Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jermain Defoe

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess you have not watched Sunderland this season and last, he is one of the only players trying and has constantly done exactly that, where do you think he has got most of his goals from?

Why would anybody watch Sunderland? :lol:

Did I hear correctly the other day, they have won 94 matches in their 10 seasons of Premier League football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very possible - those points added with some draws would keep you safe each year

Yesterday I jotted this down this extreme example from a correspondent to The Football Ramble.

In the 2007/08 season Stoke got promoted to the Premier League, relegating Leicester to League 1.

Since then Stoke seasons have been:-

12, 11, 13, 14, 13, 9, 9, 9, probable 11.
Under Pulis & then Hughes.

Leicester seasons have been:-

Won Lg 1.
Won Championship.
Lost 2 play off semi's.
Escaped relegation.
Won Premier League.
1/4 finals of Champs League
Employed and sacked Sven, Pearson x 2, Ramieri.

Who's had the better 10 seasons?

Last edited:

Why would anybody watch Sunderland? :lol:

Did I hear correctly the other day, they have won 94 matches in their 10 seasons of Premier League football.

Because they support their team.

I regularly watched the Albion for many years when they were much crappier than Sunderland as I'm sure you have as have many on here.

Watching crappy teams that start winning things is much more rewarding than watching teams that win all the time. Supporting someone like Chelsea is all very well but you get depressed when you lose, even if that doesn't happen very often.

I remember days when we got excited when we won a throw in!

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Yesterday I jotted this down this extreme example from a correspondent to The Football Ramble.

In the 2007/08 season Stoke got promoted to the Premier League, relegating Leicester to League 1.

Since then Stoke seasons have been:-

12, 11, 13, 14, 13, 9, 9, 9, probable 11.
Under Pulis & then Hughes.

Leicester seasons have been:-

Won Lg 2.
Won Lg 1.
Lost 2 play off semi's.
Escape relegation.
Won Prem.
1/4 of Champs League
Employed and sacked Sven, Pearson x 2, Ramieri.

Who's had the better 10 seasons?

Leicester never dropped to league 2?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Leicester never dropped to league 2?
Good point well made, I went old skool for a minute.

Now back with the programme oh SkyTV overlords.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because they support their team.

I regularly watched the Albion for many years when they were much crappier than Sunderland as I'm sure you have as have many on here.

Watching crappy teams that start winning things is much more rewarding than watching teams that win all the time. Supporting someone like Chelsea is all very well but you get depressed when you lose, even if that doesn't happen very often.

I remember days when we got excited when we won a throw in!

I know hence the :lolol:, it wasn't a serious question to a Sunderland fan.

Although I've become quite obsessed with the 'need' to be in the Premier League, as I obviously project that forward.
From the outside looking in, it seems like the desire to be in the EPL has all but crippled the club with no obvious benefit.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Good point well made, I went old skool for a minute.

Now back with the programme oh SkyTV overlords.

To be fair, Since the re-branding of the top flight, the 2nd tier of English Football has gone from Division 2 to Division 1 to The Championship.

Can't we just call it what they change it to to save the confusion? They're only going to change it again in the next few years.

Miles above our pay structure. Miles.

What do you make of our chances of staying up next season if Sunderland and Bournemouth players are not on our radar. Greater or less than 50%? We should go into this totally realistic

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
They're only going to change it again in the next few years.

:lol: Will probably be (current Championship) Premier League next,Premier League (current) who knows? Might be called -The Emerald Elite League..

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
What do you make of our chances of staying up next season if Sunderland and Bournemouth players are not on our radar. Greater or less than 50%? We should go into this totally realistic

No one is saying that players from either of those or the two other relegated clubs shouldn't be on our radar, but there are players from those that will be setting their sights on joining a club that is either more established or can offer a better financial package. Most on here would probably love it if Gylfi Sigurðsson signed for us, but the reality is that he and players like Defoe will be looking more towards joining clubs that'll be in contention for European football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No one is saying that players from either of those or the two other relegated clubs shouldn't be on our radar, but there are players from those that will be setting their sights on joining a club that is either more established or can offer a better financial package. Most on here would probably love it if Gylfi Sigurðsson signed for us, but the reality is that he and players like Defoe will be looking more towards joining clubs that'll be in contention for European football.

Taking Gylfi as an example.
His 3 main transfers have roughly been £6m, £10m, £8m + Davies.

His next one is going to be the sweet spot, 27 years old, Premier League goal scorer etc.
I can't imagine him moving for less than £20m, and I think that's a conservative ballpark figure.

I can't see the benefit of signing the likes of GS, Defoe, Shane Long, et al, esp not to a squad already containing an 'ageing' strikeforce.

The club needs 2 strikers, 2 pieces of fresh meat, players who know one decent season and the world is their lobster.
If one has to be a loan, then so be it, but the other ought to be 21-25 years old, played to a high standard and not break the bank with a still eye watering (for the Albion), say, £8m transfer.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I know hence the :lolol:, it wasn't a serious question to a Sunderland fan.

Although I've become quite obsessed with the 'need' to be in the Premier League, as I obviously project that forward.
From the outside looking in, it seems like the desire to be in the EPL has all but crippled the club with no obvious benefit.

Completely agree with you - Leicester are a bit of an anomaly in all this, however the obsessive desire for Premiership football is not always all its cracked up to me. Looking forward to the Championship if I am honest

And for all those that say Defoe just isnt good enough or too old etc in this thread, see who scored today again

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Completely agree with you - Leicester are a bit of an anomaly in all this, however the obsessive desire for Premiership football is not always all its cracked up to me. Looking forward to the Championship if I am honest

And for all those that say Defoe just isnt good enough or too old etc in this thread, see who scored today again
My overarching point is, have you stayed too long in the Premier League, by your finger nails, to now be competitive in the Championship?

I don't think anyone of his detractors, on here, have said Defoe isn't good enough, or that he's too old.
My take on it is he's too old for our team, and far to expense, because his value is that of a player who is plenty good enough.

Had the Albion got promoted with an ageing back 5 and young dynamic front line, I'd be first in line to have Defoe's name on the back of my shirt. (if it weren't for the fact I'm a fat 40 something)

As it is my wish list contains someone who isn't John Terry, and a couple of almost proven young(ish) strikers.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
the other ought to be 21-25 years old, played to a high standard and not break the bank with a still eye watering (for the Albion), say, £8m transfer.

7d08c61b2d709938b94ed7a9b5afb694.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here