Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Premier League broadcast revenue works

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Was listening to Radio 5 Live earlier and they spoke to their football finance expert. It was NOT [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]. Has he been sacked?

It was Rob Wilson, with whom I am presently putting together an article on the TV rights distribution. Rob and I tend to split the work between us.

I was on hold for an interview with Dan Roan in relation to the Premier League Big 6, but it wasn't broadcast as the PL chairmen didn't make a final decision.

On a separate issue, what have Ipswich Town, Everton, Derby County, Blackburn Rovers, Nottingham Forest, Everton, Aston Villa, Leicester City and Leeds United have in common?

They have all been English Football League Champions since 'Big 6' Tottenham Hotspurs were last champions themselves. #JustSaying

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So if you're a club in the Championship, L1 or L2, looking up at this impending wealth divide, you're going to get a hell of a cricked neck :shrug:
It's money mad!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Having spent so long in the lower leagues we are painfully aware of the yawning (and widening) chasm between the Premier League and the rest, but it's the staleness, or perhaps lack of magic in the Premier League itself that is most striking to me. What IS the maximum we can look to achieve here? This season it's simply survival, but (on the proviso that we DO survive) what then? Is the prospect of fighting Stoke for 12th place something to get us excited.

Let's face it football is broken and the Big 6 are only trying to make it worse.
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] linked to a great blog on twitter that sums it up beautifully and starkly.

http://thehlist.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/the-questions-they-dont-want-you-to-ask.html

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It was Rob Wilson, with whom I am presently putting together an article on the TV rights distribution. Rob and I tend to split the work between us.

I was on hold for an interview with Dan Roan in relation to the Premier League Big 6, but it wasn't broadcast as the PL chairmen didn't make a final decision.

On a separate issue, what have Ipswich Town, Everton, Derby County, Blackburn Rovers, Nottingham Forest, Everton, Aston Villa, Leicester City and Leeds United have in common?

They have all been English Football League Champions since 'Big 6' Tottenham Hotspurs were last champions themselves. #JustSaying

Oh well that's ok then - I was slightly concerned that there was some sort of scandal about to hit the headlines concerning a financial analyst and the 'Big 6' female BBC tv/radio sports presenters.

That H list article sums up the situation very well. Why would any club outside the Big 6 support the Big 6 in this ridiculous scheme?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
20 years ago Top Six was Top 2. MU and Ars were what it was all about.

Then Abramovich arrived, and it became top 3

Then Sheik Mansour arrived and it became top 4.

Then Totingham had a good season, and Arsenal became not so good, top 5

Liverpool mucking around on fringes makes a top 6? Really?

Point is that things change. Arsenal as arguably a top 6 team, used to be top 2. If the same proposals at "top 2" stage had been "supported" by ARS then now, then they too would be flushed down the toilet. Parish is not voting for it (now). Structure of football finance cannot be governed by snapshot in time - it has to be for the good of the game. We have fought it through the Championship and managed to beat the Parachute Payment teams, and made it to the Premier, and now we face another potential hurdle where teams in a league face being out muscled by others with more cash

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Oh well that's ok then - I was slightly concerned that there was some sort of scandal about to hit the headlines concerning a financial analyst and the 'Big 6' female BBC tv/radio sports presenters.

That H list article sums up the situation very well. Why would any club outside the Big 6 support the Big 6 in this ridiculous scheme?

The Big 6 don't want more money for themselves, they do however want the 'Other 14' to have less money. The B6 would quite happily insist on lower ticket prices, for example, as this would impact on the O14 to a greater extent than the large clubs. Similarly the B6 would not be opposed to Football League clubs having more money from the overall pot, as it would weaken the O14.

This is because, unlike the other large European countries (Germany, Italy, France, Spain) the buying power of the O14 has meant they can recruit decent players, and there are no easy games left in the EPL (apart from against Palace). Barcelona, Real, Bayern etc do have matches in their divisions which are guaranteed victories, and so their players do not have to give 100% during these matches. This is not the case in the PL (Burnley beat Chelsea on first day of season for example).

The B6 believe that a weaker O14 would mean their players are less fatigued, and they would do better in European competitions as a result.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here