Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banning Smoking in pubkic places...

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
True that. Long term smoker here, go to gym 2-3 times a week and fitter than I have ever been - certainly fitter than my non-smoker mates.

The health risks of smoking are greatly exaggerated (not justifying it, it is obviously bad for your health and a stupid thing to do). My nan was a heavy smoker from 15 years old to 90 and died of a non-smoking related illness, go figure.

You are very deluded.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
If I'm outside and someone lights up that first waft of smoke instantly transports me back to the Goldstone it's the most evocative smell I know.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You are the worst sort of person. So entirely selfish. Is it not enough that smokers have be forced out (into the cold and rain) so that you can have you smoke free interiors? Now you want to move them on again? Live and let live. They hurt only themselves and they pay for our healthcare, leave them to it.

My view is that if smoking was probited in public be it outside a pub, in a street, at a bus stop or wherever, people would soon acclimatise to it and we would all benefit health wise. I smoked 15 large cigars a day until 52 years old and then had cancer of the mouth. The consultant gave me two options pack up which I did in 1995 or as he said dont book a holiday for next year as you will lose the deposit. So I can see both sides and know which is best.

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
You don't see many people with pipes these days do you.

I did German for A level back in the 70's. There were only four or five of us so we had some classes in the teacher's sitting room. First thing he always did was get his pipe going and so we sat there learning German in this marvellous smog! Still fond of the aroma though I don't smoke one.

I did German for A level back in the 70's. There were only four or five of us so we had some classes in the teacher's sitting room. First thing he always did was get his pipe going and so we sat there learning German in this marvellous smog! Still fond of the aroma though I don't smoke one.

mr Hall used to freely smoke his pipe during a lesson (Moulsecoomb middle c1977) in one instance, I kid you not, he tapped some kid on the head with it, a bit of hot ash came out and burnt the pupil in question, he in turn simply rubbed it out of his hair and it was never mentioned again. If that happened now Sky News would headline it and have a van of reporters camped in Hodgrove Rd.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The simple fact is that smokers most probably won't die of smoking related illnesses. It obviously increases the likelihood the more one smokes, but even for chain smokers it's far from inevitable.

One completely unbiased scientific study suggests that 1/3 of heavy smokers aged 35 will die of a smoking related illness before 85 - which of course means that 2/3 won't.

Will smoking kill me? Probably not. Do I enjoy it? Yes, I do..... So why should I be forced to stop? Why aren't obese people treated similarly - ie obese people banned from fast food restaurants - considering they have a far shorter expected lifespan than heavy smokers and cost the NHS a lot more.

Yes, it is about time the amount of venom and demonisation directed at smokers started being directed at obese people. Unlike smokers, who pay taxes that cover (or partly cover, whichever side of the pro or anti argument you are on) the cost to the NHS of treating them, obese people don't - and they cost the NHS far, far more than smokers do.

And when they're squashed up next to you in a bus on a hot day, spreading their gross sweaty bodies over one and a half seats, they probably smell worse too!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Many people used to have a drink and a smoke now they have to go out to the garden so if doing that they may just as well do it with mates at home hence not down the pub.

Difficult to quantify, but I imagine that the number is minimal compared to those who prefer to sup from a rather wonderful range of cheap beers from supermarkets.

I don't see it as such a hardship to have a crafty smoke on the doorstep of a pub than inside. What about those that will now frequent a pub as they don't have to inhale smoke and smell like an ashtray?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The tax on smoking does not cover the associated costs of NHS treatment of smoking related illness

yes it does, and with plenty of change. highest estimate of cost is 6bn (which doesnt discount early death of proportion of smokers from NHS bill). tobacco duties at about 9.5 and VAT another 2.5bn. then theres tax on the profits of the tobacco companies (which i cant be bothered to look up) and the tax on the income of the tens of thousands those companies employ. so at least 15bn, or 2.5x more than the cost. with the lower estimates around £3bn, its a 5x benefit. thats why they dont ban it out right you see, cant afford to.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Difficult to quantify, but I imagine that the number is minimal compared to those who prefer to sup from a rather wonderful range of cheap beers from supermarkets.

I don't see it as such a hardship to have a crafty smoke on the doorstep of a pub than inside. What about those that will now frequent a pub as they don't have to inhale smoke and smell like an ashtray?

It is a statistical fact that many customers have stopped using pubs because they cannot have a smoke in there rather than the number of attendances increasing.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The science behind secondary smoke in the first place was a little dodgy. There have been many factors that have affected our air quality in the last 30-40 years that aren't smoking related that could easily be increasing levels of smoking related cancers amongst non smokers.

However, there is definately no evidence to suggest that under the current legislslation that secondary smoke remains a carcinogenic factor. And there won't be.

http://kuneman.smokersclub.com/PASAN/StilettoGenv5h.pdf

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Prove it.

Just ask CAMRA or any other trade organisation, or indeed most publicans and ask them if their trade has dropped since smoking was banned in pubs.

The pub cos must accept some of the blame with the rents they charge but the major cause of failure is the banning of smoking in pubs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Prove it.

to be fair to the grandad who cried wolf, he's spot on. beer sales dropped ~10% in the months immediatly following the ban, and pub clousures accelerated, going from 400 to 1400+ closures in 2007 and 1900+ in 2008. there are a number of other factors, but noone is denying the smoking ban had a significant impact on pubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here