Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Rochdale v Tottenham

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It will always be Spotland and I remember that 3-0 defeat on a Tuesday night in the traumatic 1996/97 season. I didn't go but it's just the result and team we lost to that hit home to me how much we were in the shit at that time.

Mega fans who went that night. I can't think of anything more depressing on that cold October evening than witnessing that. A very bleak era.

I was there that night and you are right. It was a bleak era. Not claiming to be a mega fan :albion2:

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I was there that night and you are right. It was a bleak era. Not claiming to be a mega fan :albion2:

Me too! One of I think 13 away games for me that season (lost 12, drew 1). Mind I’m no superfan only managed 2 home games (W2) - Living In Liverpool made away games so much easier to get to...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Bizarre definition of taking someone out. The leap was quite incredible.

Put in another if he was actor playing a footballer in a film the director would have asked for another take.
Look who made the comment-our very own Super Spud.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It will always be Spotland and I remember that 3-0 defeat on a Tuesday night in the traumatic 1996/97 season. I didn't go but it's just the result and team we lost to that hit home to me how much we were in the shit at that time.

Mega fans who went that night. I can't think of anything more depressing on that cold October evening than witnessing that. A very bleak era.

I don't think I was at that game but I was there a couple of times in that era. I remember feeling similar sentiments about our fall. Such a dire team (in due respect) and such hopeless circumstances. I think one of the performances was the worst Albion performance I've ever seen, the weather didn't help, it always seems perishing cold up there, and a good friend had to be restrained as he completely lost it with our players, he'd already been warned by the police for jumping onto the side of the pitch. Not a good thing to do but such was the frustration.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How am I the first person in nearly 150 posts to notice it was clearly both a penalty and dive? He went down theatrically, but it was still a foul. Pretty straightforward really?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How am I the first person in nearly 150 posts to notice it was clearly both a penalty and dive? He went down theatrically, but it was still a foul. Pretty straightforward really?
Correct. Player makes meal out of penalty shout shock.

Jesus, nothing new is it? The whole footballing world does it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
First to post that but possibly not the first to notice that it was laughable the way he threw himself to the ground. Ali and Zaha are on a par with each other when it comes to diving. Neither of them need to do it which is the most irritating thing.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Exactly. I am sure he could have stayed on his feet if he wanted and tried to, but why should he?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
First to post that but possibly not the first to notice that it was laughable the way he threw himself to the ground. Ali and Zaha are on a par with each other when it comes to diving. Neither of them need to do it which is the most irritating thing.

The way he went down was embarrassing. Sadly still a penalty though.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not forgetting these experts at the modern 'art': Kane, Rooney, Calvert-Lewin, Ashley Young.

All athletes with strength and balance, who miraculously lose those attributes when in the penalty box.

Forgot Owen...sure everyone hated him winning the pen in the world cup

Can’t say I’m much of a fan, but it’s the modern game.

If refs started giving pens for fouls that don’t end up with the attacking player on the floor, it may stop.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There was, once again, a paucity of knowledge on display about anything below the Premier League from the pundits covering this game for the BBC. Shearer, Jenas and Murphy were all going on about how surprising it was that Div 2 Rochdale would try to play a passing game. The same was coming from The Today Programme's sports reporter this morning.

Keith Hill has been managing in the lower leagues for a decade or more and, in my experience, has always been known for trying to play a passing game on a budget. He was doing it when Rochdale got promoted from League 2, he was doing it when we won League 1 under Poyet, he tried to do it with Barnsley in the Championship. How come someone like me, a fan of a team from down South, someone who has no interest in Rochdale, can be aware of this but people who are paid very good money to talk about football don't seem to have a clue? The lack of any research being done by these ex-pros is a constant annoyance. Shearer is the absolute worst. He doesn't even seem to know the names of 90% of the players outside of the big six, let alone the lower leagues. Stop getting by on being famous and do the job that you are being paid for!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There was, once again, a paucity of knowledge on display about anything below the Premier League from the pundits covering this game for the BBC. Shearer, Jenas and Murphy were all going on about how surprising it was that Div 2 Rochdale would try to play a passing game. The same was coming from The Today Programme's sports reporter this morning.

Keith Hill has been managing in the lower leagues for a decade or more and, in my experience, has always been known for trying to play a passing game on a budget. He was doing it when Rochdale got promoted from League 2, he was doing it when we won League 1 under Poyet, he tried to do it with Barnsley in the Championship. How come someone like me, a fan of a team from down South, someone who has no interest in Rochdale, can be aware of this but people who are paid very good money to talk about football don't seem to have a clue? The lack of any research being done by these ex-pros is a constant annoyance. Shearer is the absolute worst. He doesn't even seem to know the names of 90% of the players outside of the big six, let alone the lower leagues. Stop getting by on being famous and do the job that you are being paid for!

I'm very surprised that 99% of the time they're on the side of the player claiming a pen. The usual statements - "there was some contact even if minimal", "a naive challenge", etc. Even when a striker unnaturally alters his course away from the path of the ball to engineer a collision or leaves a dangling leg hoping for any contact. I suppose they don't want to call recent mates cheats. A bit like the goalies union.

On the radio, many commentators and ex playing pundits seem more candid and rational, with comments such as "I'm sorry that's a dive. For a athlete to go down for that is a farce".

I loved Shearer the striker for clubs and England, but he's a bad as Jenas and the other cheat apologists.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
On first viewing I thought it was an obvious dive but looking at replays from different angles there obviously was definite contact. The way he went over was suspect though - it is one of those where VAR wouldn't necessarily help as it still comes down to opinions on how significant the contact was to making him fall over.
Thank god Dale got an equaliser - great old fashioned cup tie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there is much doubt that the defender came across him, and caught him, a penalty every day....I think the issue is now how players like Ali, and he is not the only one, Kane did the same, that think they need to add a theatrical dive to emphasise that they have been viciously savaged by a defender.

The Rochdale manager thinks it's ok to dive to get a penalty so perhaps it is us football fans that should now accept that conning an official is now the norm and we have to accept this is the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here