Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Third Ashes Test - England v Australia - Edgbaston

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
If we want to **** it from the start, there is no better opener than Alex Hales in the country for that.....If you want to see off the new ball, go back to Michael Carberry or Nick Compton?

Unfortunately I really don'y think Adam Lyth has it but I think he will be in the team for the whole Ashes series

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
If we want to **** it from the start, there is no better opener than Alex Hales in the country for that.....If you want to see off the new ball, go back to Michael Carberry or Nick Compton?

Unfortunately I really don'y think Adam Lyth has it but I think he will be in the team for the whole Ashes series

Watching Hales last night, he could not pick or play the fast bowls that Mills bowled (that were not wide or no balls). Not sure what the Aussie attack would do to him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Watching Hales last night, he could not pick or play the fast bowls that Mills bowled (that were not wide or no balls). Not sure what the Aussie attack would do to him.

But he deserves a chance, given that he is the only true candidate who hasn't had one yet.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That is a statement that is hard to argue with, on the revolving opener door policy, that England currently employ.

In fairness, it's not so much a policy as a necessity. The selectors need one opener (prefererably two) to stake a claim to open with Cook. So far, none of them have proved good enough. Lyth, Compton, Carberry - none of them are head and shoulders ahead of the others, all good county openers without the class to cope with high quality fast bowling from both ends.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But he deserves a chance, given that he is the only true candidate who hasn't had one yet.

I feel the same way about Hales opening a test for England the same way as I feel about Andy Burnham or Yvette Cooper becoming Labour leader - if they were all that they'd have got the gig by now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In fairness, it's not so much a policy as a necessity. The selectors need one opener (prefererably two) to stake a claim to open with Cook. So far, none of them have proved good enough. Lyth, Compton, Carberry - none of them are head and shoulders ahead of the others, all good county openers without the class to cope with high quality fast bowling from both ends.

and Robson.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

I do not disagree.

Compton probably had the temperament, but not the technique. The others were generally lacking on both fronts.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
With 2 down I'm relaxed, but if Root had been caught just then it may have started to be a bit of stress

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Boycott is in PRIME form on TMS. Telling off Bell for hitting out, slurring after lunch. Poor Jim Maxwell co-commentating sounds like the bloke in the pub who's been cornered by someone who's one over the eight. Mrs Boycott had better have his dinner ready on time later.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Boycott is in PRIME form on TMS. Telling off Bell for hitting out, slurring after lunch. Poor Jim Maxwell co-commentating sounds like the bloke in the pub who's been cornered by someone who's one over the eight. Mrs Boycott had better have his dinner ready on time later.

:lolol:. Ooh he is going on - it's like listening to that annoying motorway traffic drone. I have no idea what the score is!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Two WIDES in a row :lolol:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
2 consecutive wides from Starc. Crowd start "are you Johnson in disguise" :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here