Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn - New Centre Back

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We’re always trying to build and improve. Stephens & Pröpper will take some shifting but in Bissouma, we could have a player who is better than them both. Kayal is as good as Stephens so central midfield is looking competitive.

This is a good model to have for the centre back positions but is obviously made difficult with us needing an HGP.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nothing has changed -we need 4 CBs who can play at Prem level. I understand why we had to let Goldson go, but for such a paltry sum? What should have been Goldson out, Moore in and one or two million spent is now turning into a £7 or £8 mill differential with the clock ticking and several clubs with Reading's asking price in their back pocket.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
No just an opinion.
There is simply no evidence to suggest that either Moore or JOC would challenge, Dunk or Duffy.

I can’t see why we would waste £10m for either Moore or JOC. They really aren’t that good, neither better than Goldson IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm... I would suggest Moore is definitely better than Goldson, but wouldn’t be sure re JOC...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes but the original confirmed bid was £5m then possibly £8m.

I would say £5m is what you’d pay for cover not a starter.

If the club considered Moore as being as good as or better than D and D or to provide competition they would have upped the reported £8m fee that was reported to have been rejected.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
and JOC but it depends on how much we value either at possibly top whack £8m as above that you need a player to step straight into the side above D and D. We had a player comparable to Moore and JOC who wanted 1st team football so we let him go for a minimal fee allegedly. We are trying to replace him at much the same fee.

Eh!? Sorry BG, I lost you there... I don’t think Goldson was ever going to displace D & D... Moore offers genuine competition, whereas I assume JOC would be longer-term but able to step in... the latter is therefore valued lower than Moore...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Eh!? Sorry BG, I lost you there... I don’t think Goldson was ever going to displace D & D... Moore offers genuine competition, whereas I assume JOC would be longer-term but able to step in... the latter is therefore valued lower than Moore...

There were many supporters last season who considered that Goldson should have replaced Duffy.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If the club considered Moore as being as good as or better than D and D or to provide competition they would have upped the reported £8m fee that was reported to have been rejected.

Well, that is certainly an interesting comment, especially since you previously stated Dunk was worth about the same as Moore, which is laughable...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
There were many supporters last season who considered that Goldson should have replaced Duffy.

There were indeed... were you one of them?

larus

That is the point I dont think that we are. I would suggest that at the right price we are looking for a player who can be 4th choice if needed or offer competition but AT THE RIGHT PRICE. Depends on what you can get for your money. ie. £10m+ either a competent player or one with potential to offer competition. At £3m a 4th choice cover for the next season or perhaps 2 as per Hunemier.

So you’re suggesting that we are saying to players “We want you to come here, probably not get on the bench, and be our 4th choice CB. If you do get on the bench, you won’t go on unless the 3rd choice CB gets injured.”.

Yeah, right. CH will want players who want to compete. The fact is we had players in our squad last year from the championship and there will gradually be replaced. Harsh, but the registry of professional football.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well, that is certainly an interesting comment, especially since you previously stated Dunk was worth about the same as Moore, which is laughable...

There were indeed... were you one of them?

No I wasnt as I didnt think that CG was ready for prolonged selection as regarding the 2 values that you quote in post why replace like for like. if you want to bring in a player he needs to be better than what we have or revert to the idea of having him purely as cover as I have suggested.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I would be concerned he could step up, but, TBF, if CH believes he can, then he probably can.

BG still fails to understand that we are not looking for a 4th choice CB, but rather a CB who can genuinely compete with our current CB’s... what a shock that is! [emoji6]

The club will not sign anyone, who they don't believe can't compete for a strarting slot in the first team. No one comes to the club as a makeweight for others. That is a measure of how ammitious we have become. We demand success.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Sounds like a "Journeyman" player but as he is an HGP probably worth 3 Mill. Ideal 4th choice CB in many ways.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
The manager at Wigan says players will be sold if right bid made...

I would Imagine 3 mill will be too low, but could well be 5-6 as a possibility instead of 15 mill for Moore.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hmmm... I would suggest Moore is definitely better than Goldson, but wouldn’t be sure re JOC...

I think that’s the main difference in our opinion’s, [emoji2] I don’t think Moore is very good (in terms of the PL).

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
No I wasnt as I didnt think that CG was ready for prolonged selection as regarding the 2 values that you quote in post why replace like for like. if you want to bring in a player he needs to be better than what we have or revert to the idea of having him purely as cover as I have suggested.

Dear BG, as I have said repeatedly, we are NOT signing players to be 4th choice. We are signing players who can compete to play in the 1st team. This is not to say the new signing will replace the current top choice, but they will offer genuine competition.

Take your earlier suggestion that we should keep hold of Skalak, and not bother to sign a fourth winger who will compete. The club duly sold Jiri and signed Ali, as I told you they would. The CB situation is similar, but, in fact, now more pressing. We will not get by with a converted fullback, we will not hinder Ben White’s development by keeping him here as backup, and we certainly won’t sign James ****ing Collins! Now, do you get it?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The club will not sign anyone, who they don't believe can't compete for a strarting slot in the first team. No one comes to the club as a makeweight for others. That is a measure of how ammitious we have become. We demand success.

Spot on..

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think that’s the main difference in our opinion’s, [emoji2] I don’t think Moore is very good (in terms of the PL).

Now, you see, that is a valid opinion. I don’t agree, but fair enough. It’s BG’s suggestions for squad acquisitions (such as Collins and Huth) that I know we just wouldn’t entertain, that I find so irritating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here