Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Proper Darts

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm really not a fan of sports having more than one World Championship. Like boxing, with their different organisations.

Other 'World' championships that annoy me - Baseball World Series, and Banger racing World Championships (40 drivers from the UK, 3 from Holland, 3 from Belgium....).

Saying that though, I did once have a 'Rubber Thimble Flicking World Championship' in my office, between myself and one person. I won!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had a debate with a bloke in a pub the other night. My assertion was that if these were "dry" events, where the crowd wasn't allowed to sit there drinking beer all night, then no bugger would turn up to watch it. Or at least not in anywhere near the numbers they get these days. He disagreed.

Personally I'd rather put a campfire out with my own FACE than spend an evening watching darts. But maybe that's just me.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
To be fair, after the absolute MORONIC fans at the PDC, I'm quite looking forward to this, even though the quality of most games will be sh1t

Agree... The PDC by far has the quality however the fans are just a bunch of drunken idiots. Half of them aren't even watching the darts. I prefer the atmosphere of the BDO.

The PDC is just a circus now albeit with incredible darts.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Agree... The PDC by far has the quality however the fans are just a bunch of drunken idiots. Half of them aren't even watching the darts. I prefer the atmosphere of the BDO.

The PDC is just a circus now albeit with incredible darts.

You could replace "PDC" with "PL" and "BDO" with "EFL" and make much the same points...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Looks like C4 have thrown a bit of money at their coverage, some expert pundits and some analysis on the flight, angle and speed of each darts players darts. Plus a fan cam to capture the unique Lakeside atmosphere.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I had a debate with a bloke in a pub the other night. My assertion was that if these were "dry" events, where the crowd wasn't allowed to sit there drinking beer all night, then no bugger would turn up to watch it. Or at least not in anywhere near the numbers they get these days. He disagreed.

Personally I'd rather put a campfire out with my own FACE than spend an evening watching darts. But maybe that's just me.

If there was no booze there would be no singing, no dressing up, less showmanship and rabble-rousing from the players so, yes, numbers would be significantly down, prize money would be down, the quality of darts would decrease, sponsorship revenue would decrease.

In order to have top, top quality darts in today's crowded sports TV market then having all of the crowd shenanigans is a necessary evil. The players know this, Barry Hearn knows this too, and going down this road has made the sport a big success in a relatively short period of time. Indeed, watching the sort of revelry that goes on in the PDC might make the spectacle more saleable to other overseas markets because the whole thing looks like a fun event.

I think the big issue is security, ie stage invasion and when the crown luzz stuff at the players and grab them at the walk-on. Here, Hearn is walking a tight line; in the final on Sunday MVG was going for a 115 checkout to win the title and some goon ran on stage and grabbed the trophy, presumably in the hope MVG would check out and the goon could 'present him with said trophy. Had MVG checked out all hell would have broken loose and the publicity would have been disastrous. Fortunately for Hearn, MVG messed up with his second dart then lost the leg and the set before regaining his composure. Again, if Anderson had kicked on from that point and won then it would have made darts and Hearn look amateurish.

If he doesn't improve security at these big matches then there will be issues.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Looks like C4 have thrown a bit of money at their coverage, some expert pundits and some analysis on the flight, angle and speed of each darts players darts. Plus a fan cam to capture the unique Lakeside atmosphere.

where did you glean that from? Link please if possible...

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've long since laughed at the BDO and its amateur hour organisation and crap darts epitomised by the crowning of Tony David who had a disability in his throwing hand as 'Champion of the world' The PDC, however, has turned into your worst crowd nightmare. Van Gerwen V Barney was one of the best darts matches you will ever see and the crowd are singing that Yaya / Kolo Toure song which is about as irrelevant as you can get when to 2 X Dutch men are throwing arrows at a board. So take your choice. Sit in silence and watch Martin throw 26 or go to the darts, not watch a thing but sing 'Boring Boring Tables' all afternoon in a Mr Incredibles outfit.

One thing is for sure, If I was PM, I'd pass a law that anyone caught singing the Yaya / Kolo Toure song would have their voice boxes ripped out.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I've long since laughed at the BDO and its amateur hour organisation and crap darts epitomised by the crowning of Tony David who had a disability in his throwing hand as 'Champion of the world' The PDC, however, has turned into your worst crowd nightmare. Van Gerwen V Barney was one of the best darts matches you will ever see and the crowd are singing that Yaya / Kolo Toure song which is about as irrelevant as you can get when to 2 X Dutch men are throwing arrows at a board. So take your choice. Sit in silence and watch Martin throw 26 or go to the darts, not watch a thing but sing 'Boring Boring Tables' all afternoon in a Mr Incredibles outfit.

One thing is for sure, If I was PM, I'd pass a law that anyone caught singing the Yaya / Kolo Toure song would have their voice boxes ripped out.

This.

Can I add that godawful 'don't take me home' chant to the collective laryngectomy at the People's Palace?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This.

Can I add that godawful 'don't take me home' chant to the collective laryngectomy at the People's Palace?

God I forgot about that. In the Peoples republic of Piggle that would also be an offence punishable by death.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I take your point, but I think the loud atmosphere is infectious and the roars following a big checkout, 180 or 9-darter attempt definitely get the players' adrenalin going. Sunday's final had two popular players going toe to toe, the noise was constant and they ended up breaking the record for most 180s even though there was only 10 out of a possible 13 sets.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think the BDO is a pleasant watch.

What gets me is the insistence by the BDO itself and the TV networks who show it that its a "world championship" as a means of justifying their financial outlay.

It just isn't. Please stop insulting our intelligence by implying these are the best darts players in the world when you have MvG and RvB throwing highest ever match averages in the PDC. Accept it as a feeder event or even give it another name but the World Championship?????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here