Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tapping up of players

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think something is lost in translation here. Barber would play everything by the book.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ex-managers and ex-players freely admit that (illegal) tapping up is rife. When a club is caught, fans of other clubs jumps on their high moral horses, but it is almost certainly carried out by their clubs too.

Before ManU make an official move for Maguire, for example, illegal contact would be made. Obviously not a (potentially damning evidence) call from CEO Woodward to Maguire, but by someone else to his agent.

It was explained that this also prevents the ego/club esteem being knocked in making official approaches for players, who then make it plain to all "No, I don't want join ..... FC".

Tapping up means clubs are then able to publically chase players minded to join them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the representatives of one club, talking to the representatives of another clubs player is now accepted. What is not allowed is the manager of one club talking directly to the player of another club, like when Jurgen Klopp spoke directly with Virgil Van Dyke and Southampton threatened to report him, forcing Liverpool to back away from the deal (temporarily) and to make a public apology.

FIFA and FA rules prohibit the actions you say are allowed.

Clubs cannot contact the player OR his representatives.
The player's representative cannot discuss with the player a potential move as that would be breaching his employment contract with his current club.
The buying club's only contact is with the club holding the player.

The buying club can only talk to the player/agent once the clubs have agreed a fee.

Anything more than this is tapping up. And is probably done all the time.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
IMO the way the club has been run from day one of the Amex adventure, every point of going after a player, would've been by the book.
Not stooping to the level of other corrupt club's.
With Paul Barber being involved you can assure they'll be no funny business.

Whilst I do, in principle, agree with you, don't forget that Albion were fined for something to do with Dale Stephens' agent. I believe that was not doing things by the book. And I believe that was during Barbs reign as CEO.
Actually, was Barbs here when Stephens joined?
I'm getting less confident as I type this thing...

:lolol:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Whilst I do, in principle, agree with you, don't forget that Albion were fined for something to do with Dale Stephens' agent. I believe that was not doing things by the book. And I believe that was during Barbs reign as CEO.

Barber became chief exec in May 2012, Dale Stephens didn’t join us from Charlton until Jan 2014.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It was Barber, but as I understood it at the time, we were deceived by Stephen's agent, but paid the fine anyway, as ignorance is no defence (or something like that).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ex-managers and ex-players freely admit that (illegal) tapping up is rife. When a club is caught, fans of other clubs jumps on their high moral horses, but it is almost certainly carried out by their clubs too.

Before ManU make an official move for Maguire, for example, illegal contact would be made. Obviously not a (potentially damning evidence) call from CEO Woodward to Maguire, but by someone else to his agent.

It was explained that this also prevents the ego/club esteem being knocked in making official approaches for players, who then make it plain to all "No, I don't want join ..... FC".

Tapping up means clubs are then able to publically chase players minded to join them.
l

Worth pointing out that if Maguire does go to United,then that will have a knock on effect on the next CBs in line, which would be Dunk and Lascelles in my book

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
FIFA and FA rules prohibit the actions you say are allowed.

Clubs cannot contact the player OR his representatives.
The player's representative cannot discuss with the player a potential move as that would be breaching his employment contract with his current club.
The buying club's only contact is with the club holding the player.

The buying club can only talk to the player/agent once the clubs have agreed a fee.

Anything more than this is tapping up. And is probably done all the time.

It's a murky old world, clubs have agents and players have agents, so there is just enough distance to get around the rules.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
When Poyet was manager he was quite public about having spoken to Gronigen and Van Dijk and he would ,quite probably, have joined us in that transfer window had Gronigen not been involved in a relegation fight. I was expecting him to have joined at the end of that season but, of course, Poyet had gone by then and the rest is history. I was quite confident that Poyet would have kept in touch with the player over the next few months with a view to signing as soon as it was possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here