[Football] Safe Standing update

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
They would remove the seats in put in rail seating where the seats are locked upright

_90420708_safestanding.jpg

Ta

So you can sit if you want say half time? and stand. That look arguably safer than the current status quo IMO, you aint gonna topple over into the row in front of you

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Ta

So you can sit if you want say half time? and stand. That look arguably safer than the current status quo IMO, you aint gonna topple over into the row in front of you

Exactamundo.jpg

Great point. There is nothing 'arguable' about the safety aspect. Fans standing in seating areas is a H&S nightmare, as you have a knee high barrier protecting you from toppling forward. It's completely un-safe, but tolerated by every club in the league - if not for sections of home fans, then most certainly for away fans who do what they like when it comes to standing/sitting. Fulham away? It's a complete no-brainer from a safety point of view. Shame the events of Hillsborough let do a completely wrong assumption regarding standing fans/terraces that resulted in the all-seater legislation otherwise we would probably have had it incorporated into the original design of the Amex.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
The North needs a blatant rejig and this would be the best way to do it.

Agreed. And what was this about a forum? Is this one of those "Leeds new badge" or "West Ham's move to the Olympic stadium" events where a low-key, controlled (or in the case of WHU downright biased) 'fan research' exercise is carried out where the result is what the club wants it to be?

And no I'm really not having a go at the club, just asking the question. It's extremely probable that the we haven't got a majority in favour. Doesn't hurt to keep the issue live tho'.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I appear to have misunderstood this part.

View attachment 93945

Out of shear interest, would people be prepared to pay more for their ticket to use a safe standing spot/seat ? That way the people that want it could fund it over a period of time. I like sitting down nowadays but I might have been willing to pay more to stand in the past.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Ta

No, the seats are locked in place for the duration of the match.

I believe that German clubs have a 1.5 ratio for fans to seats but the concourse and/or facilities at the Amex aren't big enough to take 50% more fans (customers). That's my recollection, I could be wrong.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
No, the seats are locked in place for the duration of the match.

I believe that German clubs have a 1.5 ratio for fans to seats but the concourse and/or facilities at the Amex aren't big enough to take 50% more fans (customers). That's my recollection, I could be wrong.

Sure I heard the same that it’s largely the vomitory aren’t wide enough to safely allow people to leave the stand. So if they wanted more than like for like they’d have to make big holes in the stand to allow it. I’m not sure it’s possible or affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I seem to have to safe stand at every away game I go to

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I stand at all the aways and happy to do so, whilst if people wish to do so at home then they should foot (sorry) the bill.

So anything you don't personally enjoy about the feel and atmosphere of the stadium, you shouldn't have to contribute towards? Rather than just seeing the whole Tony Bloom project as an "all in"?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Personal indulgences, whether it be safe standing or eating Nigella's meringue followed by a Happy Ending during the game are individual choices, and not part of the match day experience

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Still baffles me how some people can be so against safe standing. It's much more safe than standing in seated areas.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Personal indulgences, whether it be safe standing or eating Nigella's meringue followed by a Happy Ending during the game are individual choices, and not part of the match day experience

So the coloured lighting in the away end, the guest ales on that week, the guest pie, the choice of songs that week, all of that is optionally added or deducted to the price of your ticket? Blimey. I'm guessing you also would've chosen a non-padded seat, to save money...

Grand Scheme of things, it's unlikely to affect your season ticket cost one iota, so I don't see the issue.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Where did you see this?

The only thing I heard was that not many people responded to the email and not very many people turned up to the forum (I didn't even know there was one).

The issue is, a large part of the North (where it will potentially be installed) already stand. So they're not likely to be negative about it are they? Neither are they going to make much effort to campaign for something they already do every other week.

As for the rest of the ground, it's no real business of theirs unless they a) plan on moving to a more passionate section or b) prices will be increased across the board to fund it.

I see absolutely no reason to oppose safe-standing other than for some people who maybe shouldn't be in the North in the first place. I realise this statement may cause some faux outrage by those who, well, love to be outraged by anything particularly when an area is set off-limits to them. But there has to be somewhere in the ground that has cheaper pricing and to be (legally) able to stand there, sing and be active which is what the younger generation like and some of us not so young too.

I'm sorry, when did the North Stand become designated more passionate than other fans. Frankly the old school holier than the rest of the stadium North Standers are finally beginning to really piss me off!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So the coloured lighting in the away end, the guest ales on that week, the guest pie, the choice of songs that week, all of that is optionally added or deducted to the price of your ticket? Blimey. I'm guessing you also would've chosen a non-padded seat, to save money...

Grand Scheme of things, it's unlikely to affect your season ticket cost one iota, so I don't see the issue.

Where do I start? Guest lighting, ales and pies are all incoming generating factors.
The padded seats, a welcome bonus.
We make a fair old noise in our bit without having purpose built standing bars, and usually the same tune en mass to boot.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm sorry, when did the North Stand become designated more passionate than other fans. Frankly the old school holier than the rest of the stadium North Standers are finally beginning to really piss me off!

I sit in the West.

I have absolutely no problem admitting the North stand more passionatly supports the albion on match days than the stand in which I reside. Strange that you do, but typical that is the only thing taken from my post... a bit of outrage that our boisterous fans are deemed more passionate.. ffs :facepalm:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Agreed. And what was this about a forum? Is this one of those "Leeds new badge" or "West Ham's move to the Olympic stadium" events where a low-key, controlled (or in the case of WHU downright biased) 'fan research' exercise is carried out where the result is what the club wants it to be?

And no I'm really not having a go at the club, just asking the question. It's extremely probable that the we haven't got a majority in favour. Doesn't hurt to keep the issue live tho'.

The club has never bought into the concept of "safe standing". See the following extract from club statement from 2012:

"The club does not support any move for “safe standing” in football stadia and is not considering such a move for the American Express Community Stadium."

I was unaware that there was a forum (as seems to be the case with many others here) and I therefore think your conclusion is likely to be spot on!

I think there would certainly be sufficient support to fill a safe standing area although the idea that one person standing takes up the same space as one person sitting doesn't really make much sense. The 1:1.5 ratio appears to be a more realistic appraisal of the available space.

You don't need a majority of fans / STHs to be in favour! You just need to know that you could sell the safe standing area. If we apply the 1:1.5 model that's increased capacity and therefore extra revenue.

What's not to like?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I sit in the West.

I have absolutely no problem admitting the North stand more passionatly supports the albion on match days than the stand in which I reside. Strange that you do, but typical that is the only thing taken from my post... a bit of outrage that our boisterous fans are deemed more passionate.. ffs :facepalm:

Funny, always had you down as a North Stander, sorry. But I do resent the suggestion that North Standers are more passionate fans than I am, so I guess I take it personally. I''m in the West too and the fans around me are passionate and noisy like me. Singing a dopey song every now and again like 'Stand up if you hate Palace', which nobody stands up for, is no more passionate than me, Mrs Earle and surrounding fans singing, chanting, yelling abuse and, yes, standing at exciting moments. The North stand doesn't have a monopoly on passion for the Albion.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here