Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just entered 13 the Hard Way on Saturday. Any tips [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] ? Will be using it as my LSR this weekend as away on sunday (and missing the game :-( ). Should be running 16 miles this week - does the ‘hard way’ act as a 3 mile handicap?

£25 entry seemed a bit steep - I thought trail events were cheap?

The good news is it’s 13.8 miles the bad news is it’s the toughest run I’ve done outside of a marathon. Would love to do it again but this Saturday is my son’s 4th birthday party.

Tough up hill first mile, followed by 6 steady down hill miles then it becomes tough with 6 up and then a horrible 1 mile downhill where you have no control on tired legs. A great challenge and race and with your recent mileage, you should do well.

I’m supposed to be doing the 30 miler (although not done more than 15m since March so might be a bit stoopid).

13 THW will be easily worth 16 normal miles. The first mile or so is an absolute dog of a climb up to the ridge (known as the Tank Tracks).....it’s then simply follow the SDW to Housedean Farm layby, eat some biscuits and then run back. Although the steepest climb is at the start, I’d say the second half on the way back is probably harder - steep climb away from Housedean, long climb up towards Black Cap......so don’t go mad early on !

Pretty much what they said. I took it relatively easy and had a great day. Never seen such an array of food for a half-marathon!

Beautiful course, but yeah, the first and last bits are killers. I thought it was a straight 13 miles, so at one stage I thought I'd gone the wrong way because I knew I was nowhere near the finish at 13! Depending on timings, I might be cycling past as you're finishing as part of a 100-miler :eek:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good advice. It was hot last year and I emptied the tank too much on the downhill. I was reduced to a walk run for some of the steeper sections, coming home.

I still finished sixth so would love to do it again as I’m probably in better shape than last year.
Pal of mine was in the lead but got heatstroke on the way back down the tracks.......ended up in hospital for a couple of days......

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Pal of mine was in the lead but got heatstroke on the way back down the tracks.......ended up in hospital for a couple of days......

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Yes I heard about that. He ran it the following year and finished second I think. The Jimmy White of 13 The Hard Way

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Pretty much what they said. I took it relatively easy and had a great day. Never seen such an array of food for a half-marathon!

Beautiful course, but yeah, the first and last bits are killers. I thought it was a straight 13 miles, so at one stage I thought I'd gone the wrong way because I knew I was nowhere near the finish at 13! Depending on timings, I might be cycling past as you're finishing as part of a 100-miler :eek:

Be ready for a rubbish high five then!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Preliminary Lancing test event on saturday, I've been given the nod to be a participant. I would enter the Hard Way, but £25 is too steep and it's not the right event at the right time. A run home Lancing, however - is a dream!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Preliminary Lancing test event on saturday, I've been given the nod to be a participant. I would enter the Hard Way, but £25 is too steep and it's not the right event at the right time. A run home Lancing, however - is a dream!

I'll look forward to the report back Saturday. Maybe we should put a date in the diary for a NSC run there. Maybe the the 15th September? We have no fixture that day.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sadly not, I've been told there's at least one sub-17 runner showing up. :down:

But you never know! Also, it's a big ask for me to get to Lancing for the 9am kick off.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Sadly not, I've been told there's at least one sub-17 runner showing up. :down:

But you never know! Also, it's a big ask for me to get to Lancing for the 9am kick off.

I believe you won’t get an official time anyway as it is a test event - a bit like scoring a hat-trick in a pre- season friendly.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I believe you won’t get an official time anyway as it is a test event - a bit like scoring a hat-trick in a pre- season friendly.

Yep, that as well - no time so it doesn't overly matter too much what happens and I intend to run home from there so I won't give it the total beans anyway. And it's not really in their interest for everyone to run it as quickly as possible, we'll need to see how the event goes and any pinch points, etc. I'm genuinely excited to be at a test event before it goes live!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hastings is good. Trouble with the prom course is that on any given day it might be blowing up a gale.

I've decided that I'll have Burgess Park in North Peckham as my back up park run if there is windy weather. Have good memories of the area living in a student squat and later a Georgian house. Ran round the pond/lake once whilst the kids fired rockets horizontally at my head from a bank, swam in the pond/lake every morning of the glorious Wembley summer of 1983 and 2 months of my PGCE were spent at Walworth School being sworn at and spat at when inner city Peckham was different to today.

Fond memories! Will do it regardless of whether I can beat the clock or not.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Off to do 10k in Eastbourne this morning. First run since my holidays.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Off to do 10k in Eastbourne this morning. First run since my holidays.

Good luck with that. It will be fun finishing on the running track. Let us know how it goes.
Good luck also to our hard man doing 13 The Hard Way [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] I'll be missing the Downs to get back to Parkrun.

Have trained The Soft Way a low mileage 10 weeks with only 50 or so miles on the clock consisting of intervals and Parkrun. Need to build up again so a progressive 5 miles yesterday done to slow me down this morning.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good luck [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] looking forward to hearing about it. Weather is as good as you could hope for in August.

No running for me today but looking forward to a long run tomorrow.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Sounds like a busy weekend for nsc’s runners. Good luck everyone.

I got out yesterday for the first time since putting my back out re loading the paper tray on the printer last week. Got Newick 10k next weekend which will now be a gentle training run.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So, the Lancing parkrun - it's really flat, just out from the Perch cafe along to Widewater and then back again. The only concern I would have is that if you have a couple of hundred people on that path, it's going to be almost impossible to pass each other and it may become like a procession. I think it's fine if you can get yourself roughly where you want to be in the event but for anyone like me who occasionally has to start from the back.. I'm not sure it's possible to get through the crowd. There were a lot of people coming the other way or using the path for their own activities, which could potentially be an issue.

It starts for real next saturday with event #1.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds like a busy weekend for nsc’s runners. Good luck everyone.

I got out yesterday for the first time since putting my back out re loading the paper tray on the printer last week. Got Newick 10k next weekend which will now be a gentle training run.

Baz and I have had back problems too. Just done Hove prom and as soon as I started lower back started screaming, ran through it and managed a tempo last mile. Helped Mr Blobby to a SB/PB and ponced a cup of tea of him. Got up to leave and couldn't walk. Now have an ice pack on it. I need a replacement for Jesus.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Baz and I have had back problems too. Just done Hove prom and as soon as I started lower back started screaming, ran through it and managed a tempo last mile. Helped Mr Blobby to a SB/PB and ponced a cup of tea of him. Got up to leave and couldn't walk. Now have an ice pack on it. I need a replacement for Jesus.

Bad news (but not for Mr Blobby). I did a windy Worthing in 21:38 (tbc) - not good enough to trouble the scorers. Ice pack for Achilles in my case!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here