Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curry Recomendation.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The one with 2 stars hygiene rating ???
You can get a low hygiene rating for simply not filling in the necessary paperwork (hygiene schedules/heat probe recordings/chopping board colour scheme etc). It isn't a reflection of the quality of the food produced.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You can get a low hygiene rating for simply not filling in the necessary paperwork (hygiene schedules/heat probe recordings/chopping board colour scheme etc). It isn't a reflection of the quality of the food produced.

Utter rubbish, 'colour scheme', you are kidding me, what are your thinking, you have some camp interior designer having a flounce. !!!

Look, its your public hygiene score, it represents your business priority.

If you cannot get 4 or above your are shoddy, it tells a story, how you source your produce and how you care for the well being of your customers.

How difficult is it to keep things clean and within the guidelines of a fairly passive body that scores you, after all its your business and you need to know what might keep your customers safe.

I have frequented a takeaway and enjoyed their food, only to find they got 1 out of 5, they took the piss out of me and I got lucky not to get ill, not any more 4 or above before I hand over my fiver to someone that wants to have my business.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have frequented a takeaway and enjoyed their food, only to find they got 1 out of 5, they took the piss out of me and I got lucky not to get ill, not any more 4 or above before I hand over my fiver to someone that wants to have my business.

1/5 is basically they fulfill legal requirements for hygiene and nothing else. so it stands to reason those with 4 and 5s are adhereing to standards well above what is necessary to keep you from getting ill. its a bit like hotel stars, you cant get a 4th star without certain facilities available no matter how well the sheets are turned down and rooms spotlessly clean. i believe the colour coded choping board is alluding to having differnet colours for meat/veg and so on, nothing to do with desgin.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
1/5 is basically they fulfill legal requirements for hygiene and nothing else. so it stands to reason those with 4 and 5s are adhereing to standards well above what is necessary to keep you from getting ill. its a bit like hotel stars, you cant get a 4th star without certain facilities available no matter how well the sheets are turned down and rooms spotlessly clean. i believe the colour coded choping board is alluding to having differnet colours for meat/veg and so on, nothing to do with desgin.

I am not with you on the hotel analogy, as I dont know any food establishment that cannot acquire a 5 rating irrespective of their own facilities, worth noting that the 'Crazy Golf Kiosk' in Madeira Drive scored a 5 as has a number of 'kiosks' in the Brighton area.

For me, I wouldnt wast my time factoring in excuses for your favourite takeaway, its a solid 4 or 5 or they wont get my money and they shouldnt deserve a recommendation to others.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Utter rubbish, 'colour scheme', you are kidding me, what are your thinking, you have some camp interior designer having a flounce. !!!

Look, its your public hygiene score, it represents your business priority.

If you cannot get 4 or above your are shoddy, it tells a story, how you source your produce and how you care for the well being of your customers.

How difficult is it to keep things clean and within the guidelines of a fairly passive body that scores you, after all its your business and you need to know what might keep your customers safe.

Different coloured chopping boards are used for different types of food, red for raw meat, white for bread, brown for veg etc, you also need to display a (pie) chart stating what is cut on each board.

Failure to have this sort of paperwork will result in a very hygienic kitchen being marked poorly. Sometimes establishments are run by folk whose first language isn't English and this can often lead to difficulties with the paperwork.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Different coloured chopping boards are used for different types of food, red for raw meat, white for bread, brown for veg etc, you also need to display a (pie) chart stating what is cut on each board.

Failure to have this sort of paperwork will result in a very hygienic kitchen being marked poorly. Sometimes establishments are run by folk whose first language isn't English and this can often lead to difficulties with the paperwork.

You're faffing around trying to make an excuse for their poor 2 out of 5 hygiene rating.

If you dont think that our councils inspectors are not trained in how they approach different establishments with the challenges of language and culture then I think you are doing those inspectors a disservice, but even so this shouldn't over ride the priority of them selling food to you and I within a hygienic environment.

Your favourite restaurants got Good for hygiene and Poor for the overall structure and cleanliness of the place and they only had Some confidence in the management to understand whats necessary to improve or maintain their overall hygiene.

