Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gap Year

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Nothing infuriates me more than when people go on a gap yeah with no plan.

So you've delayed your studies for a year? Presumably know what you're doing at uni? Then why not get some work experience or a job for your chosen field?

If not, at least go travelling and broaden your horizons. Nothing worse than people who just sit on their backside for a year

Disagree with this. Why does it infuriate people that a young lad has the audacity to be unsure of his future? Baffling. I took a gap year 9 years ago without any idea of what I wanted to do. I ended up spending it working in an enjoyable job for a rather difficult boss. Cliche-tastic, I know, but I did genuinely learn a lot about myself. Over the course of the year, I changed my mind about which course I wanted to do (good decision as I ended up studying it to MA), and when I rocked up at Uni the following year I felt much more comfortable dealing with the social side of things.

Of course the OP could do something to contribute to their future career but if at the age of (presumably) 18 you think you have your career trajectory mapped out, then there might be some surprises coming your way. The way I see it, things are rather tricky for young people these days, and for that reason I would advise you to do what you think is best for you. Again, apologies for being very cliched and rather simplistic, but don't feel you have to subscribe to the societal pressures that implore you to 'climb the ladder' or 'sort out your career'. I have ended up in a very different place to where I might have done career-wise, and much of this is down to confidence and having belief in what I do. If there is a career you truly want to pursue then go for it, but if you're a bit unsure, try and do something you enjoy and that can be productive at the same time. Alternatively, get a full-time job and spend all your money on drugs.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Disagree with this. Why does it infuriate people that a young lad has the audacity to be unsure of his future? Baffling. I took a gap year 9 years ago without any idea of what I wanted to do. I ended up spending it working in an enjoyable job for a rather difficult boss. Cliche-tastic, I know, but I did genuinely learn a lot about myself. Over the course of the year, I changed my mind about which course I wanted to do (good decision as I ended up studying it to MA), and when I rocked up at Uni the following year I felt much more comfortable dealing with the social side of things.

Of course the OP could do something to contribute to their future career but if at the age of (presumably) 18 you think you have your career trajectory mapped out, then there might be some surprises coming your way. The way I see it, things are rather tricky for young people these days, and for that reason I would advise you to do what you think is best for you. Again, apologies for being very cliched and rather simplistic, but don't feel you have to subscribe to the societal pressures that implore you to 'climb the ladder' or 'sort out your career'. I have ended up in a very different place to where I might have done career-wise, and much of this is down to confidence and having belief in what I do. If there is a career you truly want to pursue then go for it, but if you're a bit unsure, try and do something you enjoy and that can be productive at the same time. Alternatively, get a full-time job and spend all your money on drugs.

Hahahaaha thankyou very much (especially the last line).

This is pretty much my outlook. I know what I am doing at uni as I already have the place- however I am not doing the course with the intention of a dream job, more just because I'm really interested in it.

I'm 19, been working for 3 years already so thats given me ideas of what I do and don't want to do. Don't apologise for the cliches lol they're true.

Again, thanks very much.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Hahahaaha thankyou very much (especially the last line).

This is pretty much my outlook. I know what I am doing at uni as I already have the place- however I am not doing the course with the intention of a dream job, more just because I'm really interested in it.

I'm 19, been working for 3 years already so thats given me ideas of what I do and don't want to do. Don't apologise for the cliches lol they're true.

Again, thanks very much.

You are very welcome

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
This hasn't crossed my mind as an option before but it sounds very interesting. Do you mind if I pm you later, after work, for more information?

No worries, i am not in Kenya anymore but can put you in touch with the right people. We had several gap year students come to help out at the schools for a term or two. Free accommodation and a small wage each month (I mean small by the way but it is cheap to live).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Some wise words in this post.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yep i'm with skibound

Thought so, I've worked and lived in all of those resorts for SkiBound, or First Choice as they were back then. I set off in 2001 to do one winter season, 9 winters later I had more unbelievable memories than I could have ever dreamed of, met some amazing people and gained some lifelong friends. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially someone your age :thumbsup:
It might be possible that I could make some inquiries to see where you are on the reserve list, if that's of any help?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm on my gap year at the moment but have no real clue of what to do. I'm looking for something to do over the summer months (don't want to miss the end of the season) but need more ideas.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Go to Australia tomorrow, enjoy the summer, work at a Ski Resort in Victoria through their winter, back to Uni next year.
Or fly out to Calgary, get right into work here and get some snowboarding/skiing in. Head to Vancouver for summer.

I'm 8 years into my gap year, working a ski season in Alberta.
-25 at the moment. Good stuff.

Dec 29, 2011
Go to Australia tomorrow, enjoy the summer, work at a Ski Resort in Victoria through their winter, back to Uni next year.
Or fly out to Calgary, get right into work here and get some snowboarding/skiing in. Head to Vancouver for summer.

I'm 8 years into my gap year, working a ski season in Alberta.
-25 at the moment. Good stuff.
Genuine question, I would love to work around the world in random 'low skilled' jobs but I feel that at 30 I'd start to feel like my life wasn't heading towards anything. How do you keep out of this mindset and just take every year as it comes?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Beach?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Genuine question, I would love to work around the world in random 'low skilled' jobs but I feel that at 30 I'd start to feel like my life wasn't heading towards anything. How do you keep out of this mindset and just take every year as it comes?

