Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Roberts

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
In my bachelor days back in the noughties, maybe 2005, I got lucky one evening, and ended up back at a young ladies flat in Brunswick Square. Anyway, the next morning after some rather half hearted love making I was in the lounge having a nice cuppa tea, when who should stumble in from the other bedroom wearing the high heels of my "friends" flat mate? Yep, the great man in question had been matching me stroke for stroke in the room just next door!

Lovely bloke. Really down to earth and very funny. After he left managed to get the details from the flatmate. Apparently a very considerate lover. Not sure what the high heels were about though...

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I managed to speak to him at the open training day, and mentioned my favourite save at Bradford, when he was just on loan. He knew immediately which game I was talking about.

Wow.
The one where he tipped it up and over from down on the goal line?

I've long heralded that as the best save I've ever seen live. Have wondered if it got better over the years in my imagination but hopefully this justifies it.

Also, Zamora's winner that day... Miles over the line from our viewpoint!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
He was great in that 2004 play off winning season. That shoot out against Swindon was brilliant. Our penalties were all outstanding (and not just in a "keeper dived the other way" sense: most of them were unsaveable). And theirs- helped, I'm sure by the South Stand's incantation of "hit the bar, hit the bar, hit the bar" were pretty poor. Lovely stuff.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
In his post match interview Stockdale gave credit for the penalty save to Roberts.

Not dissimilar to one of the saves in the Swindon shoot-out. I think the one in question came off Roberts' arm, but it was the fact that even though he dived, he made himself big. This is something Stockdale does really well.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
One of my favourite games as a kid that was, if memory serves me right we won 1-0 didn't we?

We did. A Zamora goal as described below. The linesman was adamant it had crossed the line.

Wow.
The one where he tipped it up and over from down on the goal line?

I've long heralded that as the best save I've ever seen live. Have wondered if it got better over the years in my imagination but hopefully this justifies it.

Also, Zamora's winner that day... Miles over the line from our viewpoint!

Yes, but the Bradford fans were furious. It's the only time I've been assaulted at an away game. My other half and mate were walking just in front of me, and I was looking down reading the programme whilst sauntering up the road, when this woman deliberately shoulder barged me across the pavement. I managed to stay upright, but she'd scurried away. I wasn't hurt, but it shocked me.

The save was right below us, as the top tier was right over the goal so we could see the speed and movement in all it's glory. No, I don't think it has got better over the years. It was superb to start off with. The ground was still icy but the ref saw fit to allow it to be played.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oops - wrong thread.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
In my bachelor days back in the noughties, maybe 2005, I got lucky one evening, and ended up back at a young ladies flat in Brunswick Square. Anyway, the next morning after some rather half hearted love making I was in the lounge having a nice cuppa tea, when who should stumble in from the other bedroom wearing the high heels of my "friends" flat mate? Yep, the great man in question had been matching me stroke for stroke in the room just next door!

Lovely bloke. Really down to earth and very funny. After he left managed to get the details from the flatmate. Apparently a very considerate lover. Not sure what the high heels were about though...

:clap2:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Well at least one of the girls got lucky.

Ben Roberts always seemed a decent sort when he played for us. Very glad he's a central figure at the club now.

I thought he was a miracle worker during our play-off winning season. Can remember being so gutted when his back went so soon after

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
he was an utterly fantastic goalkeeper- the most talented of the Withdean era in my view

Without question.

FDM earned his place in Albion hearts, for sure - through commitment and desire, but in terms of talent, Roberts was head and shoulders above anyone else from that era.

NSC at its finest :clap2::clap2:

I thought he was a miracle worker during our play-off winning season. Can remember being so gutted when his back went so soon after

And now we know what was putting so much pressure on his back :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here