Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer Budget 2017/18

What will be our gross spending on transfers come September?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
20-30M I expect...

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
20-30M I expect...

I reckoned around 40-50 million, but it's all ridiculous sums of money in the end...in fairness we have already spent 3 million and no one raised an eyebrow, where as only a year ago Duffy signing of 4 million was our new record!

Just waiting for us to spend 10-15 on a player and then it will certainly be the start of a very new era... I simply cannot believe that this will not happen now as we are finally in the PL and its key to be competitive...

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I was told that Tony Bloom is hell bent on staying in the PL and is willing to spend his money to achieve this. He doesn't want to go down next year or be a yo-yo club. The PL is where he wants BHA to stay. So if that means spending big he will do just that. How much is anybody's guess.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
It's not really a transfer budget though. There's a combined pot for signings plus wages.

Dale Stephens renewing his contract has saved at least £10million, David Stockdale signing would save at least £5m etc

Which last season was £27m and includes player amortisation right, so a £10m purchase, plus wages of say £6m over the life of a 4 year contract would be deducted @ £4m per season from this amount?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Which last season was £27m and includes player amortisation right, so a £10m purchase, plus wages of say £6m over the life of a 4 year contract would be deducted @ £4m per season from this amount?

Yes that's right. No idea how the Albion produce their budget. It could be wages + amortisation - gain on player disposals or it could be wages + net transfer spend.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was told that Tony Bloom is hell bent on staying in the PL and is willing to spend his money to achieve this. He doesn't want to go down next year or be a yo-yo club. The PL is where he wants BHA to stay. So if that means spending big he will do just that. How much is anybody's guess.

I think that's right.

Statements were made in April playing down transfers in expectations. Good PR, making later acquisitions all positive news.

Like any sensible club (not Man City or Chelsea), they will look for value from overseas based players. But I would assume that the club would spend big for say a 'match winner'.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I think that's right.

Statements were made in April playing down transfers in expectations. Good PR, making later acquisitions all positive news.

Like any sensible club (not Man City or Chelsea), they will look for value from overseas based players. But I would assume that the club would spend big for say a 'match winner'.

That's the way I understood it as well. How much is big money for a match winner? 10m? I put 10-20m in the poll, I still can't see us spending more than that total.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The other question is how much will TB recoup? Estimate is we earn £170m but that is, I believe, just tv rights. There will be more from enhanced advertising revenue, probably shirt sponsor bonus etc etc

TB could probably recoup £50m a year and we'd still have a very healthy budget for the squad!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bounced.

after Huddersfield went on a spending spree*. I voted for what we ought to do, not for what I expected us to do.

(* of all the signings Huddersfield made, the only one I think we have missed is Danny Williams and he cost them nought.)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Keep powder dry we're building for the long term Tone, no free loading journeymen please

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I said between 40-50 mill originally.. however we have spent over 50 mill with week left.. get Zahore/Hourihane and defender and we could spunk 70 million big ones!!!

The accounts next year will make interesting reading. Without looking it up I thought the financial uplift for promotion was about £120M. Increased wages + bonuses for promotion (inc non playing staff) has likely taken £20-£30M of that. Then there's the ground improvements plus we'll have no doubt hired extra admin/commercial people. Whilst transfer fees are amortised over the life of contract it looks to me like our cost and commitment has pretty well wiped out the 1st year benefit. We aren't going to recoup anything much from the likes of Ince, Hemed or JS if they go

Wonder be interested in any thoughts/insight of [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I didn't vote but thought £20-30m - I've been proven wrong.

If there's still spending to be done these last 9 days it'll probably top £50m - insane.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here