Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The offside law when passing it around in your own half

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Can any of the more knowledgeable people on here clear something up from yesterday. Late in the first half, we had an offside decision go against us but it looked from my vantage point as if the ball was being passed not to the player in their half but to another Brighton player still in our own half.

a) Did I see it right or was the pass to the player furthest forward?

b) What are the rules regarding players in offside positions when they aren't part of the immediate play, especially if the ball is still in the team with the ball's half? I thought the over-riding factor is "is the player interfering with play".

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can any of the more knowledgeable people on here clear something up from yesterday. Late in the first half, we had an offside decision go against us but it looked from my vantage point as if the ball was being passed not to the player in their half but to another Brighton player still in our own half.

a) Did I see it right or was the pass to the player furthest forward?

b) What are the rules regarding players in offside positions when they aren't part of the immediate play, especially if the ball is still in the team with the ball's half? I thought the over-riding factor is "is the player interfering with play".

a) If we're talking about the same passage of play (no idea, though us having the ball was a rarity), I believed a Brighton player had come back from an offside position (when the pass was made) to receive the ball when in a not-offside position.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
All the action for this was near the Brighton dug-out and time-wise I'd guess at about 35 minutes in.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No idea still celebrating the save by Ryan in the 34th minute.

Would need to see video to comment on actual incident, but player needs to be active, as in receiving the ball or moving towards the ball. The offside described above did occur during the game but was on the east side of the pitch

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Murphy received the ball in our half after running back from and offside position.

Also re offsides. A lot of people don't seem to realise you can't be offside from a goal kick. With lots of WSU shouting offside when Aguero tried to receive a goal kick well behind our defenders.

Murphy received the ball in our half after running back from and offside position.

Also re offsides. A lot of people don't seem to realise you can't be offside from a goal kick. With lots of WSU shouting offside when Aguero tried to receive a goal kick well behind our defenders.

I did not know this.

Is it a new thing or have I been wrong forever?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wait, what? One of our players got in their half in the first 45 minutes?

I'm more concerned that we have someone asking about the offside rule that isn't a WOMAN ! Shame on you [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
a) If we're talking about the same passage of play (no idea, though us having the ball was a rarity), I believed a Brighton player had come back from an offside position (when the pass was made) to receive the ball when in a not-offside position.

This, because it annoyed me as did Murray getting caught offside from a free-kick.

Murphy was ball watching/asleep, in an offside possession and sprinted towards the ball, which was in his own half, thus becoming active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

This. And This.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Corners, throw ins & goal kicks. You have been wrong forever.

I wish we would take advantage of the throw ins more. Bruno had a throw in just 10 yards from the back line in the second half but threw it upfield.

One of the biggest laughs I've had, at the Amex, was a linesman on the west side, flagging furiously for an 'offside' from a throw in.
Luckily the ref ignored him. Brighton fans gave the Lino some stick.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm more concerned that we have someone asking about the offside rule that isn't a WOMAN ! Shame on you [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]

I am constantly amazed by the lack of knowledge of the laws of game by supporters who have been watching football for decades. Poor ref's (not really) getting abused for correctly upholding the laws.

Who knows,
Blood injuries that receive treatment off the pitch are not allowed back on until there's a stoppage in play unlike any other injury who are allowed on during play.
Two team mates collide and both require attention, on receiving treatment neither are required to leave the pitch before the game restarts.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I did not know this.

Is it a new thing or have I been wrong forever?

Always been the way from place kicks/goal kick from the deck not the hands, it is amazing how many people did not know this rule, even when I used to play on a saturday defenders didnt know it....

When defenders pushed up to half way i used to stroll 15 yards behind them and just wait for it to clear the back line from the goal kick... the amount of times defenders just said dont worry he's off etc was baffling.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well I'll be dammed.

I know the corner, throw in ones, and I even played the game at a half decent level for 10 years.

I played as a centre half and was surprised when strikers didn't appear to know this either trying to curve their runs as their keeper took a goal kick. Well I wasn't going to tell them was I! :shrug:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Hang on a minute. It was because I thought the pass was to a player in an onside position by virtue of being in our half, which seems to be a correct assumption, and wondered if the lino/ref had got it wrong. It does happen you know. I think Spurs had a player ruled offside a season or two back despite being in his own half when the ball was kicked.

And at Withdean I remember a linesman calling offside on a throw-in once.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here