Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In praise of (the surprisingly quiet) David Stockdale

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's barely getting a menton this season, but let's talk about David...

With the back four in front of him so superlative, Stockdale often has long periods in games where he barely gets a touch. Despite that however, he still does what is required when called upon.
I like to think that I'm a bit like Stockdale.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Every game without fail around 70mins he'll pull off a worldie to keep our sheets clean. (Obviously not every but come on).

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Really? I know one that went straight out but his kicking is actually very good.

You might want to look at how many times his kicking gives the opposition the ball back without any effort on their part. People used to moan about FDM and his kicking. Stockdale isn't much better. Today, he had an opportunity to roll it wide to Bruno but decided to wait a few seconds before launching it-straight to a QPR player.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You might want to look at how many times his kicking gives the opposition the ball back without any effort on their part. People used to moan about FDM and his kicking. Stockdale isn't much better. Today, he had an opportunity to roll it wide to Bruno but decided to wait a few seconds before launching it-straight to a QPR player.

Seriously? I think you are the one who needs to look at his kicking. His kicking is so far ahead of FDM it is ridiculous to compare them.

As for the point of this thread, he has been great this season. You don't keep 14 clean sheets in the first half of the season without being a superb keeper (and I realise that the defence has been amazing too).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

At that point we had sustained a long period of time where we were second best and were struggling to get the ball out of defence. Yes Bruno was free but he chose to calm things down and give everybody a chance to breath for a few seconds and get reorganised.

IMO he is second only to Dunk for long pass execution excellence, he made one error today when he kicked to out to touch but on the whole is distribution is the best I have ever seen from an Albion keeper.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If the definition is excellent means often into touch and to QPR players then I totally agree with you.

Don't get me wrong, couple of amazing saves today, but the weakness in his game is kicking.

Excellent means the best distribution from a keeper in this league. He sliced one into touch today with an awkward ball while being pressured. This is something that most keepers do in this league a couple times a game, as smithies displayed.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
For quite a few games now he has made two or three excellent saves a game. And it's been a while since he "could have done better" with a goal. Add best distribution in the division and you have a player having a brilliant season.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
He's been a fabulous aquistition for the club. And surprised there's criticism of his kicking, that's a department I've always felt he is very good at.....can't please everyone, I suppose.:shrug:

S

smileyweb

I'm sure does work on his (excellent) kicking

Today, as usual, he was out 15-20 mins before the rest of the squad doing just that in his warm-up with Ben Roberts and Nicky Maanpaa.

Had a long spell kicking balls up to around the half-way line, alternating between left and right-footed kicks - some dead balls, some moving.

Can't believe anyone expects his kicking - or every pass from an outfield player - to be 100% perfect across 90 mins of football.

Granted, that one he skied in the south-west corner was a shocker - but if that's all we have to moan about, we should be pretty happy with that. :)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I felt earlier on in the season he wasn't at his best. However, today he was well and truly back. Commanded his area, made two crucial saves and then a further good save towards the end.

Even the cross he juggled lightly was good as he stuck to his decision in going for it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Won... check
Top of the league... check
Clean sheet... check
Find a Brighton player to have a moan about... check
Just another week at NSC... check

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Today, as usual, he was out 15-20 mins before the rest of the squad doing just that in his warm-up with Ben Roberts and Nicky Maanpaa.

Had a long spell kicking balls up to around the half-way line, alternating between left and right-footed kicks - some dead balls, some moving.

Can't believe anyone expects his kicking - or every pass from an outfield player - to be 100% perfect across 90 mins of football.

Granted, that one he skied in the south-west corner was a shocker - but if that's all we have to moan about, we should be pretty happy with that. :)

I was sat close to that and the ball took a clear bobble off a divot as he connected. Not his fault.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good distribution. Good shot stopper. Sometimes a bit indecisive when dealing with set pieces. Very happy overall and our defensive record speaks for itself. On the rare occasion that the back four are breached, Stockdale usually manages to handle the situation.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

You've nailed it again Normski :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here