, but in many parts of the world this would not be considered a problem. I think the problem comes from people constantly looking for problems, when often they don't exist (I agree with the comments of [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION]). I know some may view what happened with me as wrong, but if a parent/child can't be close without questioning the intention, then something is seriously f*cked up with society IMO.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I took my daughter to see Green Day at the Emirates in 2013 - she was 16 at the time. We stayed overnight in a hotel as it was easier, but I'd booked a room with a double bed and another single bed in the lounge area.

After getting back to the hotel after the concert and getting ready for bed, I lay on the double bed and she came and got on the bed for a hug. We ended up falling asleep and she slept inside the quilt and I slept on-top, maybe with just a little of the quilt over me. Purely innocent and I was happy that she was comfortable enough to do that (she lives with her mum as we divorced years ago). I can see why the hotel would have had concerns, but in many parts of the world this would not be considered a problem. I think the problem comes from people constantly looking for problems, when often they don't exist (I agree with the comments of [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION]). I know some may view what happened with me as wrong, but if a parent/child can't be close without questioning the intention, then something is seriously f*cked up with society IMO.

Totally agree. I don't have a 13 (or 16) year old daughter but I think society is seriously messed up if people have issues with what happened to you. If a hotel only had a double room, I personally can see no issue with sleeping in the same bed with my daughter or son.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems a pretty sad state of affairs that we have come to be suspicious of something like this.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Why the hell did you feel the need to type that? Jesus, it's a lovely thing to be close to your children. I give my mum a hug every now and again - I don't want to **** her.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well,the hotel would have been in the wrong if it had been a paedo teacher and his pupil,so better to err on the side of child safety.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I'm off to my boat this weekend and taking my 11 year old daughter with me. She asked if we could sleep in the same bed, I said no problem.
I totally understand the hotels position but it's a sad world.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Many people on this thread have commented on society's attitude, or the hotel calling the police. I deliberately phrased the question in a more personal way - would you sleep in a double bed with your 13-year old opposite sex child?

I stated up front that I wouldn't; here's why not. It's not societal pressure, or lack of intimacy; it's simply that by the time both my daughters were 13 they were acutely aware of their puberty and coming sexuality. While they would both have slept in the same bed as me had I arranged it (as this man did - he booked a double bed - though it's true that there weren't any others available in that hotel [how hard did he look for others?]), I believe neither would have chosen to do so had twin beds been an option. So, my principle reason for not doing so was to give them space as they transitioned from girlhood to womanhood.

Larus' story about the Green Day gig I can completely relate to, and I can see that that could have happened to me and my daughters in similar circumstances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here