Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland fans want gus out !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think a big part of management is mind games especially theses days with so many interviews etc - look at Mourinho for instance, not that I am saying that Gus is anywhere near as good as him.

What he does behind closed doors is all that matters and who knows what he says then - if he can get more money out of the owner for players then great

I guess he hasn't mentioned wanting to manage opposition clubs yet?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

If he does so be it, many of us want to climb that career ladder, but the only way you can normally do that is to do well in your current job and prove you deserve a promotion - if he does that with us then we will have a good time - I honestly think he did that with Brighton, we are all just stepping stones at the moment

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
can't immediately think of another Prem job he would covet apart from Chelski and Spurz which are both art of the kestion. I wood have sed Livapool until yeshterday

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
They won't go down. 4/5 teams are worse or more at risk

I'd be interested to know the 4/5 teams. An injury ravaged Hull beat Sunderland at the Stadium of Light a few weeks back. Burnley are kicking into gear and the Foxes don't look as dead and buried as they did over the Christmas period.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Their latest results and the ability of the teams below them to pick up points suggests otherwise

they should be very worried indeed though my gut feeling is they should just escape. Having said that; who is obviously worse? Villa? Who else?

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Leicester, QPR, Hull, Burnley, maybe West Brom

Burnley and West Brom will finish above Sunderland for starters. QPR's home form is just about keeping them in with a shout. Leicester are starting to come good after a desperate run of results.

I don't usually bother watching Sunderland games but you were utter crap against an average team. Liverpool should have won by a larger margin. I'd be worried if i was a Mackem.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'd be interested to know the 4/5 teams. An injury ravaged Hull beat Sunderland at the Stadium of Light a few weeks back. Burnley are kicking into gear and the Foxes don't look as dead and buried as they did over the Christmas period.

Hull - Bruce has completely lost it, no funds as they have money troubles apparently

Villa - scored 11 all season and they can't keep clean sheets, there best defender Is injured for weeks, Delph wants away and the chairman is trying to sell so won't even allow 2.5 million to sign a forward

QPR - woeful away, the home form won't keep them up when they still have to play southampton,arsenal,utd, chelsea, Spurs and West Ham at home. Austin is the only one that scores for them, if anything happens to him they are screwed

Leicester - manager isn't up to it, they won't make up the gap, best players away for a month at ACN look completely out of there depth most season

Burnley - I feel harsh putting them in here, but it's mainly for squad size, the luck with injuries has to run out sometime? Right?

Qpr and Leicester are certs in my view

Jimmy Grimble

Yep, when it comes to the crunch it compromises the winning mentality of the players for the big games, because they only know how to play within Gus’s comfort zone. You don’t really learn anything if you are not prepared to take risks.

Yep. His biggest downfall and is what will probably prevent him from being a top manager. The big matches for us where we played well were predominantly the nothing to lose type matches (see FA Cup matches against Newcastle and Arsenal, Southampton when we were down to the bare bones, Cardiff away twice, etc.) Big matches when there clearly was something to lose we couldn't get positive results (Play offs, Palace away, Watford on TV, Leeds on TV), not to mention the amount of 90th minute goals we conceded when we were in the play off positions (Leeds, Wolves, Bolton, Birmingham, Forest) and the inability to win a match from a losing position.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Yep. His biggest downfall and is what will probably prevent him from being a top manager. The big matches for us where we played well were predominantly the nothing to lose type matches (see FA Cup matches against Newcastle and Arsenal, Southampton when we were down to the bare bones, Cardiff away twice, etc.) Big matches when there clearly was something to lose we couldn't get positive results (Play offs, Palace away, Watford on TV, Leeds on TV), not to mention the amount of 90th minute goals we conceded when we were in the play off positions (Leeds, Wolves, Bolton, Birmingham, Forest) and the inability to win a match from a losing position.

it seems his tactics were, pass the ball , don't loose it, when we score keep the ball so they can't score. Which is fine unless the other team score first.
Then as we found out, we just lose.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Totally agree, he has reached his ceiling. I remember him wanting the fans to be patient, so it gives us a clue to his footballing philosophy.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
it seems his tactics were, pass the ball , don't loose it, when we score keep the ball so they can't score. Which is fine unless the other team score first.
Then as we found out, we just lose.

Yep - the stats bear this out as well.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The Jury is out. Was his time at Brighton his golden age of management? The closing matches at Sunderland suggested not but then was that mainly because they assumed they were down, relaxed and came out of their Poyet style shell? It's an interesting ongoing saga. The guy could still go on to be one of the greats and make some of us look a bit silly or he might go on to be just another journeyman manager who realises late that past successes were just as much down to other people's efforts as his own 'genius'.

For me, the jury has never been out.
His time at BHA was good without being outstanding. A Division One title and consolidation in the Championship was not on a par with Adkins or Lambert's achievements. To suggest he could go on to be one of the greats is risible. You mean on a par with Ramsey or Shankly or Revie or Paisley or Clough or Wenger or Ferguson or Mourinho? These are great managers.
All the truly top managers tend to have two things in common. They are prepared to take calculated gambles when the need arises and to first and foremost try to win. Secondly, they always put the players and the club before themselves.
Poyet cannot throw off his defensive inclination and his character ( or ego, if you prefer ) will always come before club and players. His primary concern in life is Gus Poyet Ltd.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I read they also can't win from behind with Gus in charge, it's becoming the problem we had!
It is a problem that got us 4th in the Championship though. Sami managed to get us to win from behind against Bolton, but that's about all he managed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here