Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Most Complete Album

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good points. I think the Black album was the next big stepping stone and gained them a whole new audience. I find it strange that many hardcore cans decry it as the start of the 'sell out'. But for that album their career might have stalled badly on the back of And Justice For All album. It ci gained a few gems like One & Blackened but was seriously undermined by the awful production and lack of audible bass in the mix. The simpler arrangements, crisper production and catchy hook lines of the Black album took them to the next level just as MOP moved them on firmly from the redness of Kill Em All.

Are you seeing them on the Hardwired UK tour?

Fair point about the career possibly stalling. And I find the sell-out claim a cheap shot to be honest. Do you remember in the Gillingham days when Brighton's general manager was an ex- music industry guy called Nick Rowe? I met him for a few beers one evening and we spoke about his time as the product manager (I think this was the title) for Metallica s Black Album. He told me that Lars is quite a character, and had a huge vision about what he wanted Metallica to be and where he wanted them to go. He was also utterly focused and determined on what he wanted the Black album to be and what he wanted it to achieve with it. They wanted to be huge, and for everyone to know Metallica, but they always wanted to remain as Metallica. Putting such a grand vision into effect and pulling it off is admirable imho. I think we should all celebrate this sort of attitude in music....not criticise it. And if you don't like it just listen to something else; there's way too much good music out there to dwell on something you don't like.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There's quite a range there. What is your type of music, classical?!

:lolol:

Ok I have a fairly wide taste but I don't have any prog rock apart from Dark Side and Gracelands is the only Paul Simon I own. The thing I had most of in the 90s was house, followed by indie. These days probably more funk soul & jazz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Fair point about the career possibly stalling. And I find the sell-out claim a cheap shot to be honest. Do you remember in the Gillingham days when Brighton's general manager was an ex- music industry guy called Nick Rowe? I met him for a few beers one evening and we spoke about his time as the product manager (I think this was the title) for Metallica s Black Album. He told me that Lars is quite a character, and had a huge vision about what he wanted Metallica to be and where he wanted them to go. He was also utterly focused and determined on what he wanted the Black album to be and what he wanted it to achieve with it. They wanted to be huge, and for everyone to know Metallica, but they always wanted to remain as Metallica. Putting such a grand vision into effect and pulling it off is admirable imho. I think we should all celebrate this sort of attitude in music....not criticise it. And if you don't like it just listen to something else; there's way too much good music out there to dwell on something you don't like.

Must admit I have nothing but admiration for the drive of James & Lars in achieving what they have. However, as personalities i'm not madly keen. I thought they had a really valid point about Napster but went about it just a little heavy handed. On the back of the abomination that was St Anger I also hated the Some King of Monster documentary. I thought it was self absorbed navel gazing rubbish. My heart wasn't bleeding for poor old multi millionaire alcoholic James shooting bears and downing vodka in Russia or wherever. I also suspect Lars suffers a bit from short bloke syndrome. The highlight of the film was actually the bass auditions which of course Robert was the clear winner.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel
Gang of Four - Entertainment
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief
Steely Dan - Aja

There are two cracking albums on this list.
On a different note, Sgt Peppers probably is the complete album, but it's nowhere near as good as Abbey Road in my book which is marred by Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Octopus' Garden. Closer and Unknown Pleasures are both right up there for me too, although Still really isn't up to much.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
(I think) my favourite album of the 00s and (so far) of this decade are Forever Emma by Bon Iver and Eliminator by Ty Segall. I'm not so sure they've been mentioned on this thread, but both deserve a go.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Hip-Hop

UK
The Streets - Original Pirate Material
The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free
Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner
J Hus - Common Sense (AOTY for me)
Ed Sheeran - No.5 Collaborations Project (yes, really)

US
Kanye West - College Dropout
Kanye West - Late Registrations
Nas - Illmatic
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.A.A.d City (Most complete album ever, imo)
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 3
Cubbiebear - The Rape
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Lupe Fiasco - Lupe Fiasco's The Cool.

Rock
Artctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm not.
Balance and Composure - Separation
Yuck - Yuck
Jamie T - Carry On The Grudge
Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me
Yellowcard - Southern Air
Paramore - Paramore

Misc
Frank Ocean - Nostalgia/Ultra
Ghostpoet - Peanut Butter Blues & Melancholy Jam
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Chase & Status - No More Idols
Fatboy Slim - Half Way Between The Gutter And The Stars.

Every song at least a 7/10 IMO.
Gnarls Barkley - St.Elshewere

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just watched the George Michael prog - if none of us mentioned "Listen Without Prejudice" then we were remiss.

Not only are there no dud tracks - every one of them is superb.

1. "Praying for Time"
2. "Freedom '90"
3. "They Won't Go When I Go" (co-written by Stevie Wonder)
4. "Something to Save"
5. "Cowboys and Angels"
6. "Waiting for That Day" (co-written by Jagger)
7. "Mother's Pride"
8. "Heal the Pain"
9. "Soul Free"
10. "Waiting (Reprise)"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here