Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody Else Starting To Actually RESENT The Club For Their Lack Of Focus On The Pitch?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think you are right that he is cautious. The problem will be if we don't get that striker who is going to put away his chances. A cautious manager doesn't mean a bad one. Chris and Tony need to know the players that are going to thrive under his leadership.

There are downsides to having a reputation for too much caution. Experienced quality players especially strikers will be more attracted to sign for attacking teams. Practicing caution doesn’t help when you need the win and 1-0 down, and that is where Poyet failed when we didn’t score one goal in 180 minutes of play against Palace.

I couldn’t imagine Eddie Howe playing it safe, and he set the bar in the Championship for pace, blood and guts.

It doesn't really make sense to lower the footballing bar to accommodate the players, it’s about getting the players to raise their game in fitness and in quality.

I could be wrong if he manages to pull in some impressive signings but I am not convinced today 4th May 2015.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
There are downsides to having a reputation for too much caution. Experienced quality players especially strikers will be more attracted to sign for attacking teams. Practicing caution doesn’t help when you need the win and 1-0 down, and that is where Poyet failed when we didn’t score one goal in 180 minutes of play against Palace.

I couldn’t imagine Eddie Howe playing it safe, and he set the bar in the Championship for pace, blood and guts.

It doesn't really make sense to lower the footballing bar to accommodate the players, it’s about getting the players to raise their game in fitness and in quality.

I could be wrong if he manages to pull in some impressive signings but I am not convinced today 4th May 2015.

I think you are right. A cautious style will put some strikers of, which is why I said that Tony and Chris are going to have to know which players will thrive under him. I don't think next season will be the most exciting season we have had, but if we are winning games then our fans will tolerate it. If he fails to win enough then we will be describing him in the same way Norwich fans do. It is honestly tight lines.

One thing I am sure about is getting rid of him now will mean that we have not learnt from the last two season. So this is our hand that we have been dealt with, and we have to hope its a winning hand.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think you are right. A cautious style will put some strikers of, which is why I said that Tony and Chris are going to have to know which players will thrive under him. I don't think next season will be the most exciting season we have had, but if we are winning games then our fans will tolerate it. If he fails to win enough then we will be describing him in the same way Norwich fans do. It is honestly tight lines.

One thing I am sure about is getting rid of him now will mean that we have not learnt from the last two season. So this is our hand that we have been dealt with, and we have to hope its a winning hand.

I agree. Actually having a manager is a good start, and although I have my doubts about him I will still have hope, especially if we get a few Kayal type signings over the summer.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
El Pres has already answered this well, but having a drink until late does not equate with anything goes. Come on, name names and their job titles.

I was only there until 1 so can't comment on anything after that but up to that point they were keeping themselves to themselves and just having some beers and a few glasses of wine. Apart Colin Calderwood and Antti Niemi I didn't have a bloody clue who the rest of them were. If they weren't wearing their Albion gear I doubt anyone would have known.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I agree. Actually having a manager is a good start, and although I have my doubts about him I will still have hope, especially if we get a few Kayal type signings over the summer.
I know Kayal is an exciting player at our level. The Argus said March is back full training, so is going to be available for Pre-season, and Baldock will be fully recovered for Pre-season.

If Stockdale cuts out his mistakes. Kayal and Stephens build on their partnership, with Ince in the mix as well. March moves up another level next season, and finally we play Baldock up front and to his strengths then I think we will do a lot better next season than this.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No, not feeling RESENT at all.

It was a bad season, mistakes have been made. The Berk and The Finn were here too long and almost wrecked us.

Ancient history now, time to move on and anticipate a good summer window.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Assuming the board monitor this, er, board, the more hi-vis threads the better. IMHO, like. If we don't let constantly let them know they need to do better, they'll be overly complacent about ST renewal figures (many of which are due to sheer laziness, same as most people who can afford it don't change their energy supplier)

Yes, I am sure that Tony Bloom and co are deliriously happy with the present situation.... not. I hardly think our Tone and all are only going to stir their stumps and do something to try and sort out a realistic push for promotion or play-offs just because they think the fans might be getting a bit restless.

And as for the idea of sleepwalking in to a renewal as a STH, you do actually have to make a conscious move to do it. It doesn't just happen

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
"And as for the idea of sleepwalking in to a renewal as a STH, you do actually have to make a conscious move to do it. It doesn't just happen"

Are you sure about that?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
"And as for the idea of sleepwalking in to a renewal as a STH, you do actually have to make a conscious move to do it. It doesn't just happen"

Are you sure about that?

Yes! I knew what the options were and I made a conscious decision to allow my direct debit to continue ... with no resentment whatsoever!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Not trawling thru all this but 100% agree.

Its ALL about the ****ing pitch at the end of the day. The rest is just window dressing. Seriously it is. Look at Palace investment on the pitch yet they play in that shit hole.

Now ask me where I would rather be and dont ****ing bang on about creditors blah blah blah im talking about the HERE AND NOW.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If you look at ST renewals for the last TWO seasons, they are down over 20%. I suspect that has focussed minds.

A meaningful stat and one which validates my point. Its all about what happens on the pitch. Who gives a **** about padded seats.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not trawling thru all this but 100% agree.

Its ALL about the ****ing pitch at the end of the day. The rest is just window dressing. Seriously it is. Look at Palace investment on the pitch yet they play in that shit hole.

Now ask me where I would rather be and dont ****ing bang on about creditors blah blah blah im talking about the HERE AND NOW.

Palace invested less on the playing side than us in the year that they went up - wages and transfer fees.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, I am sure that Tony Bloom and co are deliriously happy with the present situation.... not. I hardly think our Tone and all are only going to stir their stumps and do something to try and sort out a realistic push for promotion or play-offs just because they think the fans might be getting a bit restless.

And as for the idea of sleepwalking in to a renewal as a STH, you do actually have to make a conscious move to do it. It doesn't just happen

Yes it does. The direct debit scheme needs no conscious move at all.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I know where the OP is coming from but I certainly don't resent it - it makes total business sense.

Said it before but I'll say it again: that high season ticket renewal rate clearly says that, for a lot of people who attend games at Falmer, the quality of the fare on the pitch has clearly become far less of a deciding factor as to whether people go to games, buy season tickets etc.

So some of us old fart graduates of Withdean/Gillingham/Goldstone who recognise a poor team when we see one are perhaps missing the point: why waste money on better players when a lot of people will go along for the Nice Day Out anyway?

If I was Tony Bloom, I wouldn't waste money on crazy salaries for possibly mediocre footballers either: they won't bring about increased season ticket sales. How can they? We've sold a shedload anyway. Why increase your costs when it probably won't increase your revenue?

What all this says about the prospects for rebuilding a rubbishy team this summer...well, let's see.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
We're trying to follow an Arsenal/Southampton model, rather than a Palace/Bournemouth one. We are about the long-term. The shambles this year might actually do us some good in the 'long run' because the sights will be well and truly set on the pitch side of the business. And at least we'll be going into a close-season with a manager in place (maybe true at the time of writing).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

So you'd rather we'd beaten Palace in the playoffs.

Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here