Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The one I was going to throw in has already been mentioned, Corrigan, I would also add Keeley into the mix too.

John Keeley was my absolute favourite player at the time, and a top man, to boot. I actually found one of his match shirts in a drawer yesterday, from back in the day. He used to give me comps at away games, so I'm biased toward him.

Even WITH my bias toward him (great shot stopper though he was) he wasn't even close to Stockdale all-round.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
The one I was going to throw in has already been mentioned, Corrigan, I would also add Keeley into the mix too.

We really CAN'T forget Mark Beeney!!
He made the ultimate "Save" for Brighton and Hove Albion!
We were in financial shit street, and his sale to Leeds United saved the club :clap::bhasign:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Don't get me wrong Stockdale is a GREAT keeper, but Premier League quality? not in my opinion. And given the fact we've not met his contract demands, it seems Chris is of the same opinion?

Great goalkeepers =
Banks
Yashin
Zoff
Shilton
Schmeical
Buffon.
Hardly in that class, is he?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Will be missed for much more than his goalkeeping. An impressive young man who's conducted himself with dignity the whole way through his career here. Not only did we see his true colours after Shoreham but there's another story that it's only now appropriate to tell. In my son's football club one player in a younger age group was diagnosed with cancer, The club raised money to send the family on a much needed break and one of the committee tweeted Stockdale just to see if he'd RT the just giving link, Instead he offered to make up any shortfall himself.

We will also miss his kicking. His distribution is excellent. And the dressing room spirit everyone goes on about? He's an instrumental part of it. So those saying good riddance, I hope you can name a Premier League standard keeper who saves penalties, has excellent distribution, positive dressing room influence and community spirit because that's what we're losing.

As for yesterday some Brighton fans really need to have a word with themselves. Watch a replay as I have and Andy Naylor has and you will see Dunk's movement in front wrong foots him. It was just one of those things but when it happens to a keeper it almost always leads to a goal. No one mentioning his MAGNIFICENT stop from Hurihane that kept us in the game eh? It's just part of being a keeper. Pocognoli was far worse and should have cost us all three points in the first half, but because his school boy errors weren't straight in front of goal, and because Lansbury is shit, they didn't.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Great goalkeepers =
Banks
Yashin
Zoff
Shilton
Schmeical
Buffon.
Hardly in that class, is he?

You could make this argument with literally any player.

Knockaert is great.

He's not Messi or Ronaldo or Ginola or Kanchelskis or Overmars or Cruyff or Giggs.

Doesn't make him any less great.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Odd one for Stocks

Can't blame him but if he goes to Chelsea he is going there as their Niki Maempaa.

Headline may as well read - PROMOTION HERO GIVES UP FOOTBALL FOR MONEY.

Chelsea's 2nd choice keeper plays plenty of matches - even without the first choice suffering ANY injuries or suspensions, he'd still expect to play 15 games across LC / FAC and Champions League group games.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
more i think about it, the less i believe that a Championship player with a few dozen games in Premier League is seriously being considered by Chelsea as their reserve keeper. I can see other, mid to low table clubs being interested, but i dont see him as top four/Champions League ready.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You could make this argument with literally any player.

Knockaert is great.

He's not Messi or Ronaldo or Ginola or Kanchelskis or Overmars or Cruyff or Giggs.

Doesn't make him any less great.

100% agree with you. Unless, of course, Mo knows that we'll be signing Manuel Neuer.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
But thats what you expect from any professional keeper....flashes of brilliance and a lot of routine and solid saves. We all forgive the very occasional howler. It happens. But 3-4 times in a good season is too much and exposes flaws in focus and concentration. Yesterday was one of the worst BHA keeper errors I have seen in 50+ years. It was appalling and ultimately very costly.

Worse than Kuzsak putting the ball in his own net away at Forest in that final game of the season a couple of years back !!!
No way

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Players come and go
It's part of their lives and careers
It's only fans that stay loyal to their club for life
A man once told me that if the man across the road offers you a penny more then take it
It's his job and if I was him I would go anywhere for better money
Top keeper and a decent bloke and I wish him all the best and will always be part of our history and welcome back anytime

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That was Ankergren at Forest.

Kuszczak blundered v Birmingham in the same season.

Different seasons - Casper and Kuszczak BOTH chucked one in at Forest!

It was Kuszczak who made a shocker in the Ulloa one.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Decent Championship keeper improved massively under Ben Roberts coaching still prone to the odd blunder but you can say that about all keepers at any level. Good luck to him wherever he goes that double save against Wednesday was top draw and one we won't forget in a hurry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here