It isnt the most damning inspection score, but if you cared to compare it to other 5 rating establishments selling the same style food nearby then I would switch until they showed some improvement.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I am not with you on the hotel analogy, as I dont know any food establishment that cannot acquire a 5 rating irrespective of their own facilities, worth noting that the 'Crazy Golf Kiosk' in Madeira Drive scored a 5 as has a number of 'kiosks' in the Brighton area.

For me, I wouldnt wast my time factoring in excuses for your favourite takeaway, its a solid 4 or 5 or they wont get my money and they shouldnt deserve a recommendation to others.

Hey, even the catering shack at Selhurst can manage the full 5*. Can't be that hard to achieve with a little effort.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You're faffing around trying to make an excuse for their poor 2 out of 5 hygiene rating.

If you dont think that our councils inspectors are not trained in how they approach different establishments with the challenges of language and culture then I think you are doing those inspectors a disservice, but even so this shouldn't over ride the priority of them selling food to you and I within a hygienic environment.

Your favourite restaurants got Good for hygiene and Poor for the overall structure and cleanliness of the place and they only had Some confidence in the management to understand whats necessary to improve or maintain their overall hygiene.

It isnt the most damning inspection score, but if you cared to compare it to other 5 rating establishments selling the same style food nearby then I would switch until they showed some improvement.
I'm not faffing about, it's a reality, a clean kitchen with good hygiene practices but no paperwork will lead to a low score as much as a dirty kitchen would.

I'm not trying to defend any 2 out of 5 establishment, I'm attempting to educate you :)

[h=3]bon appetit[/h]

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My view in the past of Council EHO is that they are petty minded with a sense of power. Whilst it as accepted that they do some good and are a necessity for some places. We had one in Guildford who insisted that our food ,which was usually specials that we hadnt sold and had for our dinner, had to be stored in a separate fridge and any food used for our purposes had to be stored in different cupboards. I mean how many cartons of milk or packets of mixed herbs do you want open at a time. She said the same about Knives Forks and Spoons for domestic use as opposed to those used in the pub. That was taking power too far for me and when she came to do an inspection my wife always sent me to the shops to get me out of her way so as not to antagonize her.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am not with you on the hotel analogy,

the point is the scores are largely about box ticking and procedure, above and beyond actual hygene and certainly has little to nothing to do with quality or customer satisfaction. you'll be fooling yourself if you think a 4 or 5 is automatically better than a 3, it means they've paid lots of attention to a checklist but may not be bothering to source good ingredients.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
the point is the scores are largely about box ticking and procedure, above and beyond actual hygene and certainly has little to nothing to do with quality or customer satisfaction. you'll be fooling yourself if you think a 4 or 5 is automatically better than a 3, it means they've paid lots of attention to a checklist but may not be bothering to source good ingredients.

If they dont pay a lot of attention to their status of hygiene that is then submitted for public scrutiny then it says all you really need to know about that restaurant/takeaway, you originally suggested that you could only get a 5 rating due the individual facility that clearly isnt true and you are now somehow suggesting that 2/3 rating might offer something more than a 4/5 rating.

We can never truly know each restaurants practices and whether it would deter or encourage us to use it, but it is the only tangible grading that at least offers an indication of good or bad practice, you can make as many convoluted excuses for a grading of 0,1,2 or 3 ratings but if you want to sell to me, fill in your forms, clean your work surfaces, source and store your food appropriately and tick those boxes.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If they dont pay a lot of attention to their status of hygiene that is then submitted for public scrutiny then it says all you really need to know about that restaurant/takeaway, you originally suggested that you could only get a 5 rating due the individual facility that clearly isnt true and you are now somehow suggesting that 2/3 rating might offer something more than a 4/5 rating.

We can never truly know each restaurants practices and whether it would deter or encourage us to use it, but it is the only tangible grading that at least offers an indication of good or bad practice, you can make as many convoluted excuses for a grading of 0,1,2 or 3 ratings but if you want to sell to me, fill in your forms, clean your work surfaces, source and store your food appropriately and tick those boxes.
...like McDonalds?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm not faffing about, it's a reality, a clean kitchen with good hygiene practices but no paperwork will lead to a low score as much as a dirty kitchen would.

I'm not trying to defend any 2 out of 5 establishment, I'm attempting to educate you :)

[h=3]bon appetit[/h]

A functioning business fulfils its duties and responsibilities especially if it then effects current and future customers perception of how hygienic or not you are.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This is the first and probably the last time i'll say this

I agree with BigGully :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here