Good question.

I'm 28. I've had various jobs all over the world, some crap, some great.
I did have a couple of years where my mind was starting to take over and start to fear for the future; "I should be doing this/that/the other", "should settle down", "should buy a house and have a proper career" etc.

In all honesty, I genuinely like not knowing where my life is heading.
I like not knowing where I'll be in 3 months, who I'll be travelling with, or who I'll meet.
There's definitely an element of fear or anxiety, but that's minimal. Most of it is just excitement.

I'm sure one day, no idea when, I'll start to tire down or most likely meet someone serious and look at settling down or whatever.
But I've done 4-5 years in a career (nothing compared to most), and I hated it. I hated being confined to one place for a long time.
I love to be able to just pick up and leave if/when I want, selfish I admit.

I come home every once and a while, I was actually back home for 6 weeks at the end of summer (during a bit of a life wobble mentioned above), got sick of it within 48 hours and made plans to leave again.

The only real genuine negatives for me living this 'nomadic' (I guess?) lifestyle, is a few friends back in Brighton, not being able to play as much football as I want, and missing a lot of the Albion.
If things look good towards the end of the season, I'll definitely be back for the last couple of games, but I'm sure I'll be off again swiftly.

So, a long answer to your question, apologies.
Quick answer; it has played on my mind from time to time, but the overwhelming majority of the time, I'm happy to explore and not know where I'm headed.
There's plenty of time when I'm a bit older to sit around and settle for the ordinary.

Edit: Ask again in 3 years! At 31, the visa options that I'm interested in become unavailable, and I'll have to make some serious decisions by then, if not before!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

There is your issue, stop thinking that your life always has to be heading somewhere specific. As long as you are enjoying it and getting by then what does it matter, I turn 40 next year and am planning a year off, will mean I drop down the career ladder and probably need to start again lower down but so what? I will have had a year off travelling, as someone once said, travel is the only thing you invest in that does not devalue.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Good question.

I did have a couple of years where my mind was starting to take over and start to fear for the future; "I should be doing this/that/the other", "should settle down", "should buy a house and have a proper career" etc.

I like not knowing where I'll be in 3 months, who I'll be travelling with, or who I'll meet.
There's definitely an element of fear or anxiety, but that's minimal. Most of it is just excitement.

I'm sure one day, no idea when, I'll start to tire down or most likely meet someone serious and look at settling down or whatever.
But I've done 4-5 years in a career (nothing compared to most), and I hated it. I hated being confined to one place for a long time.

I come home every once and a while, I was actually back home for 6 weeks at the end of summer (during a bit of a life wobble mentioned above), got sick of it within 48 hours and made plans to leave again.

The only real genuine negatives for me living this 'nomadic' (I guess?) lifestyle, is a few friends back in Brighton, not being able to play as much football as I want, and missing a lot of the Albion.
If things look good towards the end of the season, I'll definitely be back for the last couple of games, but I'm sure I'll be off again swiftly.

Quick answer; it has played on my mind from time to time, but the overwhelming majority of the time, I'm happy to explore and not know where I'm headed.
There's plenty of time when I'm a bit older to sit around and settle for the ordinary.

Edit: Ask again in 3 years! At 31, the visa options that I'm interested in become unavailable, and I'll have to make some serious decisions by then, if not before!

This is EXACTLY how I feel and I am ten years older that you mate. There have been various points in my life where I have started to think 'I need to settle down'........I then realised that is not what I wanted at all but that is what society expects of you. So many people fall into the trap of monotony because they are convinced that is what you are meant to do. Do not get me wrong, for some people that is fantastic and they love it but for me, nah, I like to gamble and seek adventure and the excitement of a new challenge. In the last 5 years I moved to Kenya, travelled to around 30 new countries, moved to Madrid in August, trying to learn Spanish (badly) and continue to thrive on the thrill of new adventures, I am already making plans for nexy year, I do not know what yet but I will hand my notice in and see what comes up!

It is a bank holiday in Spain tomorrow and Friday so I have just booked to fly to Bucharest. New country and early flight so need to get some kip! Night all :)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Good question.

This is EXACTLY how I feel and I am ten years older that you mate. There have been various points in my life where I have started to think 'I need to settle down'........I then realised that is not what I wanted at all but that is what society expects of you. So many people fall into the trap of monotony because they are convinced that is what you are meant to do. Do not get me wrong, for some people that is fantastic and they love it but for me, nah, I like to gamble and seek adventure and the excitement of a new challenge. In the last 5 years I moved to Kenya, travelled to around 30 new countries, moved to Madrid in August, trying to learn Spanish (badly) and continue to thrive on the thrill of new adventures, I am already making plans for nexy year, I do not know what yet but I will hand my notice in and see what comes up!

It is a bank holiday in Spain tomorrow and Friday so I have just booked to fly to Bucharest. New country and early flight so need to get some kip! Night all :)

Dec 29, 2011
Good question.

Great answer, it all hit so close to home because I'm currently at the stage you were at when you were working a career job. My biggest fears about being 'nomadic' are growing apart from close friends I have in Brighton and also getting to 40 and thinking 'shit, I should have worked harder in my life to secure an easier future for myself'. That being said, I like your answer and I'll heed the advice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here